Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Caggiula - McDavid - Draisaitl
Spooner - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian
Rieder - Marody - Chiasson

... Once Rieder comes back and Puljujarvi is recalled. The 3rd and 4th lines get about equal playing time.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think it will be the opposite of what most are expecting in terms of how Hitch will handle Puju. I feel Hitch will work closely with Puju and try to develop him, seems like something Chia wants. Chia did say that "integrating youth" was a point of discussion with Hitch. Stauffer tweeted that Chia wanted Puju in the top 6 and Mclellan didn't. Now they're talking about brining him back up for the Dallas game. I think we see Chiasson dropped out of the top 6 and Puju given every opportunity there along with the PP.

Interesting about Pulju. I always suspected McLellan and Chia were not on the same page about how to utilize him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I'm pretty skeptical Pulju will gain any traction under Hitch. Just take a look at what occurred with Rattie/Marody tonight. Barely a shift between the two of them in the 3rd.

Brodziak and Kassian meanwhile see season highs in ice time as our "4th line" was actually our 3rd one tonight. Hitchcock loves his vets as much as any coach does.

That 4th line has been effective though. Lucic looked good in a role he's more suited to. And he gave McDavid a shift with Rattie. And his in game adjustments lead to a win. And who's Marody to expect to be gifted ice time.

Reactions: Porkleaker

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
"

Were these highlights posted from a couple games ago? Pulju looking pretty dynamic out there.

Reactions: Studz

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
"

Were these highlights posted from a couple games ago? Pulju looking pretty dynamic out there.

Thanks! I had completely missed these. He is looking great at the AHL level, which he should. Based on these highlights 3 points in 3 games is almost a little disappointing. I have to say that he looks a bit tentative about finishing his chances though - clearly he is still not at full confidence.

I would obviously love if the Oilers called him up, but I wonder if he would be best served by just scoring goals for a while against lesser competition to build his confidence after two years of McLellan. It isn't like he has scored that much these past years, might be good to get him back into the groove.

I hope Jere Lehtinen, GM of Team Finland, sends a text or something to his old fan/coach, Mr. Hitchcock and gives him a few pointers about Pulju.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Looks like he clicks well with Benson. Not super surprising, as Pulju seems to read well off high IQ players. McDavid, Aho, and even guys like Cammy.

Has he ever gotten an extended look with Nuge? Though if I had to make a bet, I wonder if Chia's getting some inspiration from his Boston days. If I remember correctly, Pasta broke into the league on a line with... *wait for it* Lucic and Spooner. (Looking a Boston GDT from the end of that season backs that up)

Reactions: MessierII

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Yeah it seems pretty clear to me that Hitch is here on a fairly explicit "Get Mediocre Roster Into Playoffs" mission here mandated from ownership on down.

I don't think the situation is the greatest to develop a young player at the NHL level. They should leave Puljujarvi and Yamamoto down for a good long stretch and make them really show something. It's probably not great for Marody as is, but we're kinda stuck with no 4th line center.
Not true. Both Chia and Hitch talked about the need to integrate youth this year as a primary focus

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Pulju on the left side taking a 1-timer on the PP??? Blasphemy!!

I posted this in the Bakersfield thread at the start of last week.

For once the Oil made the right move, sending Yama and Pulju down at the start of the week and letting them get couple practices in before game action.

I'll be curious to see if Woodcroft features Jesse in the LW circle/shooter's spot on the PP. If he does, I think that'll make it clear that it was TMac pulling the strings to not deploy him there.

... Welp that's that question answered. This strikes me as a Peter DeBoer/Adam Larsson situation; where for whatever reason, the coach just didn't like the player.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yeah I think it was obvious that McLellan didnt like Puljujarvi. I've always thought that Chiarelli and McLellan were not on the same page especially with Puljujravi (among other things).

I just think theres too many things in Puljujarvis head when hes trying to play. I think McLellan message confused him.

I am skeptical that Hitchcock will be good for Puljujarvi. I do think that Hitchcock will be more direct and hopefully work to Puljujarvi's skills. I just dont know if the tough love approach will be effective.

If JP works out for this team, it would be huge. They really need him. I hope Hitchcock is good for him.

Reactions: Aerrol

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I feel like things are going to come to a head rather quickly re: Pulju if/when he gets called back up to the big club.

Either he's going to finally become an everyday NHL player under Hitch and realize his potential, or Hitch is going to be the final coffin nail on his NHL career.

Hitch can be very demanding, but he's always struck me as fair. We'll see if Jesse has the mental fortitude to handle it.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I’m torn about whether Hitch will be good for Jesse or not. On the one hand, Hitch has proven time and time again to be a good teacher of the two way game, and he is under less of a gun than TMac was in terms of “win now or else!” I honestly dont think Hitch gaf about next year as this is most likely temporary regardless of outcome. Maybe that would allow him to be a bit more of a teacher.

On the other hand, hitch is a hard-ass and Jesse is clearly still really young and he somewhat struggles with confidence. I honestly dont know what to think.

I do hope they let him dominate down there for at least a while. I think it will build confidence and help him in the long run, plus a good statistical body of work will help make the “waaaah Poolparty is a bust” donkeys stfu for a while.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Has he ever gotten an extended look with Nuge? Though if I had to make a bet, I wonder if Chia's getting some inspiration from his Boston days. If I remember correctly, Pasta broke into the league on a line with... *wait for it* Lucic and Spooner. (Looking a Boston GDT from the end of that season backs that up)

I don't know about an extended one, but at the beginning of last season Jesse played some of his best games with Nuge. Most if not all fans thought they should've been kept together for longer and even McLellan said he demoted Jesse because he wanted him to push more out of the bottom6. So it's possible those two will be tried together at some point especially if Drai stays with McDavid.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
What I never understood is that we had a huge hole for a big right shot on the PP. We had a top 4 pick with a huge right shot. Why didn't we use him in that role?????

One of the best way's to use a young player is on the PP then minimize his 5x5 minutes by keeping him in the bottom six. We kept him in the bottom six but didn't use him on the PP and when we did it was in front of the net.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I think it's pretty safe to say Todd didn't like Jesse, whether that's personal or professionally I don't give a **** that immediately makes him Eakins level of a dip****.
What a joke. The guy played like junk. And a coach isn’t going to sit a guy because he doesn’t like him. It’s not in his self interest or the teams.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
What I never understood is that we had a huge hole for a big right shot on the PP. We had a top 4 pick with a huge right shot. Why didn't we use him in that role?????

One of the best way's to use a young player is on the PP then minimize his 5x5 minutes by keeping him in the bottom six. We kept him in the bottom six but didn't use him on the PP and when we did it was in front of the net.

Honestly McLellan just didnt make many good decisions imo. Its one to try something and it doesnt work out. It was like he was always too stubborn to try things out. Somethings are really obvious.

JP should of been tried on the PP at the position he had success with in junior. Its so obvious. I think with McLellan its just a old age problem where he tries to fit the players into his system rather than building a system based on the players strengths. I am not going to miss his stubborness.

space321

May 11, 2011

Because TMac #accountability. He's gotta earn his way there, while Lucic sat on PP1 for like 15 games before being removed.

Didn't Jesse play that right handed one timer position over Laine when they were on the Finnish world juniors team? I forget.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
What a joke. The guy played like junk. And a coach isn’t going to sit a guy because he doesn’t like him. It’s not in his self interest or the teams.

You can have that opinion, but I don't think it's just coincidence that dozens of Oilers (not just Pulju) fans have felt quite a few times during these years that McLellan hasn't been fair towards Pulju. Of course it doesn't mean Pulju hasn't ever deserved a harsher treatment, but I certainly wouldn't be laughing at others who feel Todd didn't really like Pulju.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
You can have that opinion, but I don't think it's just coincidence that dozens of Oilers (not just Pulju) fans have felt quite a few times during these years that McLellan hasn't been fair towards Pulju. Of course it doesn't mean Pulju hasn't ever deserved a harsher treatment, but I certainly wouldn't be laughing at others who feel Todd didn't really like Pulju.
The reasons all these posters think that is because he’s a 4th overall. If he was a 2nd rounder there would be zero outrage because his play wouldn’t warrant it.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Because TMac #accountability. He's gotta earn his way there, while Lucic sat on PP1 for like 15 games before being removed.

Didn't Jesse play that right handed one timer position over Laine when they were on the Finnish world juniors team? I forget.

Besides the national team Laine and Pulju had possibly the two best one-timers I've ever seen in the FEL. I'm sure I've forgotten some so maybe "one of the best" would be a better word for Jesse, but especially after the WJC it was such a threat I believe any other coach would've given that a go in the NHL. At least at the end of last season. But that's why I wouldn't be surprised to see Hitchcock do that, especially as they saw that bring an immediate rebound goal in Bakersfield.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
The reasons all these posters think that is because he’s a 4th overall. If he was a 2nd rounder there would be zero outrage because his play wouldn’t warrant it.

Things like that play a part, but there's been numerous times when his play warranted more than what he was given. In any case there were several players who got all the support possible without deserving that. It's obvious Todd had his favourites and Pulju wasn't one of them. I'm not going to write more about this to prevent repeating myself.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Yes and no. He’s got a hell of a shot and we haven’t utilized it, so it’s hard to place all the blame on him not scoring playing bottom 6. Let’s also not forget he was the leading scorer of the WJC (3 points ahead of Aho, 4 ahead of Laine, and 6 ahead of Matthews). He’s shown at other levels that he deserves a shot there. Draft position helps the argument, but there’s other reasons to think it as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad