Jesperi Kotkaniemi is the best C from the 2018 draft.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
2cvj4i.gif

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I wouldn't really be comfortable rating anything until this time in 2023. So two more seasons basically.

Kotkaniemi was badly rushed, he was so young and physically so unready. Whether that harmed his progress and development though, that's tough to say. He looked a lot more mature and like he belonged in the playoffs last seasons after the covid break, and has continued and built on that this season. Still lots to learn and filling out to do, but he's getting there.

I could see him ending up as the best C of the draft, but probably far from 3rd best player of the draft.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
He needs to fix his footspeed and overral quickness

he does remind me a lot of galchenyuk in that department

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
What a shock opinion coming from an Avs fan. Let's just skip Hughes who's basically a ppg player in his first 18 playoff games and this year as well.
But let me guess plus\minus right?

You're comparing Paul Coffey to Scott Stevens.

Both are great but some prefer Montreal's generational defender.

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
I dont get why this thread even exist, maybe a troll?? there is polarizing opinions on habs board about KK, but majority are pretty happy to have a 20 year old in constant progression, we haven't had that in 20 years (which is sad btw).

since the coach change he has been given more opportunities and has been one of the better players on this team. But he's 20 years old ffs, I am shocked to read some of the posts in this thread...there is even one completely clueless guy saying that he'll be back in Europe in no time ?? what the hell is that??

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Honestly Montreal is way worse than Toronto when it comes to overhyping their players.

He may be the best C (which isn’t saying much) but he’d most definitely drop in a redraft.

Agree, overhyped. He’s shown some flashes but overall just MEH. He in my opinion will be a 3C, doesn’t have have offensive upside. MTL should have drafted the BPA but went for need, imo, a mistake.

Jul 6, 2016
There was not much centerman depth in that draft ..... Barrett Hayton went 5th overall because Arizona drafted for a need too like the Habs... And where is Hayton now ?

KK will improve over the years. We have to be patient. He could become a very good, two-way #2 centerman.... He needs a skating coach, though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’ll never understand why they reached and passed on Tkachuk.

You could make the argument that drafting B. Tkachuk and force feeding him at center like CBJ did with Dubois would be a more worthwhile project than Kotkaniemi.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I hate seeing people complain about this pick especially Habs fans. Sure Tkachuck and Hughes are probably better picks for now but Kotkaniemi is certainly the best C from the draft. What do you guys think

Isn't that like saying that Nail Yakupov was one of the best 5 RW picked in 2012?

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
It's probably a poor choice of a thread title, but KK has been doing very well in the short sample size that is the coaching change to Ducharme.

I think, more than wingers, it was Julien's defensive system and lack of creativity that was suffocating KK, Drouin and others.

We will see if it lasts, but it was great to see KK being the center of attention on his PP unit. I thought he was very good at distributing from the half-wall. Points will come.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
KK will be legit, but this is a dumb post. Your just asking for other fans to rag on our players..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad