Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi '18-19 Season Part 5, Jesse Bumped Up the Line-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Puljujarvi looking right at RNH before the defenders stick even hits his. Puljujarvi also has a nice pick on the play to keep the lane open for RNH.

Edit: I say play him on the 3rd line and tell the guys you want him carrying the puck. Would be interesting to see what happens.
Make it full size and watch it frame by frame at the 39 second mark, RNH was coming up in Pulju's blindspot with the Calgary defenders on him, his head is down when the Flames defender hits his stick, his stick also wasn't properly angled to give the puck a bit of backwards motion/deceleration needed for RNH to skate into it, his head follows the puck once his stick is contacted not before, and him picking up the toe on his left skate looked like an instinctual reaction that he wanted to corral the puck he lost with his skate prior to seeing RNH.

Though Nabob is kind of right that people see what they want to see cause of McDavid made that play I'd give him full credit, but he's shown a level of ability to anticipate his opponents and teammates to an extent that he's made blind passes and used defenders to his own advantage a ton of times.

Regardless it was a very good play on Jesse's part, just seemed like a little bit of luck factored into it ending up in the net on that rush.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You’re seeing what you want to see on that play.
Its not me. At the time I had felt it was a good pass, and was surprised because its so infrequent with Pulju. Another poster here had posted that the pass was inadvertent and showed an angle that revealed his stick was bumped.

Regardless of whether its one or the other the fact is this guy has no finish. Just hopeless around the net. Sure he can bull around but the best he can do is create chaos. He's a high pick without the commensurate skill and dexterity. He chops the puck to bits like an also ran.

ps the stick check by the Flame there knocking the puck away from Pulju is crystal clear. How can people not see that. There is a windup, contact, and the puck goes towards RNH in sync timing with the stick check.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
See you’re just wrong here. The way the defenders stick hits Puljujarvi’s. The puck should have went straight sideways towards the sideboards, but it doesn’t do that. Puljujarvi kept enough control of the puck that even when he got stick checked, he got it back to the player he knew was flying down the wing. It was really an incredible play. And I’d say it’s a fluke if I didn’t see him make those same types of plays at the WJC’s.

Everything from the timing of the stick check to the angle and the puck going towards Nuge in Sync with the windup and contact of the stick check makes it clear what happened there.

Jebus, we're going back to the WJ's as evidence that a player that has been nothing at this level has NHL commensurate skill and ability? Its been several seasons and this player can't adapt to NHL time and space and never has really. You realize how silly it is going back to Juniors as evidence that he has skill to play at this level? Theres been no indication of the latter. He has 9pts. An incredibly inept total for a high pick player.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Make it full size and watch it frame by frame at the 39 second mark, RNH was coming up in Pulju's blindspot with the Calgary defenders on him, his head is down when the Flames defender hits his stick, his stick also wasn't properly angled to give the puck a bit of backwards motion/deceleration needed for RNH to skate into it, his head follows the puck once his stick is contacted not before, and him picking up the toe on his left skate looked like an instinctual reaction that he wanted to corral the puck he lost with his skate prior to seeing RNH.

Though Nabob is kind of right that people see what they want to see cause of McDavid made that play I'd give him full credit, but he's shown a level of ability to anticipate his opponents and teammates to an extent that he's made blind passes and used defenders to his own advantage a ton of times.

Regardless it was a very good play on Jesse's part, just seemed like a little bit of luck factored into it ending up in the net on that rush.

Watch his shoulders and chest, his body is turning towards RNH before the stick check even happens.

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Personally no but I heard lots of people talking about him and being optimistic.

I never heard any of the potential bust talk with him.

And even so, he was better on the NHL that year then Pulju is now.
There was a lot of talk of him being a big disappointment and not being able to cut it as a top 6 point producer.

Reactions: dawunderboy

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Oh my how is this even a debate? It was a stick check. You'd think he was Gretzky with that kind of vision.

What's next? Jesse walks on water even tho we all know it's ice

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Oh my how is this even a debate? It was a stick check. You'd think he was Gretzky with that kind of vision.

Actually it looks like Jesse is running around in sneakers on the ice. It would explain him falling all ove the place.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Yeah it's kinda funny that Pulju detractors get labelled as seeing what they want to see, when it really is the opposite. Like come on, the guy has 17 goals and 37 points in 137 NHL games and has shown little to nothing in the NHL as a whole. Many of his points seem purely incidental. He has shown very little skill in these games and I really don't know how anyone could argue the opposite.

Its not me. At the time I had felt it was a good pass, and was surprised because its so infrequent with Pulju. Another poster here had posted that the pass was inadvertent and showed an angle that revealed his stick was bumped.

Regardless of whether its one or the other the fact is this guy has no finish. Just hopeless around the net. Sure he can bull around but the best he can do is create chaos. He's a high pick without the commensurate skill and dexterity. He chops the puck to bits like an also ran.

ps the stick check by the Flame there knocking the puck away from Pulju is crystal clear. How can people not see that. There is a windup, contact, and the puck goes towards RNH in sync timing with the stick check.

It's funny because that's exactly what I saw with him in his draft year (or actually even the year before that at the WJC). No idea how people never picked up on that. That was my biggest issue with him then and it's not something that he has been able to fix in the 3-4 years that has gone by since. The NHL is a cut-throat league, not being able to bury your chances is a death sentence for a skill forward and often the difference between an NHLer and an AHLer.

Everything from the timing of the stick check to the angle and the puck going towards Nuge in Sync with the windup and contact of the stick check makes it clear what happened there.

Jebus, we're going back to the WJ's as evidence that a player that has been nothing at this level has NHL commensurate skill and ability? Its been several seasons and this player can't adapt to NHL time and space and never has really. You realize how silly it is going back to Juniors as evidence that he has skill to play at this level? Theres been no indication of the latter. He has 9pts. An incredibly inept total for a high pick player.

This is also pretty striking, how people have to really dig to find something Jesse has done well or at a high level. If he really was that good or there was a high-level player in him, you would see it more often.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

alesis

Dec 1, 2008
Actually it looks like Jesse is running around in sneakers on the ice. It would explain him falling all ove the place.
Anybody remember he was told to change the shape of his blades. It is not easy to trust the new blades, anybody who plays hockey knows that. He also was told to shorten his stick. Go ahead and try how that feels... but to be honest, he should be over that by now.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Who cares if the pass was intentional or not?

Give him full credit for it fine. Good pass. Great job Puljujarvi. That’s still one notable offensive play in a months worth of hockey.

The dude has one flash of legitimate NHL potential every 10 games or so. Not even for an entire game. Just for one play. That’s not special. It’s frightening.

Puljujarvi isn’t a bust because he’s not already a top 6 player. He’s a bust because he hasn’t shown an ounce of improvement or development in 3 years. He’s as bad in the NHL today as he was on day one of his rookie year.

alesis

Dec 1, 2008
Hitchcock thinks he is helping the team more than hurting it, because he has not been sent down? If they were to trade him, they would give him some spotlight with McDavid and Drai.
And who honestly thinks Jesse would refuse to go to AHL even if he could? He is not that kind of guy..

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Agree with you. He did not intend to pass that, it got knocked off his stick to Nuge. Fortuitous play thatturned out well.

At any rate, just one measly play in a season. On his body of work, he still needs lots of time down on the farm. The jury is still very much out on this player.

Reactions: frag2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Who cares if the pass was intentional or not?

Give him full credit for it fine. Good pass. Great job Puljujarvi. That’s still one notable offensive play in a months worth of hockey.

The dude has one flash of legitimate NHL potential every 10 games or so. Not even for an entire game. Just for one play. That’s not special. It’s frightening.

Puljujarvi isn’t a bust because he’s not already a top 6 player. He’s a bust because he hasn’t shown an ounce of improvement or development in 3 years. He’s as bad in the NHL today as he was on day one of his rookie year.
That's not special,that's Zack Kassian

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah it's kinda funny that Pulju detractors get labelled as seeing what they want to see, when it really is the opposite. Like come on, the guy has 17 goals and 37 points in 137 NHL games and has shown little to nothing in the NHL as a whole. Many of his points seem purely incidental. He has shown very little skill in these games and I really don't know how anyone could argue the opposite.

It's funny because that's exactly what I saw with him in his draft year (or actually even the year before that at the WJC). No idea how people never picked up on that. That was my biggest issue with him then and it's not something that he has been able to fix in the 3-4 years that has gone by since. The NHL is a cut-throat league, not being able to bury your chances is a death sentence for a skill forward and often the difference between an NHLer and an AHLer.

This is also pretty striking, how people have to really dig to find something Jesse has done well or at a high level. If he really was that good or there was a high-level player in him, you would see it more often.

It was one specific play where a specific poster saw what he wanted to see. Not sure what that has to do with 136 other games. The rest of your strawman and conjecture is equally as irrelevant.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It was one specific play where a specific poster saw what he wanted to see. Not sure what that has to do with 136 other games. The rest of your strawman and conjecture is equally as irrelevant.

I thought you put me on ignore?

Supsonshirt.jpg

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Agree with you. He did not intend to pass that, it got knocked off his stick to Nuge. Fortuitous play thatturned out well.

At any rate, just one measly play in a season. On his body of work, he still needs lots of time down on the farm. The jury is still very much out on this player.

I still think JP doesn't know what kind of player he is and the team doesn't know what he actually can do.

Fail on both sides.

Reactions: nabob

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Some have said he isn't a player that reacts well to being sent down. Production wise not sure if it hurts or helps him.
Hitchcock thinks he is helping the team more than hurting it, because he has not been sent down? If they were to trade him, they would give him some spotlight with McDavid and Drai.
And who honestly thinks Jesse would refuse to go to AHL even if he could? He is not that kind of guy..

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Anybody remember he was told to change the shape of his blades. It is not easy to trust the new blades, anybody who plays hockey knows that. He also was told to shorten his stick. Go ahead and try how that feels... but to be honest, he should be over that by now.
Why is the coaching staff giving him so much rope. More than other players would have been given. He might need to go to the AHL to get it figured out. Needs to work with a skating coach in the off season.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Didn't somebody recommend to him to shorten his stick. It looks huge.

He didn't listen. Kept it the same

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Did you just waste time posting something that you think you already know?

So... Yes? Or do you have sources on any of your claims?

I remember reading he was suggested to shorten his stick, but you just went and tried to paint him as someone who's ignoring coaching because you think it still looks long?

He's struggling enough with what we can see, making up baseless accusations to further your hatred agenda just makes you look like someone nobody will ever be able to take seriously because you're blinded by irrational hatred.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So... Yes? Or do you have sources on any of your claims?

I remember reading he was suggested to shorten his stick, but you just went and tried to paint him as someone who's ignoring coaching because you think it still looks long?

He's struggling enough with what we can see, making up baseless accusations to further your hatred agenda just makes you look like someone nobody will ever be able to take seriously because you're blinded by irrational hatred.
What?

They suggested to him to shorten his stick and he didn't.

So either he didn't listen or he just...didn't do it?

There is no narrative being created here.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I still think JP doesn't know what kind of player he is and the team doesn't know what he actually can do.

Fail on both sides.

Big fails on both sides for sure. Might not be a total lost cause but it’s getting close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad