Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 14 (mod warning post #657)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
that tells us nothing really though as at 17 you don't know who is going to keep progressing, who has peaked ala someone like say Collberg etc..

Elite Prospects - Liiga Stats All-time season

In the history of Liiga, if KK had 1 more point, only 4 U-18 players would have had more points then him, Barkov, Laine, Granlund and Kakko.

But blaming Armia and Lekhonen for Kotkaniemi lack of production seems unwarranted to me. I'm sure the same fans were screaming for Arty to be given more prime opportunities when he showed up, and blaming his linemates at the time when he didn't break through.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I can't believe how many people are complaining about KK linemates specifically for this game.

We have Toffoli Inured, Armia has Covid, and Staal is quarantining.

We basically have 3 top 9 forwards including our leading scorer who normally plays with KK injured. Ffs as a board we collective B**** too much.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
I can't believe how many people are complaining about KK linemates specifically for this game.

We basically have 3 top 9 forwards including our leading scorer who normally plays with KK injured. Ffs as a board we collective B**** too much.
No it is called for. Why does this organization keep giving preferential treatment to a 28 year old UFA that can't spell offense instead of their prized 3OV pick?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
But blaming Armia and Lekhonen for Kotkaniemi lack of production seems unwarranted to me. I'm sure the same fans were screaming for Arty to be given more prime opportunities when he showed up, and blaming his linemates at the time when he didn't break through.

Literally every player on the team sees its production destroyed when playing with those two, only one of them has played with them a majority of the time and only one of them produces more than anyone else when he's away from these two.

ILL LET YOU FIGURE IT OUT.

Hear me out... Anderson, Drouin, Tatar, Gallagher are not injured.

Hear me out... Danault has the same number of points as KK and less goals while playing more minutes and with better linemates and he's been ass defensively.

Hear me out... Suzuki has been disgustingly bad lately, KK has outproduced him for a month now at ES, while giving up less goals and being much better on draws, while playing 4 minutes less.

Somehow, the dude that has outproduced everyone, given up the least goals and that should be the one worth more to the team just by sheer talent, age, potential and draft pedigree is the one that gets the hit.

Not the potential UFA that has expressed concerns about his future here time and time again.
Not the 21 years old Suzuki who is either injured or just in a very bad slump.

No, the 20 years old that was on the up-swing lately and that seemed to be breaking out.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
No it is called for. Why does this organization keep giving preferential treatment to a 28 year old UFA that can't spell offense instead of their prized 3OV pick?

Cause it's arguably been our best line the past few games and was also our best line for about 3 years in a row.

KK has had pretty good linemates most if the year and is getting powerplay time.

Our leading scorer + a 15-20 goal winger is solid linemates for a 20 year old, KK has literally been playing with our best forward most of the year, you know the one who is top 10 in goals scored in the league..

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Cause it's arguably been our best line the past few games and was also our best line for about 3 years in a row.

KK has had pretty good linemates most if the year and is getting powerplay time.

Our leading scorer + a 15-20 goal winger is solid linemates for a 20 year old, KK has literally been playing with our best forward most of the year, you know the one who is top 10 in goals scored in the league..
Yeah, and he has been doing better than Danault all year, so why is he the one playing with the AHLers in an offensive role ?

It makes no sense. Are we expecting Danault to go up against McDavid, not get scored at ES and actually score goals ?

Or would it make more sense to send a defensive line against McDavid and exploit the very bad depth the Oilers have ?

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Isn't the signature of the a star player that they are able to make everyone around them better? Lobbying for Jasper to get extra help and special treatment is effectively admitting his limitations.

Reactions: NineteenSixtyFive

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Isn't the signature of the a star player that they are able to make everyone around them better? Lobbying for Jasper to get extra help and special treatment is effectively admitting his limitations.
Star player ? Kotkaniemi is 20 and probably won't ever be a star player.

Im also doubting Crosby could carry these scrubs to decency. Thats a ridiculous statement.

Special treatment is not scoring a goal for a whole calendar year and still remaining with the teams best winger.

Speical treatment isn't getting demoted despite outplaying your comparable on the team, or at worst, playing as good as them, while being younger.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Star player ? Kotkaniemi is 20 and probably won't ever be a star player.

Im also doubting Crosby could carry these scrubs to decency. Thats a ridiculous statement.

Special treatment is not scoring a goal for a whole calendar year and still remaining with the teams best winger.

Speical treatment isn't getting demoted despite outplaying your comparable on the team, or at worst, playing as good as them, while being younger.

Your obsession is getting tiresome. We get it, you hate Danault. And Ducharme. And Bergevin.

Whatever.

Reactions: dralaf and dgeezus

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral

Our best line while finishing at the bottom of the standings.....? It's a mediocre top 6 line and the organization would be better served to develop the 3rd ov pick rather than continue the mediocre ''top6" line.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Yes, exactly....every talented youngster that isn't a McDavid or Crosby should be forced to play with career plugs and make them better for their first 3 years right?

Reactions: Habs178

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Pumping up Kotkaniemi's tires obviously didn't work out for Ducharme from a team standpoint. I don’t think he's managed to win 40% of the games he's coached in the NHL. They gave it a try, it didn't work well, so sit back young grasshopper and watch Mr. Eric Staal show you how it's done. :)

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Pumping up Kotkaniemi's tires obviously didn't work out for Ducharme from a team standpoint. I don’t think he's managed to win 40% of the games he's coached in the NHL. They gave it a try, it didn't work well, so sit back young grasshopper and watch Mr. Eric Staal show you how it's done. :)
Opinions like this are why we havent had a decent offensive center in 20+ years and why our player development is the worst in the nhl

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Let me hit you up with some straight facts my guy, with Danault as the top center, this team has gone .501 over 4 years.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Probably because he's still Montreal's best two-way center even against top competition and has more ES points than any other center on this team.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
And it will continue to be that way if you don't develop the youngsters. Not impressive that at 28 and in his UFA season Danault can marginally outproduce Suzuki&KK.

His line has some of the best (or actually the best) puck possession and production (Goals for vs Goals against) in the league. Se we should blow it up because some posters hate Danault?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
His line has some of the best (or actually the best) puck possession and production (Goals for vs Goals against) in the league. Se we should blow it up because some posters hate Danault?
Gallagher has some of the best puck possession and production in the league, not his line.

Gallagher has, through the years, produced at similar level numbers wise with Danault, a run down version of Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller and even Galchenyuk.

His numbers are even better in the limited time he has been with Kotkaniemi, but lets not get that in the way of the Danault media-hype train.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
And it will continue to be that way if you don't develop the youngsters. Not impressive that at 28 and in his UFA season Danault can marginally outproduce Suzuki&KK.

I'm a little confused here.

-Suzuki and Kotkaniemi and play on the PP and Danult does not.
-Suzuki plays more at 5v5.
-Kotkaniemi is sheltered (for development purposes) at 5v5.
-Kotkaniemi's most common linemates are Toffoli, Perry and Armia, which really doesn't seem that bad to me.

I'm not sure what more should be expected. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi's inconsistency (both in production and play) is disappointing. They're getting competent linemates and have been put in positions to succeed.

I do agree that its not impressive that at 28 and in his UFA season Danault can marginally outproduce Suzuki&KK. They need to show more more consistently.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
2 more than Suzuki and 3 more than KK... Wow, im thoroughly impressed.

Ok? It has nothing to do with being impressive or not. He's been straight up better 5v5. Better underlying numbers, better production, tougher minutes.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Gallagher has some of the best puck possession and production in the league, not his line.

Gallagher has, through the years, produced at similar level numbers wise with Danault, a run down version of Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller and even Galchenyuk.

His numbers are even better in the limited time he has been with Kotkaniemi, but lets not get that in the way of the Danault media-hype train.

So everything good that Danault does is on the back of Gallagher?

Is there ANYTHING at all that Danault could actually do that could mean that he's actually a good player? Because points, face-offs, defensive play, puck possession... that's all Gally's doing.

Reactions: dralaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad