Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - (On Loan to Liiga)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
What happens if this is a contract dispute? ;) JK has decided to leave NHL...lol

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
When is the target date for the nhl btw? December?

January 1st minimum - but as far as I know there's yet to be any reports/rumors about what they're even gonna do for next season. Players hated the bubble, and that was for a ~10-20 game playoff run, doing a bubble for a season sounds almost impossible.

And NHL needs revenue....revenue from paying fans. Some states/places are more open to this than others - which isn't exactly a good thing with all the risks of COVID still. But without any fans in the stands, it may not even make sense to have a season?

So many questions - so few answers.

NHL did an absolutely terrific job with the playoffs - so i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here, but it's complicated

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Terrific! Kotkaniemi will put up stellar numbers in that league and come back looking even better than he did in the POs. Love to see it!

Reactions: Gravity

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
I would've liked for him to use that time to train more and get even stronger, it would be like having 2 off seasons in one year, but at the same time it'll be good for him to play and hopefully dominate while practicing his style of play in a lower league.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
January 1st right now (Bettman confirmed it at the Draft). But that isn't confirmed. It may even be pushed back again some more.
Man that sucks. . We can finally ice a very strong lineup, and theres a chance there might be an abreviated season or maybe not one at all. I would cry! On a side note i heard the ahl is December 4 tentatively

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
January 1st minimum - but as far as I know there's yet to be any reports/rumors about what they're even gonna do for next season. Players hated the bubble, and that was for a ~10-20 game playoff run, doing a bubble for a season sounds almost impossible.

And NHL needs revenue....revenue from paying fans. Some states/places are more open to this than others - which isn't exactly a good thing with all the risks of COVID still. But without any fans in the stands, it may not even make sense to have a season?

So many questions - so few answers.

NHL did an absolutely terrific job with the playoffs - so i'm giving them the benefit of the doubt here, but it's complicated
Agreed. A season with 31 teams is a whole different monster though.

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Man that sucks. . We can finally ice a very strong lineup, and theres a chance there might be an abreviated season or maybe not one at all. I would cry! On a side note i heard the ahl is December 4 tentatively
This was a bit before my time as a sports fan, but didn't a similar thing happened with the Expos? Didn't they have a championship aspiring team (not saying the Habs are Cup contenders lol) but the lockout happened and we all know what happened after that. Anyways I don't mind if the start gets pushed back more, but I just hope there will be a season, although with what's happening with the NFL I'm starting to get a bit worried.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Agreed. A season with 31 teams is a whole different monster though.

Yeah. There's probably a few ways to do it logistically. There's been talk of a Canadian only division for example (that way cross-border travel isn't necessary).

My biggest hurdle is the no fans. I just can't get past the finances. How are all these owners going to dish out ~80M$ in salary this year while generating on average ~100M$ less revenue (and some a whole lot more) from fans in attendance at games? The economics don't make sense to me. There isn't enough revenue in tv deals and other sources.

I think having no fans for the first ~20-30 games, and adding fans later on could be a workaround - but it's also a huge risk, because there's no telling if the situation around the world will get better to allow fans back to game by ~March let's say.

Also - if you do less fans and distance them out - that at least half the capacity gone, and half the revenue, probably more. That also doesn't seem financially viable to me.

Reactions: FLHabs

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I like it, build on what he has done, confidence booster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad