Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part II

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He made a great defensive play on Ovie very surprised this was not mentioned tonight.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
He made a great defensive play on Ovie very surprised this was not mentioned tonight.

That was nuts! Ovie is a huge and dominant player, he walked right in an stole the puck! Im not sure I have seen anyone play Ovie like that? It seems like a simple thing and Im sure they have but wow, that was fantastic.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Another solid game from Pulju.

We saw glimpses of the future with him and McDavid on Maroons goal, he'll be McDavids RWer by the end of the year or next year.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
That was nuts! Ovie is a huge and dominant player, he walked right in an stole the puck! Im not sure I have seen anyone play Ovie like that? It seems like a simple thing and Im sure they have but wow, that was fantastic.

On another play in the 3rd he shadowed I believe Backstrom, and stuck to him like glue for the whole shift.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
On another play in the 3rd he shadowed I believe Backstrom, and stuck to him like glue for the whole shift.

Great player and moves like that wont hurt him. They are all playing a very good defensive game first, nice to see!

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
He started out a blank slate like most young forwards; he'd stick gamely to his guy, but not really know what to do if the puck took a bad bounce in close quarters off the boards or a divet like it tends to do on the smaller ice.

Should that have happened in Finland, he would've been able to use his speed to close the gap and win back the puck without even touching jerseys. However, in the NHL, you need to practice your angles and have a bevy of stick/body positioning tricks in your back pocket to disrupt possession. He's starting to pick those up from the wilier vets on the team, and the Ovy play was a great example.

Size, speed, skill... and now a better understanding of defensive positioning and body play. I love it. He's going to be an impact winger in this league for a long time.

That's a very insightful post. This kid has only played a few games on North American ice and he seems to be picking up the little details rather quickly. It's actually very impressive given that he's playing in a new country with language barriers too.

Wait until he hits the 20-30 game mark. :handclap:

Previous page, bud. ;)

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Loved his game tonite just wish he was more physical. Watching Laine lay the body makes me jealous

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Loved his game tonite just wish he was more physical. Watching Laine lay the body makes me jealous

Yeah there's been a few times where he could have lined guys up but instead he tried to steal the puck off their stick. I think with age he'll add a little bit of that. He's still just finding his way.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
OVZLJ3l.gif

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Thus far he has played with McDavid around a total of 1 minute and Connor has fed him with two grade-A chances. That rush play went down exactly how it will go down on a regular basis when Puljujärvi establishes himself as Connor's winger. :nod: Both are excellent rush players and their speed compliment each other.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I was adamant that he be sent down, but now...... well, maybe not. he doesn't seem to hurt his linemates. no major gaffs.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I'm really liking him, still can't believe we got him. Bit by bit and game by game it's coming together for him, it will be a long process but he has all the tools.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015

Pulju just doesn't have a nasty bone in his body. I don't think he will become much more physical either; he is just a big body who can outmuscle opponents but will not deliver many big hits in his career.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Thus far he has played with McDavid around a total of 1 minute and Connor has fed him with two grade-A chances. That rush play went down exactly how it will go down on a regular basis when Puljujärvi establishes himself as Connor's winger. :nod: Both are excellent rush players and their speed compliment each other.

Puljujärvi seems to be very good at just driving to the net. That's what made Yakupov and Maroon work well with McDavid too.

To be honest, I dislike the coach's choices regarding who to pair McDavid with. Matthews is another player who is good at just driving to the net and was able to accomplish a lot with McDavid, too.

I guess it's silly to complain about Lucic and Eberle considering how well the line is doing but I really feel like the coach is wasting some of McDavid's potential by not playing him with optimal players who just drive the net and are big(Maroon / Puljujärvi ATM, most likely). And not only that, but Lucic and Eberle would themselves be able to achieve much more with Draisaitl or RNH than Maroon and Puljujärvi could. It would improve both lines at once in my opinion. It's at least worth an extended look, perhaps after Puljujärvi has a few more games of experience.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Pulju just doesn't have a nasty bone in his body. I don't think he will become much more physical either; he is just a big body who can outmuscle opponents but will not deliver many big hits in his career.

I agree. I don't see Pulju ever becoming the same type of hitting machine Laine is/will be. As you implicated, that is not to say he plays a soft game, but that he provides physical presence in different ways. He uses his body to win puck battles/keep possession, not to create intimidation for the opponent. He hits every once in a while, but only to regain puck possession.

Puljujärvi seems to be very good at just driving to the net. That's what made Yakupov and Maroon work well with McDavid too.

Yeah that is his bread and butter. On the rush he tends to either shoot, make plays or drive the net when he is off the puck. He plays a straightforward game keeping it simple and making low risk plays. He rarely challenges and dekes through defenders and drives the net with the puck. I've always thought he would thrive the most alongside a player who can carry the puck into the zone with speed enabling him to just drive the net. McDavid fits that mold perfectly. Hopefully we will see them playing together more this season.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I feel being around Lucic and Maroon he might pick it up. He might see how much more "respect and space" he gets throwing those hits here and there, but I agree he probably won't be a "bruiser"

Puljujarvi showed me last night, he's an NHL player. He was very good, and his defensive game is a sight to behold.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hes really adapting well to the NHL. I am glad they didnt send him down because he just needed to get adjusted to NHL style and systems. Its good to have him practicing with NHL club too and learning TMs system

His shot is going to cause all sorts of trouble soon. Even last game he unleashed a bullet from a poor angle that handcuffed Holtby. It caused a massive rebound and Maroon or Drasaitl was right there to tuck it in but just missed the puck

I think hes going to start being pretty noticeable here and be mini line driver on the 3rd line.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I feel being around Lucic and Maroon he might pick it up. He might see how much more "respect and space" he gets throwing those hits here and there, but I agree he probably won't be a "bruiser"

Puljujarvi showed me last night, he's an NHL player. He was very good, and his defensive game is a sight to behold.

He's the rawest of the top picks. I'd just give him some time to add muscle and see where he goes.
He's not a Lucic type of player but I've seen him watch his linemates or teammates be physical and play more physical game after that.

The Maroon goal is why I can't wait to see McDavid-Pulju on the same line, they are going to be so deadly flying through that neutral zone.

Watching him from rookie tourney, to pre season and to this day I think on the 2nd half we see Pulju take another gear and be a top6 winger.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He's the rawest of the top picks. I'd just give him some time to add muscle and see where he goes.
He's not a Lucic type of player but I've seen him watch his linemates or teammates be physical and play more physical game after that.

The Maroon goal is why I can't wait to see McDavid-Pulju on the same line, they are going to be so deadly flying through that neutral zone.

Watching him from rookie tourney, to pre season and to this day I think on the 2nd half we see Pulju take another gear and be a top6 winger.

Lmao somehow both McDavid and JP got around the D who had a sizeable gap to start. Now way that should happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad