Jesperi Kotkaniemi Meltdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That trade was made coming off a SCF appearance. Bergevin had just let Danault walk for nothing and Carolina squeezed us for Kohtkaniemi leaving us with no centers depth. It was the definition of a desperation trade. A lot of things blew up in Bergevin’s face and I attribute it to karma.
I know. And it was foolish to believe that their playoff success was sustainable. They were bad hockey team that finished under 0.500 in the cakewalk Canadian division. It was very obvious that the Habs weren't going to be competitive the following year going back to the Atlantic. Obviously Bergevin was fired that year for what unraveled, but that always stood out to me as a trade that was never going to provide value to Montreal Canadiens.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
He should just be satisfied with losing, I guess? And stop with the KK, it makes no sense. Kotka = eagle, Niemi = cape/peninsula. KN makes more sense.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I know. And it was foolish to believe that their playoff success was sustainable. They were bad hockey team that finished under 0.500 in the cakewalk Canadian division. It was very obvious that the Habs weren't going to be competitive the following year going back to the Atlantic. Obviously Bergevin was fired that year for what unraveled, but that always stood out to me as a trade that was never going to provide value to Montreal Canadiens.
The SCF Habs team was a good team. But then they lost Price, Weber, Danault, Perry, Tatar, and had (I think) an all-time record number of injuries. There is no comparison between the 2021 and 2022 rosters.

Reactions: viceroy

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You're being generous. Man the Habs are a disaster.

You tell him! I am sure he wishes he was back on that dumpster fire in Montreal over Carolina lol
Ya if only the Bruins would have showed that much heart.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
OK, you win the award for making me laugh the most today. Thank you. A good laugh is good for the health.

:clap::laugh::clap:
Hah. It was tee'd up pretty perfectly by @kihei

That's still one of the stupidest desperation trades I've seen in recent memory. Habs fans don't criticize that one enough.
Cause it's pretty insignificant. Late first in a weak draft, probably less than a 25% chance he becomes a better player than Dvorak. We do have Floridas first this year, what do you reckon we can get for that?

Reactions: Number8

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
That's probably the normal reaction when you're on the verge of elimination because the opposing goalie is stonewalling you with a .96 sv%

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
That's probably the normal reaction when you're on the verge of elimination because the opposing goalie is stonewalling you with a .96 sv%
It has more to do with a complete lack of offense from Carolina than great goaltending.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Habs fans are still whining about KK? God, they're almost as bad as Islanders fans.
I think that the majority of us have moved on.

Outside of posts like this, or the mere acknowledgement that "Oh, yeah. We drafted him. Man, I wish we'd taken Tkachuk." when his name is mentioned by play-by-play analysists, he never even crosses my mind.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It's kind of zany how winning seems to follow some players around.

KK is 22 years old and if he wasn't scratched a few times, he'd already have over 60 playoff games under his belt.

By comparison, guys on the current leafs core haven't played as many playoff games as KK at age 22, including tavares.

Reactions: Mrb1p

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
if hes this mad at losing in the conference finals imagine how mad hed be if he were still on the habs this season.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I can't believe this is a 5 page thread.

Highly competitive pro athletes react badly to losing all the time. Kotka just happened to do it in front of the camera.

Some are stoic and hold it inside, despite being raging. Some wait until they are in the room before say smashing their stick.

There truly is nothing to see here. If he walked off smiling and laughing, there would be a problem.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The SCF Habs team was a good team. But then they lost Price, Weber, Danault, Perry, Tatar, and had (I think) an all-time record number of injuries. There is no comparison between the 2021 and 2022 rosters.

Whether the 2021 roster was good or bad is irrelevant.

All those departures were known at the time of the Dvorak trade.

Personally I was happy to get the pick for Kotkaniemi and finding a Dvorak im FA.

I dont think its the trade thats gonna sink or swim the rebuild though, but its like most of Bergevin's move - it made little sense in terms of planning a roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad