Speculation: Jesperi Kotkaniemi - What is he worth this summer?

What kind of a contract do you think KK will be signed to?

• Total voters

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
KK gets a 2 year bridge deal x 2.3 M
Suzuki gets a 8 year contract extension x 7 M (similar contract to hischier)

Reactions: Ozmodiar

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Bridge. You need to know if he’s actually anything more than a future Lars Eller before committing long term.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Even if he's an Eller (#3C), if you sign him at 4m/6 years, it's fine. It's a good gamble to take, we can endup with a #2C/#1C at bargain price.

I don’t agree since Evans and Poehling could just do the same thing for a fraction of the price if all he’s going to amount to is a 35-40 point player.

Reactions: Habs Icing

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I actually wouldn't mind a long term contract. Something like $4.5m. It's ridiculously easy to buy out a contract for someone under 25.

6 years, $27m.

1. $2.5m (comparable to Lehkonen/Armia)
2. $3.3m (comparable to Byron, Laughton)
3. $4.1m (comparable to Anisimov, Rask)
4. $4.9m (comparable to PLD, Cirelli)
5. $5.7m (UFA year)
6. $6.5m (UFA year)

If after year 3 or 4, it doesn't look good, you can buy out the last 2 or 3 years at 1/3 of the cost because he'll be under 25.

On the other hand, we could great value for a young player if he blossoms into something. Something that we had with Price, Pacioretty & Gallagher, but we couldn't do anything with those great contracts.

If we sign KK short term, we could end up at a much higher cap rate for him.

It also means we'd have no issues signing Suzuki at $5.5m or higher if needed in 2022.

There's also Caufield to worry about the year after that. And something tells me he's getting $5m - ish too when his ELC is done.

2021 KK: $4.5m
2022 Suzuki: $5.5m
2023 Caufield: $5m

Basically, you give Tatar's cap to KK.

Historically, it's always been the better move to sign young players to long term contracts so you can manage your cap better on an annual basis.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Long term deals for JK and Suzuki would help plan for the post Weber/Price era.

Problem is I think a lot of RFAs are going to avoid long term deals hoping the cap goes back up by the time their next contract is due.

Still if possible I'd go long.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I don’t agree since Evans and Poehling could just do the same thing for a fraction of the price if all he’s going to amount to is a 35-40 point player.

Centers, especially young ones, are tradeable assets. It's low risk to give KK a long term contract at $4m or $4.5m. Teams will like what he brings, size down the middle, competitiveness and physicality. Already has playoff experience.

On top of that, buyouts for players under 25 is 1/3 of the cost.

There's minimal risk here.

There's a much higher risk financially to do a bridge.

Reactions: aresknights

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think there is a good chance that after next year we will have a good idea of what Suzuki is and committing long term to him. As in 6-8 years. KK , no, bridge deal of 2 years makes sense.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
If you're going long term you're taking the risk that the value is there.

I assume they'll bridge.
If you're going long term, you're taking a risk, which should mitigate the cap hit. A bit like they did with Pacioretty and his 4.5 M AAV contract (and he was more proven). Risk goes both ways; the player committing to a lengthy contract acquires security as well and this has value.

I don't see anyone investing 42M in KK just yet.

Reactions: azcanuck

malton

Feb 17, 2009
If you're going long term, you're taking a risk, which should mitigate the cap hit. A bit like they did with Pacioretty and his 4.5 M AAV contract (and he was more proven). Risk goes both ways; the player committing to a lengthy contract acquires security as well and this has value.

I don't see anyone investing 42M in KK just yet.

4.5 at that cap and 6m at this aren't really different. 7% vs 7.4% of the cap.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
2 years, less than 3m per. Still need to keep him under RFA status for the next contract, but also need to see what he becomes. The next two years will be pretty crucial for his development with filling out and asserting himself more consistently.

Reactions: azcanuck

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I actually wouldn't mind a long term contract. Something like $4.5m. It's ridiculously easy to buy out a contract for someone under 25.

6 years, $27m.

1. $2.5m (comparable to Lehkonen/Armia)
2. $3.3m (comparable to Byron, Laughton)
3. $4.1m (comparable to Anisimov, Rask)
4. $4.9m (comparable to PLD, Cirelli)
5. $5.7m (UFA year)
6. $6.5m (UFA year)

If after year 3 or 4, it doesn't look good, you can buy out the last 2 or 3 years at 1/3 of the cost because he'll be under 25.

On the other hand, we could great value for a young player if he blossoms into something. Something that we had with Price, Pacioretty & Gallagher, but we couldn't do anything with those great contracts.

If we sign KK short term, we could end up at a much higher cap rate for him.

It also means we'd have no issues signing Suzuki at $5.5m or higher if needed in 2022.

There's also Caufield to worry about the year after that. And something tells me he's getting $5m - ish too when his ELC is done.

2021 KK: $4.5m
2022 Suzuki: $5.5m
2023 Caufield: $5m

Basically, you give Tatar's cap to KK.

Historically, it's always been the better move to sign young players to long term contracts so you can manage your cap better on an annual basis.
I don't see why KK would accept 4.5x6. You'd have to think that he'll want 6x6 if we are doing something that long.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Centers, especially young ones, are tradeable assets. It's low risk to give KK a long term contract at $4m or $4.5m. Teams will like what he brings, size down the middle, competitiveness and physicality. Already has playoff experience.

On top of that, buyouts for players under 25 is 1/3 of the cost.

There's minimal risk here.

There's a much higher risk financially to do a bridge.

We have other areas that are pressing now and don’t have a lot of cap flexibility. The saved $2m could go a long way. There were moments this season where we couldn’t call up players because of the cap. You can’t just throw money around.

Suzuki is the one you sign long-term hoping he keeps trending upwards. KK has more to prove. If you give KK $4m+ then Suzuki has every right to ask for $7m

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
We have other areas that are pressing now and don’t have a lot of cap flexibility. The saved $2m could go a long way. There were moments this season where we couldn’t call up players because of the cap. You can’t just throw money around.

Suzuki is the one you sign long-term hoping he keeps trending upwards. KK has more to prove. If you give KK $4m+ then Suzuki has every right to ask for $7m

That's because MB f***ed up the cap/roster situation at the deadline.

Right now we have $12.1m in cap space. The summer we have to sign Suzuki, we'll have almost $23m. Really don't see an issue with our cap. Suzuki might earn himself a $7m contract regardless of what KK does.

Already signed for next year:

Toffoli -- Suzuki -- Caufield
Drouin -- xxxxx -- Anderson
Lehkonen -- Evans --- Gallagher
Byron -- xxxx -- xxxx

Edmundson -- Petry
Chiarot -- Weber
Kulak -- Romanov

Price
Allen

We lose Chiarot in expansion draft so that gives us another $3.5m for $15.6m.

KK signs for $4.5m. Poehling signs one way at $800k, Perry at $850k. Armia $3m. That's $9.15m and gives us 13 forwards.

Fleury signs for $750k (minimum) and we sign another depth defenseman for $750k.

That leaves us $4.85m. We need bonus cushion for rookie contracts, so we probably have about $2.85m for a #4 D to replace Chiarot. If we only go with 7D then $3.6m is left to replace Chiarot.

It's tight, but doable. We definitely need Drouin to come back or trade him. We have no LW depth.

But, it's better for us to sign KK long term. He's UFA in 4 years, so if we don't want to pay the last 2 years of his 6 year contract we can buy him out cheap, or trade him, as there are always teams looking for centers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00