Jesperi Kotkaniemi Breakout Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Easy to forget he's still just 23 and 3 years of his development were hindered by MTL. He's been pretty invisible lately but part of it is injury as mentioned and also his linemates have been invisible too. A healthy Svech on his wing along with him being healthy and he'd have more production in the last month. I still think he's an ok 2C, not completely ideal but in the absence of a clear upgrade (hard to find) he's fine there and is on a contract that is very reasonable even if he is playing like a 3C. He's responsible in all zones so even when the points aren't there he helps the team.
He wasn't hindered by MTL, that is a myth. He was playing 13/14 mins a game, sheltered assignments. Had a great RC year and decent playoff numbers in MTL.

His first year in CAR they him played less minutes, with worse players and here we are, he is struggling a bit in CAR and his last two games, 11 minutes.

MTL did sit him in the second Cup playoff run and that is where the myth of misused Jesperi comes from. And he showed us by going to CAR and breaking out in the playoffs with 9 points in 29 games, a third of those points in one game.

And while young, he has 350 NHL games, and doesn't appear to be improving much. Or maybe he is and Rod is hindering him.

His primary issue is he has cement legs and the league keeps getting faster.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
He wasn't hindered by MTL, that is a myth. He was playing 13/14 mins a game, sheltered assignments. Had a great RC year and decent playoff numbers in MTL.

His first year in CAR they him played less minutes, with worse players and here we are, he is struggling a bit in CAR and his last two games, 11 minutes.

MTL did sit him in the second Cup playoff run and that is where the myth of misused Jesperi comes from. And he showed us by going to CAR and breaking out in the playoffs with 9 points in 29 games, a third of those points in one game.

And while young, he has 350 NHL games, and doesn't appear to be improving much. Or maybe he is and Rod is hindering him.

His primary issue is he has cement legs and the league keeps getting faster.
His usage wasn't the issue in his development in Montreal if anything the issue was always having him in the league at 18 and 19

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I've been thinking the canes should make a big splash to address that top 6 center for a long time now.

Last year, they didn't do it but with the way the injuries ended up, maybe it was a blessing.

This year, I think they ought to take that plunge and see what happens.

If kotaknkemi takes a step forward, then you got really strong depth at center. If he doesn't move forward, then you got an insurance policy.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Every year in Montréal he had these stretches of 1-2 pt in a month but at least he wasn't counted on to be a 2nd line C. And I see he got less than 10 minutes of ice time in each of the last two games. You can bet fans would be howling about that here.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He's looked like a true 1C for much of the season, including tonight. Could very easily have 3-4 points with some luck, has created a ton of chances for himself and teammates.

This whole deal has worked out better than the hurricanes could have ever hoped. What a steal to have him on the contract he's on.

Oof.

With that said, the Aho-Kotkaniemi sagas will never not make me laugh.

Habs fans acted like complete baboons during the Aho saga just to have Canes fans act utterly stupid and pontificate on a player they knew nothing about when they signed Kotkaniemi.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Before he was injured, he was very much playing like a low end 1C.

The only oof is Habs fans coming in here to critique a guy playing through injury because they're upset that they lost a young top 6C for nothing.

Between Gaudreau and Kotkaniemi, I don't blame you for being this salty.

I don't care about losing Kotkaniemi and wouldn't have thought about this if not for this thread. I think Montreal fully deserved what happened there. I'm just not going to pretend like your post wasn't dumb as hell though.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

I don't care about losing Kotkaniemi and wouldn't have thought about this if not for this thread. I think Montreal fully deserved what happened there. I'm just not going to pretend like your post wasn't dumb as hell though.
I don't know who was being salty but this is one Hab fan that doesn't miss KK

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

You mean when he was leading the Canes in scoring through the first month of the season, he wasn't playing like a 1C?

Once he returns to full health, this will again be a fun thread to bump. BTW Gaudreau has 14 points in his last 14 games, and is again leading the Jackets in scoring.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I've been thinking the canes should make a big splash to address that top 6 center for a long time now.

Last year, they didn't do it but with the way the injuries ended up, maybe it was a blessing.

This year, I think they ought to take that plunge and see what happens.

If kotaknkemi takes a step forward, then you got really strong depth at center. If he doesn't move forward, then you got an insurance policy.
If KK was drafted where he was really ranked going into 2018 draft like from 10 onwards, he would be considered doing fine.

But at #3, and given he was drafted ahead of Brady Tkachuck and Quinn Hughes, it was a big time whiff going for position vs BPA. Only if 2 players are virtually equal in upside, should you allow position to impact your decision.

Carolina, they are a team that has operated with a money ball mindset, of getting value per dollar spent. Low to basically no acquisition cost for Patches and Burns last season for over $12.2 mill in cap commitment. But, was that the best use of $12 mill in cap space, given the age of their roster and being one of the better teams in the NHL the past couple of seasons? If they are not planning on extending any of their veteran Dmen like Pesce, Skjei this season and then Slavin next season, that really changes their Dcore. Throw in $4.8 mill for KK, that is legit #2C money there when factoring in the 8 year term and guaranteed money given what he had accomplished up to that point in time. Carolina can still get out of the deal at a 1/3 buyout since he's still just 24 this off-season.

Reactions: viceroy

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Before he was injured, he was very much playing like a low end 1C.

The only oof is Habs fans coming in here to critique a guy playing through injury because they're upset that they lost a young top 6C for nothing.

Kotkaniemi, who's scored more than 34 pts only once in 6 seasons, is a top 6 center :huh:

Other than a couple of posters mentioning it here, there's nothing online about Kotkaniemi playing through an injury, but even if it was the case, it doesn't justify having 3 pts in his last 23 games.

There's also nothing shocking about Kotkaniemi going through huge stretches of poor play. He does that every season.

This season: 3 pts in 23 games and counting

22-23: 3 pts in 23 games

21-22: 4 pts in 18 games, then another 3 pts in 20 games stretch. Also 1 pt in 13 games in the playoffs.

20-21: 1 pt in 19 games

19-20: 5 pts in 28 games

18-19: 5 pts in 17 games, then another 2 pts in 14 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad