Jesperi Kotkaniemi 3 points in 11 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Lol, I’d worry more about Carey Price coming back and making Canadians just good enough to miss the playoffs and lower their favorable draft status.

JK has added size and grit to the Canes lineup and has assisted in their 10 win start.

Montreal….well, when will they get to 10 wins, February?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
The smart move would have been to swallow your injured pride and hold on to that $6M in cap space as well as the 1st and 3rd draft picks and make a competitive offer for Jack Eichel. The Canes were reported to be in the bidding for Eichel... their offer just wasn't good enough. That $6M in cap space and those two draft pics could have gone a long way towards changing that.
Imagine having Eichel in the lineup as one of your centers instead of Kotkaniemi.

The Habs could've used their and the Canes picks for Eichel bit went for Dvorak instead.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Forget his age and his draft position. None of that matters because KK can leave as a UFA if he wishes. Forget even the 6M pricetag.

Are these the stats of a player you would give up a 1st and a 3rd for as a rental? He doesn't play on the PK, has little experience and no leadership intangibles and may or may not be able to play at C.

Also, he ended his first season with 2 points in 14 games. his second season with 1 point in 12 games and his 3rd season with 1 point in 19 games so... he's not going to help much down the stretch.
Ah yea, because he struggled down the stretch from ages 18-20 then that must be how he will play for the rest of his career then, right?

Someone should tell Toronto to trade Marner/Matthews asap since they’ve proven they will never produce in the playoffs (following your logic of course).

Let’s also ignore the multiple clutch plays KK had in the playoffs

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
No they don't, all they have to do is not qualify him. No one in UFA will pay him that amount either so the Canes can still sign him to a long term deal at a lower caphit unless he wants to gamble an another 1 year contract.
So you're saying the having that benefit of being able to sign a player to a contract because no one else will want to?

How is that a positive thing?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Fainting Couch

Jun 21, 2019
How many times do we have to explain this. We -intentionally- overpaid him to steal him from the Habs. We will most likely try to extend him for a lower amount.

No we do not have to qualify him if we sign him to an extension.

Jesus F'n Christ.

We? How much say do you have in this?

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Rubi, are you sure about a late first and third holding more value than Kotka?

I just took 30 seconds to look into draft pick probabilities and I think I would have to disagree with you.
The picks have already traded for Dvorak, so you dont have to wonder what they will be. It's already a tangible player that you can compare to.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
ITT: Canes fans believing that it's no big deal to blow 6.1M of cap space on a nothing player during a cup contending year.

Anything else than winning the cup and it's a mistake, even if you end up signing him for a reasonable cap hit later.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Ah yea, because he struggled down the stretch from ages 18-20 then that must be how he will play for the rest of his career then, right?

Someone should tell Toronto to trade Marner/Matthews asap since they’ve proven they will never produce in the playoffs (following your logic of course).

Let’s also ignore the multiple clutch plays KK had in the playoffs

The rest of his career is irrelevant if all you're guaranteed is the rest of the season and he could choose become a UFA. You're the one who compared him to a deadline rental. Are those the stats and intangibles you're looking for in a deadline rental?

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
ITT: Canes fans believing that it's no big deal to blow 6.1M of cap space on a nothing player during a cup contending year.

Anything else than winning the cup and it's a mistake, even if you end up signing him for a reasonable cap hit later.

Wrong. If you sign him to a reasonable contract later and he becomes a key piece in a cup run after this year it was all worth it. Don’t know how you could say otherwise.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
This whole saga has given me a window into what it’s like to be a Habs (or Leafs) fan just trying to enjoy his team.

*posted on page 9 of a thread about a middle-6 winger’s first eleven games of the season*

Hey, sport is entertainment after all. Might as well go full-on and create some ourselves. :popcorn:

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
The Habs learned their lesson about offer sheets. They will be more hesitant in the future. The Canes are delivering justice for the league.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
This whole saga has given me a window into what it’s like to be a Habs (or Leafs) fan just trying to enjoy his team.

*posted on page 9 of a thread about a middle-6 winger’s first eleven games of the season*

you act as if the offersheet was not a big deal. it was an entertaining move, and it's only fair to follow the outcome.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
The Habs learned their lesson about offer sheets. They will be more hesitant in the future. The Canes are delivering justice for the league.

sOB9ORS.png

6881887.jpg

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012

Try being a habs fans in ontario where you'll be verbally harassed for wearing their attire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad