Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Discussion Part 4 [UPD: Nov 24th Recalled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
I actually feel respect towards the writer(s?). A quick look shows some serious enthusiasm towards the Oilers and I I didn't see anything that would give a reason to believe it's written by a Pulju's fan. In fact I think it's better language than what you showed in this message of yours, with all respect.

Beer League Heroes
Thats funny.
It was written by someone with a child's sense of wonderment with JP.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Stauffer seems to think JP will start lower and gradually move up.

Let’s see how JP v2 (v3?) takes this recall. New coach and hopefully, for himself, a new outlook.

He’s obviously able to handle AHL (albeit very small sample this year) so we shall see if preseason JP shows up now or “TMac version”

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
Jesse is not a good shooting winger at the NHL level yet though

Lol, I don't trust anything I saw from any player (aside from McDavid) on the team. Kid has a bomb, might just need a little bit of confidence to start letting it go. It sucks that there is so little depth that we can't leave him in Bakersfield so he can demolish the league for a bit, but I understand the idea behind this. With Reider out, Nuge needs a winger and Spooner just doesn't seem to be it.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyHistorian

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Thats funny.
It was written by someone with a child's sense of wonderment with JP.

This is what the writer tells about himself:

I am from Camrose, Alberta but I make my home in Taipei City, Taiwan. I've been through the ups and downs and the highs and the Lowes, the Bonsignores and the McDavids, the Sathers and the Eakins but I'll never leave my Oilers, no matter what! They're with me until the end and then some. GO OILERS GO!

He's written plenty of articles about the Oilers and from what I've seen not too much about Puljujarvi, so to me he looks like a guy who's following the Oilers and the Condors closely. Anyway, my life honestly isn't affected by what people think about how Pulju is doing in the AHL, but there's been several promising reports which you as an Oilers fan should maybe feel happy about.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Doesn't Hitchcock have a reputation for not trusting younger players?

Hopefully he at least gives Jesse a fair chance in the top 6 with PP time now that his job isn't really at risk.
You'd have to think that they discussed these things when hiring Hitch. I hope they will give a proper chance for him to succeed after getting the shaft for two years.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I just hope he looks good when he comes up. If he struggles coming up I think it just makes Chiarelli look stupid and desperate. He wasn’t down there long and was having success. I hope he looks good because we really need him playing well.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I just hope he looks good when he comes up. If he struggles coming up I think it just makes Chiarelli look stupid and desperate. He wasn’t down there long and was having success. I hope he looks good because we really need him playing well.

Meh, he’ll make one not great play inbhis first game and the usual posters here will be posting 20x about how terrible he was all game. For some reason there’s some trolls here who take great satisfaction in a young Oiler player not lighting thing up.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Hasn't even been the best player down there

Taking a rough look at the roster, in the 4 games he was down there he was their leading scorer and was averaging over 4 shots per game. In your opinion, who was better?

Not trying to say it was a bulletproof idea to call him back up after only 4 games, though having Hitchcock give an unbiased opinion on him isn't a terrible idea...time will tell, and they can always send him back down again. I expect that if Pulju wants to stay up he'd better show something early, I don't think Hitch will take very long in making a call on him.

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017
I actually feel respect towards the writer(s?). A quick look shows some serious enthusiasm towards the Oilers and I I didn't see anything that would give a reason to believe it's written by a Pulju's fan. In fact I think it's better language than what you showed in this message of yours, with all respect.

Beer League Heroes
This Daryl guy is a known anti-Oiler shill, please pay no attention to him. Probably a fake account of some Leafs kid.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Meh, he’ll make one not great play inbhis first game and the usual posters here will be posting 20x about how terrible he was all game. For some reason there’s some trolls here who take great satisfaction in a young Oiler player not lighting thing up.

Just as many posters turning one routine play into a stroke of genius and rivaling Grezky

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Taking a rough look at the roster, in the 4 games he was down there he was their leading scorer and was averaging over 4 shots per game. In your opinion, who was better?

Not trying to say it was a bulletproof idea to call him back up after only 4 games, though having Hitchcock give an unbiased opinion on him isn't a terrible idea...time will tell, and they can always send him back down again. I expect that if Pulju wants to stay up he'd better show something early, I don't think Hitch will take very long in making a call on him.
From what I saw Benson was more dynamic imo and I think Hebig had been a little better overall. Not saying he isn't a better player or anything just that, he was playing well at that level but nothing to warrant a callup after 4 games.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I'd imagine he plays alongside RNH. They wouldn't call him up to play him on the 4th line and he's not going to play alongside Brodziak on an "identity" line. They should also put him on PP2 as the shooter on the left side finally, this team needs a threat to score from the outside and I don't see a better option currently on the roster.

It makes sense from one point of view to call him up now given how well he's been playing and that the Oilers/Condors are both in California right now. It probably would have served him to continue to build on that confidence in Bakersfield but if he can translate his play in the AHL to the NHL now that McLellan's shackles are off it could really boost the Oilers offensive depth. Hopefully Hitch helps Pulju grow as an NHL player.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
IMO toss him up with Nuge and run with it.

I like the idea of Cags/McDavid/Pulju and Spooner/Nuge/Draisaitl, with Reider filling in for Spooner once he gets back. Only issue is what do you do with Chiasson.

I think with this lineup, barring production from Jesse obviously, the Oilers have 3 lines that are a threat. I mean Lucics line hasn't provided anything yet, but that game in Anaheim was dominant by them.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I like the idea of Cags/McDavid/Pulju and Spooner/Nuge/Draisaitl, with Reider filling in for Spooner once he gets back. Only issue is what do you do with Chiasson.

I think with this lineup, barring production from Jesse obviously, the Oilers have 3 lines that are a threat. I mean Lucics line hasn't provided anything yet, but that game in Anaheim was dominant by them.
I cannot see that happening with Hitchcock. He usually likes having at least 2 great players on the top line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad