Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi- So You See That's Where The Trouble Began,That Smile,That Damned Smile Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
From my understanding, Gord doesn’t think any player should be in the NHL at 18 unless they are exceptional (ie McDavid). This isn’t an anti-Kotkaniemi opinion. He’s just using stats to say “see I told you” and is wrong.

I actually agree with Gord on this one. It's been an opinion of mine for a long time now. I would be only granting 18 year olds exceptional status to play in the NHL. However, I'm not overall upset with Kotkaniemi playing as an 18 year old... he's getting better and better as the season goes along. He has earned his spot but not sure he would get exceptional status to play in the NHL heading into the year.

It's not going to change. NHLPA won't like it. Not a huge problem but I prefer smarter asset management and to let the kids get stronger.

I choose the conservative and patient approach on this one.

Reactions: hey

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think he reminds a bit of Patrick Elias in the way hes just a complete player with a ton of good to great attributes but not really one standing out yet.

I'd say his smarts is going to be one, and why I wouldnt bet against him with 60-70 point prime predictions.

I was impressed with the way he went against Chara last night.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I actually agree with Gord on this one. It's been an opinion of mine for a long time now. I would be only granting 18 year olds exceptional status to play in the NHL. However, I'm not overall upset with Kotkaniemi playing as an 18 year old... he's getting better and better as the season goes along. He has earned his spot but not sure he would get exceptional status to play in the NHL heading into the year.

It's not going to change. NHLPA won't like it. Not a huge problem but I prefer smarter asset management and to let the kids get stronger.

I choose the conservative and patient approach on this one.
I agree. Also part of the reason they decided to keep him is because we were desperate for centers. You can bet anything if he had been drafted by a team with any kind of depth at center he would not be in the nhl.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
If he plays the way he did against Boston he's an easy top 2 center. He was like a Finnish Bergeron out there at times, very intense and focused in all 3 zones. If this is him at 18 imagine what he'll be in 2-3 years.

It's exactly what I am saying about him ..since.. August: A Bergeron-Kopitar in the making

Within a yeay he will play on P.K and on the right circle of the first power play unit.

Mtl will be hard to play against soon with very good centers in all 3 zones : KK- Poeling and Danult

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Looked amazing out there yesterday! It's like he already embraced the Ruins-Habs rivalry!

The way he plays the game at such a young age is really impressive! The points will come.
I like his game yesterday as well. Very implicated and his puck possession was much better. Then again, there weren't any PP opportunities where he's been struggling on his strong side.

Reactions: Belial

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Youve been high on him for a while, take some risks on him, call him a 70 points player at worst, I know thats what Id do.

There are some things we can't controll so don't want to go with quarantees.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
My Calderboy

How many points would he have now if he were playing with Drouin and Gallagher and Danault was playing with Lehkonen and Armia.

He's ready to center Drouin and Gallagher. Let's go Claude. Make it happen.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Smooth and patient but so effective.

vw4TX0l.gif

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Easily one of the prettiest goals so far this season... Cant believe this kid is only 18 and one of the youngest kids in the last draft, he already plays and thinks the game like a vet... His IQ is off the chart, once he matures physically, sky is the limit!

To think I was depressed when we got the 3rd overall pick missing so short on Svechnikov, ask me now how I feel about that?? :nod:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad