Speculation: Jesperi Kotkaniemi - What is he worth this summer?

What kind of a contract do you think KK will be signed to?

• Total voters

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
As we know, our wildly divisive young centreman is set to become a restricted free agent this summer and is going to need a shiny new contract for next year. It's been a bumpy road in the NHL so far for Kotkaniemi but he's shown flashes of brilliance here and there throughout the three years he's been with the team, meaning it's most likely he'll sign a bridge contract of sorts. What do Habs fans think he'll be signed to? Do you think he's worth anything at all? No arbitration rights yet for him.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Our cap situation makes a 2 year bridge deal the most logical choice, if we wish to strengthen the team for next season.

There's also the question of Suzuki, who's the real deal. He will also likely have to be signed to a bridge deal, but if we want to sign him long-term, or fend off offer sheets, then bridging Kotkaniemi is a must.

I'll be ok with anything up to $2,5M. The less, the better as it gives us more room to maneuver for the next 2 years.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
2-years makes the most sense for a couple reasons.

Cap will remain flat for at least that long if not longer. As Suzuki will be up next season, who’ll probably get a longer term deal, we’ll have a better idea of his worth and what our cap situation looks like.

He’ll also still be a RFA so we’ll have control still. He’ll still be young, but I think we’ll also know next two years what his true ceiling will be.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
As others said, 2-3 years the less the better (<3M)

If he doesnt take a leap in those 2-3 years, then we either move on or accept that ye's a 40 pts player

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Our cap situation makes a 2 year bridge deal the most logical choice, if we wish to strengthen the team for next season.

There's also the question of Suzuki, who's the real deal. He will also likely have to be signed to a bridge deal, but if we want to sign him long-term, or fend off offer sheets, then bridging Kotkaniemi is a must.

I'll be ok with anything up to $2,5M. The less, the better as it gives us more room to maneuver for the next 2 years.

2-years makes the most sense for a couple reasons.

Cap will remain flat for at least that long if not longer. As Suzuki will be up next season, who’ll probably get a longer term deal, we’ll have a better idea of his worth and what our cap situation looks like.

He’ll also still be a RFA so we’ll have control still. He’ll still be young, but I think we’ll also know next two years what his true ceiling will be.

I agree with these two, notably similar, posts.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Like Markov never ever give 35+ players more than 1-year deal...if it means losing them...not desirable but too bad. Risk is too high on multi-year deals at 35+

1-year deal heavy bonus laden contract should be the objective w Perry IMO - $1M base + $2M bonus

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
With a flat cap, a RFA status and a deceiving offensive production this year, I see absolutely zero reason why he should get paid more than 1,5 per year on a 2 years bridge deal.

He has basically no argument in his favor this year. And you don't pay a player only based on unfulfilled potential.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
With a flat cap, a RFA status and a deceiving offensive production this year, I see absolutely zero reason why he should get paid more than 1,5 per year on a 2 years bridge deal.

He has basically no argument in his favor this year. And you don't pay a player only based on unfulfilled potential.
last time that logic was used on a Habs player said player ended up costing 9M per...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
KK will have to take a bridge deal, as per the Habs policy always......anything less than 2.5M per would make sense.
He did not have the numbers or the TOI to dictate anything else....this makes the most sense for the team and player...

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
last time that logic was used on a Habs player said player ended up costing 9M per...

I like KK, but I don’t think he will ever be a 9 millions dollars player. I don’t see any incentive to overpay a RFA on a year with a flat cap.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
KK will have to take a bridge deal, as per the Habs policy always......anything less than 2.5M per would make sense.
He did not have the numbers or the TOI to dictate anything else....this makes the most sense for the team and player...
think you forgot how much guys like Armia, Byron, Lehkonen are making... ;)

Reactions: yianik

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
2-3 x $2.5-3M is what's going to happen and that's good for both parties

Reactions: yianik

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Armia and Leks, are 2.6M and 2.4M...............KK should be around that? No? 2.5M or less I think should get it done?
Do you think higher?
when GM play hardball with their young RFA they always end up having to pay them a lot more than their worth when they're closing on UFA status.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I think he takes a bridge a la Lekhonen, i.e. 2x2.5, seems fair right now and shows that he'll bet on himself to get more later. Too soon for a long term deal in my opinion.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
A 2-4 year bridge deal would be ideal IMO

he’s only going to get better but it’s about thinking how we are going to pay for Suzuki and Caufield next

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
2 year bridge keeps him a RFA, ya? That’s the way to go. Either he blossoms and you give him a big deal, or he doesn’t and you don’t.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
when GM play hardball with their young RFA they always end up having to pay them a lot more than their worth when they're closing on UFA status.
True.........but that's a pleasant problem...
At that point they must be a real good player...so, who knows....pay me now, or pay me later....the agents always seem to win.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
4M long term contract, he's not worth it yet, but it's a gamble.
Long term is the way to go. Get it as cheap as possible. I voted 4-5 yrs at 4.5 because it was the closest to what I'd go for but honestly, I'd work on getting that number down. 4 ml max at 5 years is what I would do. If he won't do 4 mil or less, then I'd look at shorter term with less dollars.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
True.........but that's a pleasant problem...
At that point they must be a real good player...so, who knows....pay me now, or pay me later....the agents always seem to win.
thing wqith KK is he'll be UFA at 25, given the type of game he plays its possible he is not fully developped at the end of his bridge contract. Its really a tough one.

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad