Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - (On Loan to Liiga)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
The Habs are pumping out KK content today on social media. Selling us on our new franchise centre? Incoming extension? :sarcasm:

All jokes

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Season recap (2019/2020): Jesperi Kotkaniemi
The skinny: The knee surgery he underwent in the offseason may not have held him out of action at the start of 2019-20, but he got off to a sluggish start and recorded just three points in 12 games before a groin injury would force him out of the lineup until mid-November.

Kotkaniemi would play 10 more games before suffering a concussion against the Colorado Avalanche in early December. He scored a goal in his return after an eight-game absence, and when he tallied on January 9 against the Oilers, he moved into fifth place in franchise history for most career goals scored by a teenager. Still, the Pori native was sent down to the Laval Rocket after totalling six goals for eight points in 36 games for Montreal. Kotkaniemi felt a spark as soon as his AHL stint began, however, notching seven assists in his first four games with the Habs' AHL affiliate. KK would go on to record 13 points (1G, 12A) in as many games with the Rocket, but his season came to a close on March 7 when he suffered an injury to his spleen.
Notable numbers:
Scored his 1st career away goal on Oct. 3
Registered 2 points (1-1-2) on Nov. 28
Played his 100th NHL career game on Dec. 3
Set a career-high with 17 penalty minutes on Jan. 16
Led the team in January with 19 penalty minutes
Playoff punditry: The real story of Kotkaniemi's 2019-20 season takes place after the NHL pause... Kotkaniemi became the second-youngest Montreal player to enjoy a multi-goal playoff outing with a two-goal effort. KK finished the playoffs with four goals, a plus-four differential, and averaged 13:53 of ice time in 10 contests. His shooting percentage of 36.4% was by far tops on the Habs, and his 36 hits were second for Montreal.

cut.jpg

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Gallagher-PressConference(20/09/14):Kotkaniemi
“And with KK, you still gotta remember how young he is. He played at 18... He’s going into his third season, but he’s a 20-year-old kid. You can see the strides that he’s making, and you look back at your own development — me, at that age, I was just turning pro. He’s already got two years under his belt and he’s understood definitely the growing pains, definitely the areas of his game that he needed to mature at. But you can see the raw talent and the raw ability...”
“And then in the playoffs he was able to use some of the lessons that he learned down in the AHL and he came and he was such an important player for us. And those are things that when you’re thinking about long term and the strides that these players are going to be able to make, it definitely affects your decision making and it’s a positive sign for sure.”

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He's just going to get better and better. I've always been on the fence of him being a truly special player but I'm tilting more on the side of him doing so.

Even if he isn't, his floor is high enough for me to at least not HATE the pick. It may have been the wrong pick in the long term but not bad enough to really despise it. For me anyways. And that's WORST case scenario.

Can't wait to watch this kid mature.

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
Was watching an episode of a paranormal documentary called Paranormal Nightshift and in it are people experiencing ghosts and stuff..

Stumbled upon her!! Does KK have a sister? :laugh:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I can't wait to see this dude get after it next season

Bold prediction: if he's playing with one of Lehkonen OR Byron, he'll only be able to have a mediocre season offensively.

Please Marc, get this guy some offensive wingers - even if not the top UFA's like Hall, Hoffman, Dadonov, and Granlund. Kovalchuk, Galchenyuk, or Athanasiou on 1 year deals is better than Byron and Lehkonen.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
Saw him last sunday taking some shots. Seemed to have a nice touch. For sure had a lot shorter shaft now. The loft on the other hand was bigger as he was using irons. Don't know how his round was though, practice range is one thing and the course is something else.

:D

Reactions: HabsMD97

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
One of the best aspects of getting Toffoli is that it guarantees KK gets some talent to play with.

It sounds like Toffoli had instant chemistry with Elias Pettersson, which must be one of the reasons why Canucks fans are so upset Benning didn't bring him back.

Let's hope TT and KK gel together quickly.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Hello!

Can someone do my homework for me?

Since we know one of Toffoli or Anderson will be on KK's line can some number expert show me the stats of KK's combination/duo with Leks or Byron or Armia?

Trying to figure out who could be his third linesmate.
Forget about their preffered position, just want stats(1 or 2 years if possible).

Thank you!

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I’d like to see Kotkaniemi play with Anderson. With Anderson driving the net it’ll give him more time and space to release his elite level shot. If they play a full season I can see Kotkaniemi getting 20+ this season and 50+ points.

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal
I tried to look up what Kotkaniemi 2.5M performance bonuses are? Julien will give him less TOI so he doesn't get them and stay under the cap which sucks for the kid on a hockey perspective :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad