Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
how so? he still gets the least amount of ice time and has the least performing wingers as well.

Agreed. He also gets to play the weakest competition. He also gets 2nd unit PP time. He’s got 1 assist in 11 games. I do think he does a lot of little things right. But his offensive production is just not there. And on a 8 year contract at almost $5 mill per I’d like to see a little bit more offensive production to start feeling okay about the deal, like I said it makes me wince a little bit. I’m not saying I’ve given up on him, I still think this deal can pan out to be great.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Agreed. He also gets to play the weakest competition. He also gets 2nd unit PP time. He’s got 1 assist in 11 games. I do think he does a lot of little things right. But his offensive production is just not there. And on a 8 year contract at almost $5 mill per I’d like to see a little bit more offensive production to start feeling okay about the deal, like I said it makes me wince a little bit. I’m not saying I’ve given up on him, I still think this deal can pan out to be great.
I'd like him to have an off-season with the team before I start making any proclamations about the long-term aspects.

Unless he suddenly flourished on the wing, this season was always going to be Kotkamieni buried at the bottom of the C depth chart.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Both should be doable.

He's on his ass half of the time, but there is nothing seriously wrong with his game. On the contrary, he has many characteristics of a 25+ yo veteran, like defensive eye and responsibility.
Hopefully he makes it out of the playoffs without a lower body injury. Unlike his first off-season.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Habs fan here just interested in hearing how KK is doing.

I'm hearing the same things that we complained about, imo the development staff didn't give him the right offseason training plan, he actually seemed better when he first came into the league 🤣

He'll probably be much better next season.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I still can’t help but think how $6 mill would have looked on this roster this season if we didn’t get KK. KK may contribute in the future, but I’d say his salary was a waste this year in what may have been one of our best shots to win a cup.

$6 mill and the assets could have gone for an acquisition like Tarasenko (who was available in the offseason) or would have had room to make an addition like Andrew Copp at trade deadline, or we could have really bolstered our 3rd pairing.

Hoping for a huge breakout season next year from KK, he’s going to have to step up big time. Especially if we’re losing Trocheck.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I still can’t help but think how $6 mill would have looked on this roster this season if we didn’t get KK. KK may contribute in the future, but I’d say his salary was a waste this year in what may have been one of our best shots to win a cup.

$6 mill and the assets could have gone for an acquisition like Tarasenko (who was available in the offseason) or would have had room to make an addition like Andrew Copp at trade deadline, or we could have really bolstered our 3rd pairing.

Hoping for a huge breakout season next year from KK, he’s going to have to step up big time. Especially if we’re losing Trocheck.
First and foremost, we wouldn’t have had any more room at the deadline without Kotkaniemi on the roster. LTIR prevents that. We would have needed to pay heavily to move Gardiner, buy him out, or have him on IR all season. Having him on IR means we could bank 2 million in space but we would still be short a roster player.

Our main UFA target, Saad, has 5 points in 12 games for STL. Im glad Tatar said no because he would have been a Dzingel esque addition. We went through the off-season and were stuck with 6.5 million in cap space because everything else fell through. So we had to use it somehow. Kotkaniemi was still available.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
@DaveG lots of trolling occurring via abuse of likes today. Might need to take out more trash
good, because I'm in some kind of mood today. f*** around and find out time for them.

laughing-hysterically-sideshow-bob.gif

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think you will have a better idea of his potential next year if you guys don't resign Trochek. That being said, i'm not sure he ends up being better than a 3rd line center.
he'll need to improve his skating to do it (end up as a #2).

I think Tro is gone, the only question is if we try to make a splash in FA or trade to upgrade the #2 spot keeping Koko in the 4 hole for now or if we make the move and let the chips fall where they may to start next season.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
he'll need to improve his skating to do it (end up as a #2).

I think Tro is gone, the only question is if we try to make a splash in FA or trade to upgrade the #2 spot keeping Koko in the 4 hole for now or if we make the move and let the chips fall where they may to start next season.
I think they are more likely to make a splash for a wing. Kadri and Malkin would be the top options at C, but who else would be a clear improvement on Trocheck? I don't see Bergeron playing elsewhere, and Giroux is more of a wing at this point. A very good wing, but I don't think he's going to play C.

Let's say they go after a top line wing:

UFA-Aho-Teravainen
Svech-Kotkaniemi-Jarvis
Martinook/Lorentz-Staal-Fast
Lorentz/Martinook-Drury?-Necas?

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
KK needs to be a C next year. And I don't care if its either 2C or 4C. Ideally, we can pick up a 1C and push Aho to the 2nd line with KK anchoring the 4th line before taking over at 3C in 2024 and beyond.

I'll be honest, I have so many concerns about this team going forward, and he's just not really a part of those issues.

Reactions: DaveG

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021

I agree. They easily could have gotten Tarensenko with those assets and cap space.

I always thought the biggest downside to Carolina was not the risk that KK may not pan out, but the opportunity cost of not maximizing their window.

It is so tough to win a cup and IMO you really have to focus on trading picks and using cap space to make the most of your window.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad