Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Estimated_Prophet said the nickname koko doesnt make any sense, and so for KK is better. But KK absolutly doesnt make any sence at all, koko is much better. Where the heck the other K even come from?

Kot(k)aniemi?

I agree with fellow posters who claim that the Habs probably view his stint in Liiga as an extended, early training camp. Get your feet moving and keep your pace up during game situations against adults.

Obviously we want him scoring points but I don’t think it matters. From the clips he seems to be skating well, still likes to hit, and is setting some teammates up.

I’m still very excited for him this year and hopefully he gets at least 1 qualify offensive winger

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I have a hard time to see what type of player KK is gonna be in a few years.

Is he gonna be Geztlaf type? Is he gonna be a power Eller, big center physical who has difficult putting point on a regular basis? I’m afraid.

I don’t see him putting 70-80 points season, sadly...

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Still looks like he's cutting through mud with a stick. He just doesn't have good hands IMO.

Hands of stone confirmed.

Unbelievable how fickle these boards are. I mean, I get that it's the information age and people have the patience and attention span of goldfish but holy shit.

79 games in the NHL: Wow, Habs proving everyone wrong, he was the right pick at 3!
36 games in the NHL: Should have drafted Tkachuk or Hughes instead, Kotka's a reach and a bust.
13 games in the AHL: Oh thank god, he's actually pretty good.
10 games in NHL playoffs: He's a star in the making!
3 games in Liiga: Definitely another bust, has no offence.

Kid just turned 20. Chill.

Last edited:

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He does have a bit of a janky shooting technique, even now. He gets a lot of power on it though . Reminds me of Wendel Clark a bit, he had a lethal wrist shot but he needed a lot of time and space to fire it .

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Short stick was something I'd wish for since he started his career. Nothing to worry about as far as his production. Not at the same place his teamates are. I have no doubt he will pick it up soon. Different type of rink. Different teamates. He is getting his chances. It will work soon.

Reactions: kevsavard95

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
I mean he should show just a little more compete level than players do at all star games but not much. If we assume his level will be similar or better than what we saw in the playoffs, he'll be very much instrumental for the team this season

As long as he doesn't get injured it doesn't matter too much. I mean, maybe I'M wrong but Assat doesn't even pay him since this is a loan right?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
It's just weird that the AHL stint where he was threading crazy passes, was too small.

The play-ins/playoffs where he had 4 goals and could've had like 7, were also too small a sample size and also not credible enough.

But these 3 Liiga games where he's 'on loan' are apparently VERY WORRISOME.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Short stick was something I'd wish for since he started his career. Nothing to worry about as far as his production. Not at the same place his teamates are. I have no doubt he will pick it up soon. Different type of rink. Different teamates. He is getting his chances. It will work soon.
Meh, even the shorter stick wont help his reaction time. It seems to be a coordination problem mostly. Not sure how much improvement there is to be expected in that regard.

He will need to play faster and handle the puck less, specially along the boards. In open space he's alright.

I don't expect him to be a high end point producer because he doesn't have the ease to make tougher and more creative plays, but he's gonna be a useful middle six C.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
It's just weird that the AHL stint where he was threading crazy passes, was too small.

The play-ins/playoffs where he had 4 goals and could've had like 7, were also too small a sample size and also not credible enough.

But these 3 Liiga games where he's 'on loan' are apparently VERY WORRISOME.
Lars Eller scored 4 goals in one game

Kotkaniemi has been hot trash for the most part of his NHL stint. My doubts on him are based on that.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Lars Eller scored 4 goals in one game

Kotkaniemi has been hot trash for the most part of his NHL stint. My doubts on him are based on that.

lol no he hasn't. I'm pretty sure a ground total of zero people on here pencilled him in as an NHLer in his D+1. And not only that he showed more than Galchenyuk did in a REAL NHL season. He petered out near the end due to fatigue.

All that was bad was his 2nd regular season because he likely couldn't train due to his surgery. That was 36 games out of a grand total 125 games including playoffs.

Lion's share of his rookie year and play ins were all extremely encouraging. No idea what you're talking about.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

Hands of stone confirmed.

Unbelievable how fickle these boards are. I mean, I get that it's the information age and people have the patience and attention span of goldfish but holy shit.

79 games in the NHL: Wow, Habs proving everyone wrong, he was the right pick at 3!
36 games in the NHL: Should have drafted Tkachuk or Hughes instead, Kotka's a reach and a bust.
13 games in the AHL: Oh thank god, he's actually pretty good.
10 games in NHL playoffs: He's a star in the making!
3 games in Liiga: Definitely another bust, has no offence.

Kid just turned 20. Chill.

If you judge a player's hands on a practice shootout, I don't know what to say. Kotkaniemi clearly has issues handling the puck in tight spaces, you know, where most of the game of hockey is played. One of the main reasons he plays with Armia is so that the latter can correct the situation every time he kills a play because he can't handle the puck along the boards.

And Tkachuk is just a better player and always will be, not just based on production, but by the ability to actually create offense on his own and he simply has more tools (better skater, better hands, agitation and fighting ability). Also, no one in their right mind ever thought Kotkaniemi was a better player than Tkachuk after his first year lol. That will also never change as Tkachuk will always be the better player.

We didn't pick the best player and people should get used to that and set their expectations properly before running him out of town for becoming a useful third liner.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
lol no he hasn't. I'm pretty sure a ground total of zero people on here pencilled him in as an NHLer in his D+1. And not only that he showed more than Galchenyuk did in a REAL NHL season. He petered out near the end due to fatigue.

All that was bad was his 2nd regular season because he likely couldn't train due to his surgery. That was 36 games out of a grand total 125 games including playoffs.

Lion's share of his rookie year and play ins were all extremely encouraging. No idea what you're talking about.
He should have never played in the NHL in his D+1. And it wasn't near the end where he faded out, it was the entire second half. And lets not talk about the entirety of his second year. Injuries were a factor, but the flaws still remain, injury or no injury.

He looked like a better skater during the playoffs, and everyone is so excited to see him try to hit everything he sees, but I see a player who's limited and trying to find a way to compensate by getting out of his way to hit players because he can't exactly do much of anything else truly productive to affect the play in a positive way. I feel like the way he will produce at the higher level will come out of individual effort and garbage goals. This is why I don't see him becoming a bonafide top 6 player.

The hitting doesn't hype me up, it often takes him out of position. That is worrying to me.

At least he does have a great wrister.

Reactions: Habs Icing

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He should have never played in the NHL in his D+1. And it wasn't near the end where he faded out, it was the entire second half. And lets not talk about the entirety of his second year. Injuries were a factor, but the flaws still remain, injury or no injury.

He looked like a better skater during the playoffs, and everyone is so excited to see him try to hit everything he sees, but I see a player who's limited and trying to find a way to compensate by getting out of his way to hit players because he can't exactly do much of anything else truly productive to affect the play in a positive way. I feel like the way he will produce at the higher level will come out of individual effort and garbage goals. This is why I don't see him becoming a bonafide top 6 player.

The hitting doesn't hype me up, it often takes him out of position. That is worrying to me.

At least he does have a great wrister.

The flaws were mostly physical. Skating and constantly falling down. That to me looks mostly corrected.

He's a very good passer. Not quite displayed yet but willing to see what he can do with better linemates. Going an assist per game in the AHL as a 19 year old even in a small sample size was encouraging. He conneccted on some real beauties. I've seen enough flashes in his rookie season to be heartened by his playmaking.

I would be utterly shocked if he couldn't be a damn fine 2nd line C. Danault isn't even that far off a 2nd line C for crying out loud.

That's a lot of mind reading with the physcality. Looking at his U18 tourney highlights, he liked to play physical. He was making smart plays all play-ins/playoffs long.

Hot garbage and McCarron comparisons? That's ridiculous.

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net

Jan Bulis also once scored 4 goals ...

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
and looking at his stats in January of his rookie year and he had 5 goals and 8 pts which was his best total for goals and tied for his best in points. So, no his 'entire 2nd half' he didn't fade out.

Reactions: kevsavard95
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad