Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft. Part II

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
That's not true. Pulju hardly got icetime in the playoffs eventho scored 9 points in 10 games.

Aho played 20 minutes, Pulju 13 minutes.

What is not true? He meant his post-WJC performance, not the playoffs specifically.

And Pulju played fine in the playoffs. The shortage of ice time was not due to his struggles but Marjamäki shaking up the lines after his team going down 2-0 in the Tappara series. He played bottom 6 minutes and still was able to produce. That is a testament to his great play.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
What is not true? He meant his post-WJC performance, not the playoffs specifically.

And Pulju played fine in the playoffs. The shortage of ice time was not due to his struggles but Marjamäki shaking up the lines after his team going down 2-0 in the Tappara series. He played bottom 6 minutes and still was able to produce. That is a testament to his great play.

Him saying Pulju was best player game in game out.

This is not a stab on Puljus quality but I mean come on, if he was best player on ice allmost every night, he would have played bigger minutes in playoffs.

He was even benched in Tappara series, Tho I remember him dominating OT twice after playing ~7 minutes in the first 60.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Him saying Pulju was best player game in game out.

This is not a stab on Puljus quality but I mean come on, if he was best player on ice allmost every night, he would have played bigger minutes in playoffs.

He was even benched in Tappara series, Tho I remember him dominating OT twice after playing ~7 minutes in the first 60.

He said "one of the best" and post-WJC. Highly arguable, yes, but not completely out of touch of reality. He did manage to score 16 points in 19 games (25 in 29 when playoffs included) in a league where only two players were able to reach PPG among those with at least 20 games.

And no, he wasn't "benched" at any point in the Tappara series. He was sat out for stretches in games because of PK time, not because the coach didn't trust him and decided to play others in his place. Again, he received less ice time because his role was to play in the bottom 6 (a role that Pulju fits in, speaks for his versatility) for the most of the Tappara series, not because he didn't perform well before the line shuffling.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He said "one of the best" and post-WJC. Highly arguable, yes, but not completely out of touch of reality. He did manage to score 16 points in 19 games (25 in 29 when playoffs included) in a league where only two players were able to reach PPG among those with at least 20 games.

Exactly, not the best but one of the best post-WJC.

When you look at the whole spring, I think Pulju and Sebastian Aho had the best ppg. It's easier to compare players by statistics, but what they offer outside of them gets more complicated to evaluate. However, I'm sure most would agree that Puljujarvi was one of the most energetic guys in FEL and didn't have bad weaknesses in defending either. And when it comes to statistics I think his roughly ppg average in playoffs was definitely good, only Sebastian Aho and two players from a finalist HIFK were slightly ahead.

After missing most quarter-finals Pulju played seven of his ten playoff games against Tappara, the coming champion, which had a strong defence and the best goalie of the playoffs. E.g. Sebastian Aho made a lot of points while Pulju missed those quarter-final games. Then Puljujarvi obviously had to play at least somewhat injured and he got less ice-time than Aho and Laine. However, the FEL playoff statistics show that the average ice time he had was actually 16,30, which was just a couple of minutes less than Laine's, but a lot less than Aho's 21,02.

I have to emphasize that I don't think Puljujarvi was or still is a perfect player, but the potential is exceptional.

Last edited:

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

Like I wrote in another message Pulju played approximately 16:30 at the playoffs, which wasn't far from Laine. For that time you are expected to score some points, but the time on the ice Puljujarvi got wasn't bad for a 17-year-old, especially when the roster of Karpat was full of FEL stars. Even the player who scored the most points in FEL just a year ago was sitting in the bench at a lot of games, so there was a lot of competition for the roster.

As corrected above, Puljujarvi wasn't benched in Tappara series, but he did have two mediocre games, where he didn't shine before the OT. Those two games were clear exceptions, though, and also Laine and almost every other player had some games, where they didn't stand out. After all, the pretty physical FEL playoffs are not an easy piece of cake especially for young players. Less so if they have to play even slightly injured.

Last edited:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
As corrected above, Puljujarvi wasn't benched in Tappara series, but he did have two mediocre games, where he didn't shine before the OT. Those two games were clear exceptions, though, and also Laine and almost every other player had some games, where they didn't stand out. After all, the pretty physical FEL playoffs are not an easy piece of cake especially for young players. Less so if they have to play even slightly injured.

I would even say "mediocre" is an overstatement. He just was quiet outside the OTs without making much impact on the play, just like any 17 year old would be when getting around 10 mins TOI per 60. I recall in game 6 Kärpät played tons of PK in the third leaving Pulju with minimal ice time for the period for that reason.

Oh, in those "quiet" games he did this:

and this:

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I would even say "mediocre" is an overstatement. He just was quiet outside the OTs without making much impact on the play, just like any 17 year old would be when getting around 10 mins TOI per 60. I recall in game 6 Kärpät played tons of PK in the third leaving Pulju with minimal ice time for the period for that reason.

I guess you are right. I almost chose a stronger word as well, but ended up in mediocre as I don't recall him making any bad mistakes either. Those two were definitely his worst games, but he had fresh legs in OT and was pretty much dominating then. Glimpses of that can been seen on the videos you linked.

Then again, as a word even mediocre feels strange if a player doesn't make any big mistakes during the regular time and then shines and scores (or assists) in OT.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Mixed bag today. I thought he had a couple really good moments and when he has time with the puck he looks good, but he just isn't processing the game quick enough yet. Any time there is pressure he really struggles.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Got a lot better as the game went on IMO.

He has lots left to prove but his game is improving pretty rapidly.

I'd give him all 9 games to try and earn it.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Mixed bag today. I thought he had a couple really good moments and when he has time with the puck he looks good, but he just isn't processing the game quick enough yet. Any time there is pressure he really struggles.

Same can be said for most players not named McDavid.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
He had a couple nice plays late, but some really brutal giveaways also. Please get him out of here and rebuild his confidence in a league he is fit for.

I hope that's the last we see of him this season. I want him to be a big part of the Oilers in the future.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
He had a couple nice plays late, but some really brutal giveaways also. Please get him out of here and rebuild his confidence in a league he is fit for.

I hope that's the last we see of him this season. I want him to be a big part of the Oilers in the future.

Doesn't have to be for the rest of the season. Give him a month down in the A and re-evaluate how he is.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think he's starting to look more comfortable out there, had a pretty good last 2 periods. I could tell that he's getting more comfortable because he's skating with confidence and getting to scoring spots more. Still some rough moments but as you saw with Laine, he's not the only rookie struggling out there.

I still think he should use some time in the AHL but I'm interested to see if his confidence continues to build, he could be a real asset this season if it does.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I think he's starting to look more comfortable out there, had a pretty good last 2 periods. I could tell that he's getting more comfortable because he's skating with confidence and getting to scoring spots more. Still some rough moments but as you saw with Laine, he's not the only rookie struggling out there.

I still think he should use some time in the AHL but I'm interested to see if his confidence continues to build, he could be a real asset this season if it does.

Hmm, I don't know. He had a couple god awful giveaways in the third when under pressure. Just looks like the speed of the game at this level is a half step too much for him right now.

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
I'll say it again, the Oilers are handling him perfectly right now. For an 18 year old kid coming over from Finland, he needs stabililty. He's just settling in Edmonton. There's no need to uproot him and send him to another country. He needs to be a part of the group and make some friends, honestly. He'll need work with the coaches and learn and get comfortable with the systems. Then we'll have a really good player. If they are going to send him down, sometime in December would be an appropriate time.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I thought he looked better offensively today, skating looked a bit better.
He just needs to focus on making those safe, simple plays better, react quicker.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
I'll say it again, the Oilers are handling him perfectly right now. For an 18 year old kid coming over from Finland, he needs stabililty. He's just settling in Edmonton. There's no need to uproot him and send him to another country. He needs to be a part of the group and make some friends, honestly. He'll need work with the coaches and learn and get comfortable with the systems. Then we'll have a really good player. If they are going to send him down, sometime in December would be an appropriate time.

Agreed. Chia and TMac made the right call in keeping him up; he's got a support system now- one he would not have had being plunked into Bakersfield right off the hop. Pulju has seen what it takes to play at the next level and is making smarter and smarter plays every shift. That pass on the powerplay today is a goal in any other situation, and he created a couple of other good chances throughout the contest.

Having said that, he does need to start producing if he is to be a fixture in the lineup. The talent is obviously there and his processing of the NA game is coming around. At least now if he still needs time to develop after his nine-game tryout, the foundation will be there to assign him to the AHL. Let Sallinen or whoever take over the role of designated countryman and give him prime ice-time. He'd a top line forward down there easily and would quickly build confidence feasting on weaker opposition.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
The best game of his young career tonight. You can tell the game is starting to slow down for him a bit now- he's hesitating that extra millisecond to create a passing or shooting lane, and is sneaking into open ice when it presents itself. I don't know if he stays up, but his processing of NA ice is night and day from where he started.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Yup, thought he played very well tonight. Offense is very slowly starting to poke its head out, but he had some excellent plays defensively as well tonight.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
What I like about him is that he's very noticeable out there on the defensive side of the puck. Loved his stick check on Ovechkin. You got to appreciate efforts like that for a rookie.

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
What I like about him is that he's very noticeable out there on the defensive side of the puck. Loved his stick check on Ovechkin. You got to appreciate efforts like that for a rookie.
You know McLellan liked that play. That'll give him more playing time.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg

He started out a blank slate like most young forwards; he'd stick gamely to his guy, but not really know what to do if the puck took a bad bounce in close quarters off the boards or a divet like it tends to do on the smaller ice.

Should that have happened in Finland, he would've been able to use his speed to close the gap and win back the puck without even touching jerseys. However, in the NHL, you need to practice your angles and have a bevy of stick/body positioning tricks in your back pocket to disrupt possession. He's starting to pick those up from the wilier vets on the team, and the Ovy play was a great example.

Size, speed, skill... and now a better understanding of defensive positioning and body play. I love it. He's going to be an impact winger in this league for a long time.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
It was a nice gesture by the coach to let him play with McDavid for a bit in the third.

I hope his play continues to dictate the opportunity to play with McDavid more often because their speed compliment each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00