Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Discussion Part 4 [UPD: Nov 24th Recalled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think the best thing for Pulju is to stay down in Bakersfield. Allow the kid to get into a groove and build some confidence.

Unless Hitchcock is a wizard, I don't see any reason why you'd bring him up. Well I guess except for the fact that this team has no quality wingers whatsoever.

But IMO Pulju is at a critical stage in his development and Oilers really need him to turn into something, so his development should be more important than what the club needs short-term at this point.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Really it just a case of the poor depth on the NHL club. We badly need some talent there. Just life with a lineup with glaring holes and a management team desperate to keep jobs.

On pins and needles waiting to see if Pulju can win Hitch over.

Last edited:

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
To be fair, they called up Drai when he basically sulked and sucked in the minors, after only 6 games, and he worked out more than fine.

Pulju also worked fine for quite a while after being called up last season. There's a good chance a coach like Hitchcock could've helped with keeping that going on. I'm sure Pulju is excited to show what he's got to the new coach so I'm not sure the only way to develop him well is to keep him in the AHL, but I understand the logic behind that too.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
So Marody has been sent down and Puljujarvi will join the team on Sunday.

Probably the best for Cooper, they haven't played him all that much. Better off in Bakersfield playing big minutes.

I was hoping to see Jesse down for a while but he has performed. So where does Hitch slot him in. First line is taken by Draisaitl so does that mean he's going to line up with RNH?

I hope so. So sick of seeing him on the 3rd on 4th lines. I'm praying it all comes together for him now and he goes on a tear.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
And lots of PP time too please

It's such a shame McLellan didn't utilize the chance he had to develop Pulju at the end of the last season. IMO that was the perfect place to finally try him in his natural PP position. I don't know if anyone remembers it but the only time he did that was at the beginning of Jesse's first season and he actually did fine and hit the post/crossbar several times. The fans were disappointed he was replaced by Letestu so soon.

Now he's two years older and at least got to try that a bit with Woodcroft. I wouldn't be too surprised if Hitchcock places him there too, as he seems like a coach who does his homework and who doesn't go for only short time solutions. One maybe questionable line choice doesn't change the way I feel about that. I hope McLellan takes a deep look into a mirror if Hitch manages to get Pulju going with proper communication and usage.

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It's such a shame McLellan didn't utilize the chance he had to develop Pulju at the end of the last season. IMO that was the perfect place to finally try him in his natural PP position. I don't know if anyone remembers it but the only time he did that was at the beginning of Jesse's first season and he actually did fine and hit the post/crossbar several times. The fans were disappointed he he was replaced by Letestu so soon.

Now he's two years older and at least got to try that a bit with Woodcroft. I wouldn't be too surprised if Hitchcock places him there too, as he seems like a coach who does his homework and who doesn't go for only short time solutions. One maybe questionable line choice doesn't change the way I feel about that. I hope McLellan takes a deep look into a mirror if Hitch manages to get Pulju going with proper communication and usage.

Yeah, there was a point with McLellan where his stubborness completely took over his handling of Pulju. Was no longer about trying to give the team the best shot to win, but instead about McLellan’s ego. That affected many parts of this team, especially the PP overall.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Woodcroft has been using Puljujarvi in the one time spot on the powerplay, which could mean that McLellan was the problem for Puljujarvi's powerplay usage.

I think there's a very good reason to believe so. Pulju used to be one of the best if not even the very best of his age group in the combined QB'ing/shooter's role. It takes a stubborn man to totally neglect at least trying that at times when the PP is the worst of the league and/or after the playoff dream is gone.

It's possible McLellan could've saved his own ass if he'd developed Pulju in the top6+that PP role at least at the end of the previous season. At least having Pulju readier in that role would've given him another piece to work with. If things click under Hitchcock it's going to look quite terrible on McLellan, but I have to say I won't feel sorry for him in this case.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Jesus christ that shot by Bear on that play. What a rocket. I wish he could skate better so we could just call him up and give McDavid a real point shot option.

Edit: I see I'm not the only one who took that away from that highlight :laugh:

Good on Jesse to be ready for the rebound too. Puck quick off his stick is what he needs at the NHL level.

Reactions: Oilhawks

WigWam

May 22, 2015
So Marody has been sent down and Puljujarvi will join the team on Sunday.

Probably the best for Cooper, they haven't played him all that much. Better off in Bakersfield playing big minutes.

I was hoping to see Jesse down for a while but he has performed. So where does Hitch slot him in. First line is taken by Draisaitl so does that mean he's going to line up with RNH?

I hope so. So sick of seeing him on the 3rd on 4th lines. I'm praying it all comes together for him now and he goes on a tear.

Too soon for Jesse !!

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Can’t leave everyone down there. The big club needs help now.

Much as it would be nice to leave all of Benson/Hebig/Puljuarvi/Yamamoto down. It’s not realistic

Reactions: Oilhawks

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I've been paying attention to the amount of messages and threads about Puljujarvi. It's been pretty insane, so at least there's been a lot of discussion around him. I just realized this "part 4" is actually the part 4 for this 18-19 season. IMO it would be better to show that in the thread, e.g. Part 4 / 18-19 season. I am one of the people who sometimes dig things from older threads and that would make things clearer.

Here's the threads about Pulju during this calender year:

4th overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called up 11/10/17
Jesse Puljujarvi His mouth contain his tongue only when he eats pizza
18-19 Season
18-19 Season Part II
Part 3: Hard times
Part 4

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
In case anyone's interested I found some takes about Pulju and some others in Bakersfield after his first two games:

Edmonton Oilers Opinion: Puljujarvi Tearing Up the AHL, Matt Tka-turtle and McLellan’s BS

Some quotes which may open up why he was called up already now:

I’ve watched both games that Jesse Puljujarvi has played in since being sent down and let me tell you… WOW! Not a sign of poor confidence that I’ve seen.

Remember how Pulju was looking during pre-season when we all thought the Oilers RW depth was sorted? Well, he looks even better than that vs AHL competition.

in the hockey playing department, he was looking like that kid who was dominating the SM-Liigga as a 17-year-old.

He was hitting, skating, shooting, making plays, and just being the end-to-end force we know he can be. Seriously. I have never seen him play like that apart from maybe the World Juniors but even then I’m not sure the physicality was there.

I love how Woodcroft is using him. He knows exactly how to use him and it’s so refreshing. You see, Puljujarvi is a line driver. He, like Connor and Leon, loves to swoop into the d-zone and gather the puck in order to drive it through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone but Todd will not allow that on his team. Only Connor is supposed to be doing that I’ve heard. Great way to put a guy in a position to succeed.

In both matches, Jesse Puljujarvi was slicing through AHL defenses like a hot Finnish blade through some Valio. It could be the adrenaline but I’m willing to bet that he’s just too good for this league with the way he’s punishing the opposition.

After the first game, where he was bulldozing players and getting into scraps, I felt really proud of Jesse because it’s not easy to take a demotion like that and the way he has chosen to channel that emotion really impresses me. He’s using it to be the better player on the ice and if he continues to play like this, he’ll earn a call-up to the Oilers in no time. Hopefully, by then the Oilers will have a new bench boss that will use him properly.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The 1st reply by Wayne in that tweet is simply GOLD!

I found "Waqas Khan's " tweet to be quite eloquent haha.

Anyway, it seems like they are all echoing the sentiments of most of us that it's too soon to recall him.
Why not try Hebig? Now he has earned a recall, not just because he was drafted high once upon a time. Management still doesn't get it.

Reactions: booyakasha

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I found "Waqas Khan's " tweet to be quite eloquent haha.

Anyway, it seems like they are all echoing the sentiments of most of us that it's too soon to recall him.
Why not try Hebig? Now he has earned a recall, not just because he was drafted high once upon a time. Management still doesn't get it.

As I wrote I understand Pulju being the one called up now, though I wouldn't be against keeping him down for a bit longer either. I just feel him playing like that in the AHL shows that he is feeling confident and it could be a great time to call him up as he must be excited about having a new coach.

Of course there are always risks, but keeping Pulju down could carry some as well. If things go as I hope and actually believe Hitch will find some good use for Pulju and if that brings some extra points for the team they could prove very important in the spring. Remember, at his best he scored 6 goals in 12 games with practically no PP time, so if Hitch could bring that Pulju back the team could certainly use it.

Anyway, I'm sure Hitch is aware of the situation and makes the final call. I want to trust him at this point, but we'll see how things go. Like I said I understand both camps in this one.

Reactions: HockeyHistorian

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
In case anyone's interested I found some takes about Pulju and some others in Bakersfield after his first two games:

Edmonton Oilers Opinion: Puljujarvi Tearing Up the AHL, Matt Tka-turtle and McLellan’s BS

Some quotes which may open up why he was called up already now:

I’ve watched both games that Jesse Puljujarvi has played in since being sent down and let me tell you… WOW! Not a sign of poor confidence that I’ve seen.

Remember how Pulju was looking during pre-season when we all thought the Oilers RW depth was sorted? Well, he looks even better than that vs AHL competition.

in the hockey playing department, he was looking like that kid who was dominating the SM-Liigga as a 17-year-old.

He was hitting, skating, shooting, making plays, and just being the end-to-end force we know he can be. Seriously. I have never seen him play like that apart from maybe the World Juniors but even then I’m not sure the physicality was there.

I love how Woodcroft is using him. He knows exactly how to use him and it’s so refreshing. You see, Puljujarvi is a line driver. He, like Connor and Leon, loves to swoop into the d-zone and gather the puck in order to drive it through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone but Todd will not allow that on his team. Only Connor is supposed to be doing that I’ve heard. Great way to put a guy in a position to succeed.

In both matches, Jesse Puljujarvi was slicing through AHL defenses like a hot Finnish blade through some Valio. It could be the adrenaline but I’m willing to bet that he’s just too good for this league with the way he’s punishing the opposition.

After the first game, where he was bulldozing players and getting into scraps, I felt really proud of Jesse because it’s not easy to take a demotion like that and the way he has chosen to channel that emotion really impresses me. He’s using it to be the better player on the ice and if he continues to play like this, he’ll earn a call-up to the Oilers in no time. Hopefully, by then the Oilers will have a new bench boss that will use him properly.
How old was the guy who wrote this. My lord. Its over the top. Ripping up the A. 4 points. Getting into scraps . 1 , that he obviously wanted no part of (btw, I don't see the scrap or how he did as a negative, it was good I guess he would engage). Slicing thru D. Please.
It was written by a fan boy on steroids

space321

May 11, 2011
Doesn't Hitchcock have a reputation for not trusting younger players?

Hopefully he at least gives Jesse a fair chance in the top 6 with PP time now that his job isn't really at risk.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
How old was the guy who wrote this. My lord. Its over the top. Ripping up the A. 4 points. Getting into scraps . 1 , that he obviously wanted no part of (btw, I don't see the scrap or how he did as a negative, it was good I guess he would engage). Slicing thru D. Please.
It was written by a fan boy on steroids

I actually feel respect towards the writer(s?). A quick look shows some serious enthusiasm towards the Oilers and I I didn't see anything that would give a reason to believe it's written by a Pulju's fan. In fact I think it's better language than what you showed in this message of yours, with all respect.

Beer League Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad