Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part II

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Loved his game tonite just wish he was more physical. Watching Laine lay the body makes me jealous

Actually Puljujärvi is physical miracle.

'' Jesse is physical miracle anyone else of that age hasn't same physicality what he has''.
'' He can't stay away of the gym because he's so eager to do a top player of himself. And his body needs hard practicing''.

'' Once in last season when we had game on Friday and Saturday''.
'' Puljujärvi drew after both games so hard exercise bike program he couldn't talk at all for a while''.

These are the comments what Lauri Marjamaki ( Finland's men's national team head coach and Jesse's ex coach from Oulun Karpat FEL team).
Has said of Jesse Puljujärvi in U20 world champions 2016 book.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Actually Puljujärvi is physical miracle his ex coach in Oulun Karpat and Team Finland head coach Lauri Marjamaki has said there's no another player who has same physicality what Puljujarvi has. Here's few of his comments of Puljujärvi.

'' Jesse is physical miracle anyone else of that age hasn't same physicality what Puljujärvi has. Jesse can't stay away of the gym because he's so eager to do a top player of himself. And his body needs hard practicing. Once in last season when we had game on Friday and Saturday Puljujärvi drew after both games so hard exercise bike program he couldn't talk at all for a while''.

I think the term physical or physically is getting lost in translation a little.

Physically he is like KlefBOM, a specimen, in amazing shape. I think instead of saying he isn't physical, people should be saying he isn't aggressive or mean.

He seems to have a similar tool set to Hossa, a very raw tool set though. So many posters wanted to write him off for the season after two or three games, nice to see them being proven wrong.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Pulju is definitely showing some incremental growth, you can tell that the game is slowing down for him. Still very weak at clearing the puck out of the defensive zone as a lot of the forwards seem to be outside of Nuge and McDavid but you can see how much his positioning has improved and that sticklift on Ovi was a thing of beauty. I'm ok with having him in the lineup as long as he continues to make a positive contribution and not just take up space.

However, they have to find a way to get Slepyshev into the lineup, he has played way too well to be ridiing pine for multiple games in a row. Maybe they can sit Lander for a few games. Gotta get Slepy into the lineup somehow.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Pulju is definitely showing some incremental growth, you can tell that the game is slowing down for him. Still very weak at clearing the puck out of the defensive zone as a lot of the forwards seem to be outside of Nuge and McDavid but you can see how much his positioning has improved and that sticklift on Ovi was a thing of beauty. I'm ok with having him in the lineup as long as he continues to make a positive contribution and not just take up space.

However, they have to find a way to get Slepyshev into the lineup, he has played way too well to be ridiing pine for multiple games in a row. Maybe they can sit Lander for a few games. Gotta get Slepy into the lineup somehow.

Imagine the Oilers having so much depth a guy who's playing well can't find his way into the lineup, Things be changin'

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Imagine the Oilers having so much depth a guy who's playing well can't find his way into the lineup, Things be changin'

And this is with Hendricks, Cagguila and Pakarinen out. I guess this is what it feels like to have real quality depth, it's been about a decade.

But seriously, Slepy needs to play. He's one of the better forecheckers on the team and always presents that threat with his shot.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And this is with Hendricks, Cagguila and Pakarinen out. I guess this is what it feels like to have real quality depth, it's been about a decade.

But seriously, Slepy needs to play. He's one of the better forecheckers on the team and always presents that threat with his shot.

I don't see a spot on the team for him at this point. IMO Pitlick has been very solid and has taken it from him.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Agreed, I hope Lander comes out next game, I didn't think he was particularly good last night, outside of the faceoffs and pk (you know the thing he does)

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Frankly, I'm not even convinced Hendricks still has a spot locked into the top 12 anymore. All three of Pitlick, Slepyshev, and Puljujarvi have started this year looking better than he has in seasons.

On topic, I think the coaching staff should start getting some credit for the way they've handled this situation. They took a lot of heat for keeping him on the Oilers but whatever they're doing it's clearly working. The guy has come a long way since the start of camp.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Seeing 97 and 98 rip down the ice and score was a thing of beauty... hopefully a small glimpse of the future.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Frankly, I'm not even convinced Hendricks still has a spot locked into the top 12 anymore. All three of Pitlick, Slepyshev, and Puljujarvi have started this year looking better than he has in seasons.

"Which good players will have to sit" is so much nicer than "which bad players will have to play". :nod:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

On topic, I think the coaching staff should start getting some credit for the way they've handled this situation. They took a lot of heat for keeping him on the Oilers but whatever they're doing it's clearly working. The guy has come a long way since the start of camp.

Hendricks is still a better, imo until it's proven otherwise, option as a 4th winger then either Pitlick, Slepyshev (even if Slepy is a better player) and Lander.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
It's nice to see Pulju developing his game and little by little earning his place in the roster. I personally believe that AHL would not develop Puljujarvi as much as NHL would do and as I'm a firm believer in his potential I am naturally hoping that he could stay up the whole season. It's kind of a shame that you happen to have such a wide roster, but of course that's only a positive problem for the team.

Patrik Laine has started his season very well, scoring already six times. With all respect to Laine and his amazing shot, but Puljujarvi also has all the tools to become a top scorer already during this season. After all, last autumn is the only time when Pulju's numbers haven't been equal or better. His shot was also measured to be even faster and more accurate than Laine's in a competition last year. Of course it was just one competition and I also have to be fair and say that Laine has a terrific ability to shoot from more than ideal positions. So I'm not saying Pulju's shot is equal to Laine's, but it's very close in many ways. That's why I believe that if Puljujarvi was given a spot in the 1st PP he would probably have several points more. Not many players in NHL have a shot like his and not many (none) players have the ability to pass like McDavid.

I can still remember when Pulju was a few years younger and he scored I think seven goals against Jokerit, Helsinki. The coach of the Jokerit junior team advised everyone to remember Jesse Puljujarvi's name and that's when I got interested to know more. A further studying showed e.g. the 15 out of his team's 16 goals at the junior bandy semifinals and finals. After those incidents his numbers have been even better, so it's interesting to watch when he'll start to make impressing figures in NHL. As you can see I am very confident that'll happen, and by this I don't mean to underestimate NHL at all. He's pretty much dominated at an U20-tournament at barely 16 years old (unlike no-one else of that age according to scouts) and been an MVP in U20 World Championships at the age of 17, so I hope you guys have patience with him and he won't be sent to AHL too easily. Wow, I can't believe I managed to praise Jesse that much in one single post, now I'm done for some time.

Last edited:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Puljujarvi will be a Hossa clone. He will be a fantastic complement to McDavid.

I also think Laine would be absolutely dominant as a partner for McDavid. That release is filthy.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Puljujarvi will be a Hossa clone. He will be a fantastic complement to McDavid.

I also think Laine would be absolutely dominant as a partner for McDavid. That release is filthy.

Its incredible the damage these guys can do off the rush. The play against the Capitals in 3rd period when Mcdavid and Pulju started from their own end and beat everybody up the ice and eventually leading to Maroon goal off the rebound was glimpse of what's to come. Which is why it surprised me when Ryan "braindead" Whitney said that Matthew Tkachuk is a better skater than Pulju. In what word would Tkachuk conceivably keep up with McDavid like Pulju did on a rush?

Anyways, I agree Laine would be a monster on Mcdavid's wing but lets not forget he's also coming off playing at the World Cup while Jesse was coming off an injury. Jesse is starting to pick it up now and he's had some grade A scoring chances in each of the last two games.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I think the term physical or physically is getting lost in translation a little.

Physically he is like KlefBOM, a specimen, in amazing shape. I think instead of saying he isn't physical, people should be saying he isn't aggressive or mean.

He seems to have a similar tool set to Hossa, a very raw tool set though. So many posters wanted to write him off for the season after two or three games, nice to see them being proven wrong.

Hossa in his prime was an amazing skater in addition to being an elite shooter (scored 40 goals and 100 points a few times). Puljujarvi is well below average right now in terms of speed. He probably will improve, but it's a really tall order for him to get to Hossa's level. We should be happy if he turns into a 60 point two way complementary forward with size.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hossa in his prime was an amazing skater in addition to being an elite shooter (scored 40 goals and 100 points a few times). Puljujarvi is well below average right now in terms of speed. He probably will improve, but it's a really tall order for him to get to Hossa's level. We should be happy if he turns into a 60 point two way complementary forward with size.

What?

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIJm5Ak2OJ8 yeah 13.51 seconds is below average. I am sorry what did Hall clock in at again in the all star fastest skater.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Yeah, that poster doesn't know what they're talking about. Pulju is an outstanding skater.

Yeah you don't have to be a talent evaluator to determine Jesse is an elite skater. Now that he's starting to get comfortable and asserting himself more there will be plenty opportunities were he'll get to illustrate more of that speed.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't know Hall's numbers. I don't see what your link proves without a context. He looked slow in game situations, certainly in terms of quickness and acceleration, if not top speed.

Longer strides can give a perception that a player isn't skating as fast as they are.

I know this is a different sport, but Eric Dickerson was a 6'3 Runningback who had an upright running style and barely looked like he was moving but he would blow by defenders.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah you don't have to be a talent evaluator to determine Jesse is an elite skater. Now that he's starting to get comfortable and asserting himself more there will be plenty opportunities were he'll get to illustrate more of that speed.

Just watching him hound the puck on the forecheck, he closes the gap on defenders so quickly.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
I don't know Hall's numbers. I don't see what your link proves without a context. He looked slow in game situations, certainly in terms of quickness and acceleration, if not top speed.

Hall came in at 13.65 and he's regarded as a speed burner/elite skater in this league. Jesse beat his time therefore Jesse is a fast skater in this league. I don't know how else to really put it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad