Jesperi Kotkaniemi is the best C from the 2018 draft.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Honestly Montreal is way worse than Toronto when it comes to overhyping their players.

He may be the best C (which isn’t saying much) but he’d most definitely drop in a redraft.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
I think KK is good as a faceoff and penalty killer, but that still doesn't justify using a top 3 selection on such a center.

He doesn't kill penalty really.

He is a good playmaker. He has a nice shot. Also just 20 years old. He starting to win way more battle along the board and throw his body around.

HAs been terrific last 2 games.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Are the canucks that bad that they don't count as an nhl team?

They had the worse defensive start in 15+ years lets not act like they weren't horrible. If kotkaniemi was as good as those games would suggest he wouldn't be that underwhelming against the rest of the league. At this point in time a lot of habs players have been inflated by playing Vancouver during that stretch 5 times.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Was Leblanc a reach like Kotkaniemi though? I seem to recall he went right around where he was expected to go.

Central Scouting had him at 13th for all NA skaters. THW had him at 23rd for all draft eligible skaters. 5 Euro's were picked before him.

North American Skaters Final Rankings | NHL.com - 2009 NHL Entry Draft
https://thehockeywriters.com/23-–-the-hockey-spy’s-2009-nhl-entry-draft-rankings/

So maybe a few slots too high, but not a huuuge reach, if you liked the player.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
They had the worse defensive start in 15+ years lets not act like they weren't horrible. If kotkaniemi was as good as those games would suggest he wouldn't be that underwhelming against the rest of the league. At this point in time a lot of habs players have been inflated by playing Vancouver during that stretch 5 times.

Hilarious.
"Stats against my team does not count because we were playing bad" is basically what you are saying, and its utter nonsense.

Let me guess you also consider the canucks to be undefeated this season because the losses they have don't count.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Hilarious.
"Stats against my team does not count because we were playing bad" is basically what you are saying, and its utter nonsense.

Let me guess you also consider the canucks to be undefeated this season because the losses they have don't count.

No Canucks are terrible lol. Bottom 5 team defensively and by point percentage. Doesn't change the fact in a year where you only play 7 teams 45% of Kotkaniemi's points came against the Canucks who are a bottom 3 defensive during a stretch where the Canucks gave up the most 5 goal games in the past 15 years. He'll be playing in Europe very soon.

Last edited:

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
To be fair, 2021 Kotkaniemi looks like a better player that his point totals would indicate, unlike guys like Toffoli or Petry. While he can still look kinda lost at times, he manages to show glimpses of great things in every aspect of the game but maybe shooting. He's been playing solid hockey under Ducharme so far.

The guy is 20 and I still think he was rushed in the NHL. Nevertheless, I project him as a responsible two-way player able to put 55-65 points in the good environment. The way he's playing right now certainly makes it look like a realistic bet.

Last edited:
Reactions: FractionTwo

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Not all that fierce competition but he does look considerably better than last year and seems to have built on what he showed in the bubble. Still inconsistent but he's had many games this year where he probably should've collected multiple points and can usually be counted on in the defensive part of the game. Last year's struggles didn't do his development any good but it seems like he's done a lot of right things since the league went on the COVID break.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Should've been sent to the AHL last season a lot earlier. Given more time to get used to the NHL game. Was not, has not been playing that great as is.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Only Svechnikov, Tkachuk and Hughes are living up to their expectations.
But quite a few are more or less coming to the league in this season.
Dahlin and Kotkaniemi were put in a difficult situation.
Maybe we need just a couple of seasons before judging who sucks and who doesn‘t.

With Ducharme taking over, Kotkaniemial already looks like he got his confidence back and is playing solidly. Got to keep in mind that he's quite younger than most of the players named. He'll get there with them soon enough.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
To be fair, 2021 Kotkaniemi looks like a better player that his point totals would indicate, unlike guys like Toffoli or Petry. While he can still look kinda lost at times, he manages to show glimpses of great things in every aspect of the game but maybe shooting. He's been playing solid hockey under Ducharme so far.

The guy is 20 and I still think he was rushed in the NHL. Nevertheless, I project him as a responsible two-way player able to put 55-65 points in the good environment. The way he's playing right now certainly makes it look like a realistic bet.
This is probably the most accurate post in the thread. Kotkaniemi's still one of the youngest players in the league and is in his 3rd NHL season. He's been mostly limited by his frame, which is tall and skinny and has made him look awkward at times. Luckily, that weakness may turn into a strength as he naturally gains pounds and muscle. You can already see the progress from 2019 when he'd fall every time he was hit, to the current realization that he can muscle his way through players. The tools are there -- as you said, you can see them in flashes -- he's just waiting for his body to catch up with his talent. Obviously there are no guarantees, but I'd rather bet on a 20-year old filling out in 2/3 years than a 20-year old acquiring skills.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Julien LG

Dec 16, 2018
There are barely 10 players younger than him in the entire NHL. And he's looking quite good right now.

He should have been in the AHL last year, but he's going to overcome that imo. Top 6 centerman. A good pick

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Honestly Montreal is way worse than Toronto when it comes to overhyping their players.

He may be the best C (which isn’t saying much) but he’d most definitely drop in a redraft.

Disagree. If you want objectivity, his advanced stats are solid. CF% in the high 50%. To my subjective eye he already look way better then 2 years ago and last year.

11pts, +7 in 23 doesn’t look bad to me. I’m ready to take a bet he will improve that pace until season end.

He doesn’t get huge TOI because of the Habs offensive depth.

Everything points out to a 60-70 points 2way center. Maybe he drops behind Tkachuk in a redraft, but that’s it.

Edit : yeah would drop behind Hughes as well, forgot about him

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
If he gets to his ceiling which imo is 50-60p 2C that plays both ways, that's a solid pick. And easy to build around.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Only Svechnikov, Tkachuk and Hughes are living up to their expectations.
But quite a few are more or less coming to the league in this season.
Dahlin and Kotkaniemi were put in a difficult situation.
Maybe we need just a couple of seasons before judging who sucks and who doesn‘t.

Farabee is exceeding expectations. He's looking like a 1st line two-way winger already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad