Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi- So You See That's Where The Trouble Began,That Smile,That Damned Smile Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I think although he is not developed physically he is not shy to use his body and goes in the corner. I think he has all the tools to become dominant but lacks the 1 or 2 secs to keep the puck.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why do people freak out when someone gives an opinion. Lots of guys win battles with smarts. How on earth would Byron ever win a puck battle. It's just an evaluation.
Its stupid to say a kid with a broad 6'3 build will never get stronger. A kid that showed he already has good strength againsg his peers, and shows he can stick in the NHL being 18 and 80ish days.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Its stupid to say a kid with a broad 6'3 build will never get stronger. A kid that showed he already has good strength againsg his peers, and shows he can stick in the NHL being 18 and 80ish days.

He didn't say he would not get stronger. He said he might not turn into a bull who can dominate with his size and might win battles by being lanky. There is nothing wrong with that evaluation. It might be right, who knows. Just one persons evaluation. Geez

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You aren't understanding, I'm not bashing anyone. Sure he'll get stronger, but do you think he's going to ever be dominantly strong like Kopitar and Barkov? Or is it more likely he learns to dominate with his better tools which is his length and his smarts?

Right now we just need to get him to adequately strong, because currently he's getting knocked over by a breeze...

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
He’s less than 30 games into his first year in the best league in the world as an 18 year-old. He has a lot of work to do of course, but he’ll get there. I also think he’s going to get a lot stronger. Sure, he won’t be slamming guys into the boards or smashing fools in open ice, but he’s not afraid to get into the dirty areas which I like.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
i would realy prefer him to play a bigger role in the AHL, 1min-1min30-ish per powerplay, 16-18 top line minutes in the AHL but thats me.

so scared we stun his developpement...

Reactions: Mrb1p

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
i would realy prefer him to play a bigger role in the AHL, 1min-1min30-ish per powerplay, 16-18 top line minutes in the AHL but thats me.

I have been thinking that as well. I like the kid but it might be too early for him in the NHL. Really tough call.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He didn't say he would not get stronger. He said he might not turn into a bull who can dominate with his size and might win battles by being lanky. There is nothing wrong with that evaluation. It might be right, who knows. Just one persons evaluation. Geez
@Mrb1p is the king of the strawman... why argue my point, when you can argue something I never said?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You aren't understanding, I'm not bashing anyone. Sure he'll get stronger, but do you think he's going to ever be dominantly strong like Kopitar and Barkov? Or is it more likely he learns to dominate with his better tools which is his length and his smarts?

Right now we just need to get him to adequately strong, because currently he's getting knocked over by a breeze...

Why wouldnt he get as strong as these guys?

He has a broad build, hes already 190 pounds on 6'2.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Why wouldnt he get as strong as these guys?

He has a broad build, hes already 190 pounds on 6'2.
These guys are literally as strong as they come. You are assuming a guy can turn his biggest weakness to his biggest strength which is just plain unlikely.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Thats not what I disagree about.

Fine, I'm not sure what the issue is. The kid needs to bulk up. He might become a bull or he might be a savvy guy that uses positioning to win battles. Don't see the problem both are valid opinions worth sharing.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
These guys are literally as strong as they come. You are assuming a guy can turn his biggest weakness to his biggest strength which is just plain unlikely.

Physical strength can be altered. Lets also not act like these guys are freakishly strong. Theyre not. And its not their biggest strength. Youre talking about Kotkaniemi as if he was Pettersson and youve been proven wrong time and time again, yet, always come back to the same BS

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Fine, I'm not sure what the issue is. The kid needs to bulk up. He might become a bull or he might be a savvy guy that uses positioning to win battles. Don't see the problem both are valid opinions worth sharing.

Theres no reasons to think hes going to stay "weak", as BSS proposes.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Theres no reasons to think hes going to stay "weak", as BSS proposes.

He didn't say that at all.

He said, he doesnt see that he will become the Barkov type player and might rely on lankyness. There is nothing wrong with that. It's his opinion. These boards are for sharing opinions

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Physical strength can be altered. Lets also not act like these guys are freakishly strong. Theyre not. And its not their biggest strength. Youre talking about Kotkaniemi as if he was Pettersson and youve been proven wrong time and time again, yet, always come back to the same BS
Kopitar and Barkov are absolute bulls on skates. Kotka right now gets pushed over at will. These are just facts, so...

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
you're not even arguing anything I'm saying lol

Do you walk around with a helmet on? Honest question.

Both of you are right, but the point is that Kotkaniemi is the youngest player in the nhl. That he's even playing this well and surviving is honestly shocking.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Both of you are right, but the point is that Kotkaniemi is the youngest player in the nhl. That he's even playing this well and surviving is honestly shocking.

Of course the fact that he's playing in the NHL with such a lanky physique at 18 year old is impressive but thats not the point, the fact that hes that tall doesn't mean his body is mature. Can he play in the NHL right now even with his current physique? yes he's smart enough. Is it the best option for his developpement, i'm still not sure about it... i guess it's the kind of stuff we will never know, but is making him play less minutes and less overall quality minutes against tougher competition better than making a smoother transition on NA ice ( yes let's not forget he's never played north americain hockey before this season) with a top end role with top end minutes in the AHL with a developpement Coach + going to the WJC? I was never against showing him how the NHL was for a few games, he did force the managements hands but at the end of the day the decision was whats best for his futures, proving he can hold his own in the NHL or take the safest option with a smoother developpement learning NA ice and playing more minutes and grow a bigger physique for the NHL next year. My personnal humble opinion is the second option. i might be wrong, I wanted Montreal to fall into the draft since the end of the U18 because Kotkaniemi was my guy and had no faith in Montreal picking him at 5, let alone 3!

We honestly can't screw or stun this kids developpement, he's one of the key, he'll never be that shift by shift fancy flash player, but he could be that shift by shift Effective center that does it all and we need him to be that guy or else we're f***ed. Montreal top prospects are all the same type, Effective collective player. If Kotkaniemi doesn't pan out to be a 1C two-way center or the best 2C in the NHL, this team will likely go no where unless we somehow get lucky in a draft.

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad