Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part V: Called Up 11/10/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
First of all Drai played mostly with Hall in 15-16. you'll remember McDavid being injured much of that season.

Let me know if theres any more nonsense you want me to dispel. its raining outside, I have some time. ;)

Is Hall not a Hart nominee, and the deserving winner, this year? Safe to say Drai got opportunities that weren't provided to Puljujarvi.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
As demonstrated half of Pulju's EV toi this season was topsix minutes and almost all of his goals were. Fact of the matter is he put up basically nothing in bottomsix configuration so as to impress upon the team that he consistently deserved better minutes (which he got lots of anyway) Lets not pretend this player was buried in bottomsix like Slepychev was.

Fair question to ask why Pulju, who had 8 goals up to December 29, 2017 only had 4 the rest of the way in the remaining 45GP.

I would feel somewhat differently if the good came after the bad. But its hard to ignore the last 45GP being very unproductive. A span in which Pulju was scoring once a month and looked invisible on most nights.

Half his minutes were top 6, all of his goals were top 5 minutes. Play him regularly in the top 6 where he belongs and he's a 25 goal scorer.

Amazing you can't grasp the obvious which you are pouting out. Not sure why some players are gifted top 6 minutes from day one and others while playing well in the top 6 get demoted and forced to play their off wing on the 4th line. For the amount you cry about Drai having to play without McDavid and with superior linemates, you'd think you'd support Puljujarvi getting good linemates as well. Instead your biases and double standard shine through.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So maybe we should start giving Puljujarvi some opportunity in the top 6. It worked with Draisaitl, and I expect the same with Pulju. Every time he's played with McDavid he's impressed me.

We can't expect him to put up crazy number playing 4th line minutes with next to no PP time. 10 EV goals this year with that usage is pretty damn impressive.
Yeah as @Drivesaitl aleeady pointed out he did well when used in a top 6 role and scored at a pace of close to 25 goals over the average of the season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Half his minutes were top 6, all of his goals were top 5 minutes. Play him regularly in the top 6 where he belongs and he's a 25 goal scorer.

Amazing you can't grasp the obvious which you are pouting out. Not sure why some players are gifted top 6 minutes from day one and others while playing well in the top 6 get demoted and forced to play their off wing on the 4th line. For the amount you cry about Drai having to play without McDavid and with superior linemates, you'd think you'd support Puljujarvi getting good linemates as well. Instead your biases and double standard shine through.

Actually the only double standard I'm seeing here is your nonstop mentioning of Draisaitl in a thread about Pulju. Which is fine as it befits your patended brand of misdirection nonsense. Its only just amusing, and the only reason I respond to it.

Next, Pulju had 20 pts. That's it. Its interesting you have such a strong feeling based on that, that he was wronged by the club granting such liberal topsix minutes to a player that didn't get much done.

You can mumble something else about Draisaitl. go...

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Next, kind of disingenuous to suggest Pulju was going to be anything like a 25 goal scorer last season when he pretty much disappeared the last 45 games and despite still getting an up and down mix of rotations. His production simply disappeared. Nothing the team tried was kickstarting any results.

The thing is if one wants to prorate an outlier 8goals/20 games as indicative of the player, you can feel free to do that. Doesn't mean the player who disappeared for more than half a season will deliver on it.

The reality here is Pulju played somewhat well for maybe 20 games. If that. The reality is he has 13 Career NHL goals with the vast majority of those taking place within a short period of time. Not too recently either.

Its hard enough watching Oilers hockey without seeing a prospect pretty much pack it in for most of a season. That was disappointing.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Actually the only double standard I'm seeing here is your nonstop mentioning of Draisaitl in a thread about Pulju. Which is fine as it befits your patended brand of misdirection nonsense. Its only just amusing, and the only reason I respond to it.

Next, Pulju had 20 pts. That's it. Its interesting you have such a strong feeling based on that, that he was wronged by the club granting such liberal topsix minutes to a player that didn't get much done.

You can mumble something else about Draisaitl. go...

This post doesn't make any sense. You are the one that claimed he put up solid top 6 goal scoring numbers while playing top 6 minutes yet refuse to acknowledge the same stats you presented.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This post doesn't make any sense. You are the one that claimed he put up solid top 6 goal scoring numbers while playing top 6 minutes yet refuse to acknowledge the same stats you presented.

Certainly it makes sense. Pulju played somewhat well for a brief period of time and imo got rewarded with outlier results. Basically during that time everything was going for him. Some things that were likely unsustainable. Which the last 45 games only reinforces. Don't confuse a brief period of being able to put something together with being able to do that on an ongoing basis and having the perseverance to do that.

Unless he changes up his game and starts to learn how to dominate and protect the puck at this level expecting 20 goals is probably headed for disappointment. The concern is how ordinary the player looked the vast majority of the time. Of how incapable he was to sustain possession, drives, or even enthusiasm.

How many games really do you see Pulju even earnestly trying to attack opponent D or take it to them? Most of the time he looked like a listless passenger. The concern is not how he looks the few times he's on. Its how few times this occurs.

Resilience in ones play is extremely important in the highest rung of hockey. Not saying Pulju at some point won't find that but its pretty disconcerting being that Chia banked on this player being ready and him obviously not matching the plans for him this past season.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Certainly it makes sense. Pulju played somewhat well for a brief period of time and imo got rewarded with outlier results. Basically during that time everything was going for him. Some things that were likely unsustainable. Which the last 45 games only reinforces. Don't confuse a brief period of being able to put something together with being able to do that on an ongoing basis and having the perseverance to do that.

Unless he changes up his game and starts to learn how to dominate and protect the puck at this level expecting 20 goals is probably headed for disappointment. The concern is how ordinary the player looked the vast majority of the time. Of how incapable he was to sustain possession, drives, or even enthusiasm.

How many games really do you see Pulju even earnestly trying to attack opponent D or take it to them? Most of the time he looked like a listless passenger. The concern is not how he looks the few times he's on. Its how few times this occurs.

Resilience in ones play is extremely important in the highest rung of hockey. Not saying Pulju at some point won't find that but its pretty disconcerting being that Chia banked on this player being ready and him obviously not matching the plans for him this past season.
So 37 games is too brief a period, but 45 games is soooo much longer? You've caught yourself in a web of your own ignorance here, constantly contradicting yourself.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So 37 games is too brief a period, but 45 games is soooo much longer? You've caught yourself in a web of your own ignorance here, constantly contradicting yourself.

Responses like this make it harder to take your comments seriously.

Pulju played 65 NHL games, you know that right? The rest were in the AHL. What you lazily did there is pretend that he played 37 games in the NHL this season aside from the period of 45 games in which he stagnated.

I'll be so clear its impossible for you to get it wrong. Pulju had some success until Dec 29, 2017. 20 games. Since then he saw very rare production. A goal a month on average the last 4 mths (45gp)of the season.

But the irony in your post about me evoking a web of lies when you are implying a fictitious 82 GP is honestly funny. Do you even fathom how silly your points are when you are dead wrong on such elemental things as amount of GP?

In short that you don't have enough of a clue to even know where and when Pulju played here but you expect to be taken seriously on the subject. my lord.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Pulju played 65 NHL games, you know that right? The rest were in the AHL. What you lazily did there is pretend that he played 37 games in the NHL this season aside from the period of 45 games in which he stagnated.

I'll be so clear its impossible for you to get it wrong. Pulju had some success until Dec 29, 2017. 20 games. Since then he saw very rare production. A goal a month on average the last 4 mths (45gp)of the season.

But the irony in your post about me evoking a web of lies when you are implying a fictitious 82 GP is honestly funny. Do you even fathom how silly your points are when you are dead wrong on such elemental things as amount of GP?

In short that you don't have enough of a clue to even know where and when Pulju played here but you expect to be taken seriously on the subject. my lord.
How come it is okay for you to use the linemates excuse when Draisaitl is saddled with garbage linemates, yet when Puljujarvi gets saddled with garbage linemates, it's his fault?

Reactions: PulYou and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

So he would have scored at an even higher rate than the 25 goals than I thought. No wonder why his G/60 was so high. But keep on wishing failure upon Oilers players in hopes that it makes your favorite players look even better. You care more about the name on the back of the jersey for your faves than you do the name on the front. You've wanted Nuge to fail for years because he subplanted your Sammy Gagner. Now you want Puljujarvi to fail because you think it will make Drai look better. Maybe I'll just put you back on ignore Replacement and pretend you're banned again.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
How come it is okay for you to use the linemates excuse when Draisaitl is saddled with garbage linemates, yet when Puljujarvi gets saddled with garbage linemates, it's his fault?

Because he hopes certain players fail to make his own favorites look better.

It is funny though that he wasn't a vocal Drai fan until he broke through. Barely said a peep about him. Yet pretends to be all knowing about Puljujarvi.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Wait one player had 70 pts and produced regardless of who he was with. The other had 20 pts and disappeared for 45 GP, maybe there is a difference.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So he would have scored at an even higher rate than the 25 goals than I thought. No wonder why his G/60 was so high. But keep on wishing failure upon Oilers players in hopes that it makes your favorite players look even better. You care more about the name on the back of the jersey for your faves than you do the name on the front. You've wanted Nuge to fail for years because he subplanted your Sammy Gagner. Now you want Puljujarvi to fail because you think it will make Drai look better. Maybe I'll just put you back on ignore Replacement and pretend you're banned again.

Why don't you do that instead of making up missives about posters you disagree with.

I certainly don't want Pulju to fail. Pathetic that you would suggest that.

Theres enough failure on the Oilers without wanting failure to occur.

Anyway silly summer is taking over again here, bye now.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Wait one player had 70 pts and produced regardless of who he was with. The other had 20 pts and disappeared for 45 GP, maybe there is a difference.
Draisaitl sure did fantastic in his first year, and tailed off hard in his second year, yet no mention of that from you

Reactions: nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Why don't you do that instead of making up missives about posters you disagree with.

I certainly don't want Pulju to fail. Pathetic that you would suggest that.

Theres enough failure on the Oilers without wanting failure to occur.

Anyway silly summer is taking over again here, bye now.

You have completely theeadjacked this thread and almost every post is you celebrating the 45 games he struggled while totally dismissing the fact that he scored at a top 6 pace while being given top 6 ice time. You are the same poster who highjacked every single PGT in which Puljujarvi had a good game to point out how it wasn't the norm and how a good game by him shouldn't be celebrated.
I have to apologize to the other posters here for continuing to feed your trolling efforts of negativity the same threadjacking posts and efforts that previously got you banned. I will cease replying to you Replacement from now on, and cannot wait until next season when Puljujarvi proves you wrong only to see your phony replies to others saying you only ever had positive hopes for the player. The lengths you have gone to crap all over him specifically are astounding and show obvious ignorance and bigotry. Bye.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You have completely theeadjacked this thread and almost every post is you celebrating the 45 games he struggled while totally dismissing the fact that he scored at a top 6 pace while being given top 6 ice time. You are the same poster who highjacked every single PGT in which Puljujarvi had a good game to point out how it wasn't the norm and how a good game by him shouldn't be celebrated.
I have to apologize to the other posters here for continuing to feed your trolling efforts of negativity the same threadjacking posts and efforts that previously got you banned. I will cease replying to you Replacement from now on, and cannot wait until next season when Puljujarvi proves you wrong only to see your phony replies to others saying you only ever had positive hopes for the player. The lengths you have gone to crap all over him specifically are astounding and show obvious ignorance and bigotry. Bye.

My posts are responding to nonsense like yours as you serially attempt to trash my posts. Note that 90% of our interaction is you initiating. So please put me on ignore. Do it and stop saying it. Albeit I'll expect you'll be mentioning the ignore almost daily as is your penchant.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He wasn't a vocal Drai fan until his performance in the playoffs.

Another complete fabrication. Also I wasn't here at the time so clearly a fabrication. This is my last reply to you in the thread. I do apologize to the board for having to read your serial misinformed posts and my succumbing to your tone. I endeavor to respond better than that.

I did ftr start being a Draisaitl fan in earnest early in 15-16. Those posts exist. I didn't post here in 16-17 season. You know that intimately.

tbh I think something is wrong with your memory.

ps for further clarify I referred to Draisaitl as "German Kopitar" as early as Nov 20, 2015 in the Drai thread, and possibly earlier in other threads and GDT posts. People here know that coming from my respect for Kopitar that would be an ultimate compliment to bestow on Drai's play. Its there for people to read, and evaluate your misinformation campaign. Not sure why you feel the need to misrepresent.

It would be normative under the circumstances to expect an apology, and several others would grant it, I would too. You can decide whether you want to acknowledge again being wrong.

Last edited:

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Pulju was interviewed about his summer training, in finnish. Jesse Puljujärven elämän tärkein kesä koostuu rankoista harjoituksista – yhden jalan kyykkyjä huikeilla painoilla

• He is training in Oulu with his old Kärpät teammates. Previous years he trained in Helsinki, but always felt a bit homesick.
  • "I have not played at a winning level. Next season is important, I need to be better mentally and physically"
  • Has struggled with adapting to NA life, would like to talk more to his teammates.
  • Training focused on quickness and strength. Also recovery after training.
  • Strength has improved, can always add more weight to the bar.
  • Does 100kg x 6 cleans, 130kg x 6 with pistol squats (I am not sure what the squat is actually, one legged with some kind of stool to help)
  • Bench press is not impressive, says it is under 100 kg.
  • He is playing in a recreational league during the summer with Nutivaara (this is actually something I have heard people critiquing him for, saying that playing against beer league guys is a waste of time)

Last edited:

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006

I completely agree he needs to figure out the NHL game. However, he's also 20. Definitely lots of time for him to figure it out. I can't help but think the language barrier is only hurting his development. A suspect coach probably doesn't help ~ took him the better part of three seasons to try McD with Nuge.

The coaching thing really bothers me. We had a crap power play all season and Puliju played a whopping 5 minutes with McDavid on the PP. I'm not saying he'd be the answer, but you have to think it might be an option :dunno:

I would kind of love to see the coach put Lucic-Strome-Puliju together and have them figure it out as a third line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad