Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - AHL edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I fully expect, despite so many calling for this, for everyone here to be furious.

But let JK find his game. The game plan appears to be to put pressure on these vets to get us back in playoff position by the TDL. If they can't do it, expect a fire sale and for the young guys to get their chance after.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Im just hoping hes not a future olli juolevi. A high draft pick whos making nothing good lol

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hopefully Claudasaurus is extinct when KK is recalled. Happy to see him go the AHL and maybe he can just relax and play his game on another team out of the playoffs

Our fan base won't let him relax cause we like hockey and we have 10 million GM's in the basements looking and looking at how he is doing. I am curious to see what wingers he plays with in Laval.

Bouchard is trying to make the playoffs remember. Kotkaniemi will need to produce and he won't be able to relax with no pressure. Forget about that

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
For a third overall pick, i expect to see him produce at 1 ppg in average. Every player whos became star player produce in a lower level at any age. So i don’t want to hear, he is young in the AHL, thats for this resson he doesnt produce. No. If hes suppose to become a good player. He has to dominate the AHL
How many other 19 year olds dominated the AHL?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Im just hoping hes not a future olli juolevi. A high draft pick whos making nothing good lol

Kotkaniemi's problem is not skill or IQ issues. His issue is physical strength. The problems in his game right now is time and space and he is forcing passes cause he don't have good edge work and puck protection. He's not stupid, he knows that he will be easily neutralized and loose the puck if he holds onto it so I have seen him time and time again trying to force a pass cause he is afraid of contact.

Mantha had similar issues before he filled into that frame. KK will never be a elite level skater but he can be a dominate puck possession center if he improves edge work and physical strength. His long stick reach will be a asset to him if he can hold his body position with edge work. Right now, you touch him and he looses his body position

Reactions: Garbox

Death

Formerly reaping souls as Death ...
Apr 24, 2014
France, Alps
Finally !
I hope he dominates in the AHL ... but I'm not expecting anything from the get-go. I believe his confidence is in shambles and it may take a fair amount of time to "heal", notwithstanding his other issues. I hope he finishes the season with the Rocket, and maybe start the next one in Laval too if needed. Now that the decision has been made, I hope management take their time.

I have no idea how JK will take it and react ... but this is a good occasion to start something new, forget the past struggles and concentrate on being a first liner with heavy duties. He may even have more pleasure in the near future (it's a game after all), I'm not so sure he was having fun trying to survive in the NHL. Surely less pressure and exposure than in MTL but I may be mistaken. Anyway, it's not like the door has been permanently shut, hopefully next time he's back is when he's ready.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
I hope Bouchard invests in KK, give him the best minutes and opportunities to succeed. None of this "earning it" nonsense. KK seems like a smart, hard-working player. Take some weight off his shoulders and allow him to develop his game without having to worry about being bounced around the lineup. The future isn't in Vejdemo or even Evans. They need to put all their money on KK.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
He was rushed last year................and suffered for it this year.

Both parties own this.................but it's the Habs that ultimately would rather more Weal this year than KK..............not sure that makes any sense at all.

He will benefit from this, until the morons in the Montreal media want him gone......the Habs really have messed up the kids confidence this year.

Some teams mail it in............Habs love to Weal it in!!

Again some of the ridiculous double talk that the fans here love. Management gets blamed because they rushed him last year AND because he was somehow TOO sheltered as well. Try to find the logic.

Looking back though he certainly should have been sent down two months ago. But the then management would have been blamed for ruining his confidence as well.

Let's just remember that 99% of posters here were in love with him up until recently. We can afford to be patient with him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would never have expected this with how well he played last year.

Yeah I'm not lowering my expectations, that might lead me to disappointment but you don't draft KK at 3 overall to hope he becomes a 3C. We need to start seeing some production in the A.

Also he better be the #1C, 1st PP, 2nd PK.

I was talking about that last year when our fan base was treating him like our new golden boy. It was a very premature move. I'm not that worried about it but his character and confidence is going to be tested in the 18-20 range. The real Kotkaniemi will stand up from 21-23... Nothing has change from when we drafted him... he was/is a long term prospect at center

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I fully expect, despite so many calling for this, for everyone here to be furious.

But let JK find his game. The game plan appears to be to put pressure on these vets to get us back in playoff position by the TDL. If they can't do it, expect a fire sale and for the young guys to get their chance after.
Everyone here is super happy about this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Again some of the ridiculous double talk that the fans here love. Management gets blamed because they rushed him last year AND because he was somehow TOO sheltered as well. Try to find the logic.

Looking back though he certainly should have been sent down two months ago. But the then management would have been blamed for ruining his confidence as well.

Let's just remember that 99% of posters here were in love with him up until recently. We can afford to be patient with him.

Agreed. Our fan base falls for up/down short term trends too easily.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT

Go on instagram/facebook, people are not happy but they are just the same people happy with trying for the playoffs lmao

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
time to work on your acceleration and puck handling bud

he also needs to either get stronger or learn how to absorb hits (this is a positioning thing), i really dont like how he takea hits

Reactions: Habs Icing

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm shocked, I thought the door to the ahl was closed for him. Hope he stays down there for the rest of the season and maybe more.

This was no "slump", he was rushed last season.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Finally! Let the kid develop as a #1C down there

Best move we've seen from this organization in a while

robicgi

Oct 17, 2018
With Suzuki being given his own line and Domi bumped down to the 3rd line this was probably the right decision. I had no issue with KK developing in MTL on the 3rd line (would have liked more ice time/responsibility) but it seems with Domi now centering the 3rd line KK would either be the 4th line center or on the wing (which I'm glad hes not) so the AHL would be the way to go. Hope he doesn't take it as a demotion and uses this as an opportunity instead. He needs to work on several things no doubt but they all seem like things that come with age , hope to see him back next year or after the trade deadline (if they sell some vets) and hope this helps him as I still see a high ceiling for the kid. Bit off topic but I dont see the value of Domi on the 3rd line long term so not really sure what's going on there (seems CJ is developing an issue with Domi IMO).

Reactions: FLHabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drafting KK at 3rd overall set the team back years when a franchise D was on the board still

How so? From what I remember, Kotkaniemi was drafted as a long term prospect. Don't fall for short term trends. Habs were premature by inserting KK at 18 and our fan base is also premature for worrying too much or acting like experts thinking guys like Hughes, Tkachuk, ect will be better than him forever. It don't work that way.

Don't believe me? Well my message has been consistent and I didn't fall for the "he don't look out of place" narrative last year. It will take time for him to fill into that frame. Until then, lets stop falling for short term trends. Our fan base and the varying opinions can be distracting IMO. Way too much pressure on this kid IMO.

Reactions: Gravity

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Our fan base won't let him relax cause we like hockey and we have 10 million GM's in the basements looking and looking at how he is doing. I am curious to see what wingers he plays with in Laval.

Bouchard is trying to make the playoffs remember. Kotkaniemi will need to produce and he won't be able to relax with no pressure. Forget about that
Knowing Bouchard...I fully expect him to "break" Kotkaniemi before he attempts to put him back together.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Knowing Bouchard...I fully expect him to "break" Kotkaniemi before he attempts to put him back together.

Probably. Our fan base was crying to send him to Laval all season now. Now that it has happened, are they prepared for more disappointment? Probably not. Wait for it, the experts who fall for short term trends are coming. Not so sure some realize the AHL is also a physically strong league with less time and space. The only difference between NHL and AHL in a lot of cases is skill and elite level skating.

I'm not going to pretend to know how KK does with Bouchard early on. The long game is more important with me

Reactions: 417
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad