Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (1st round pick, 3OA 2018 - signed ELC) - Post-development camp edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I'd leave him in Finland another year. Lefebvre being gone means the AHL isn't the career death it once was, but we don't need him facing goons trying to nab an NHL job every week.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I'd want him in Laval personally...

A big fuss was made about the hiring of Joel Bouchard, well, wouldn't we want our best prospect in his hands?

The only concern I have with him being with Laval is basically bringing an 18yr old kid across the country and leaving him on his own (not sure if his family would follow him here), but this is when your organization has to provide the right kind of environment to support their player, make him stay with one of your vets (if they're willing of course).

If they're bringing him to camp, they must feel like he could be ready to make the transition...if he comes to camp and doesn't look out of place, which he shouldn't considering he's been playing vs men, then he should be in Laval. But if that's the case, he should be there all year.
As someone pointed out in the previous thread, the AHL is brutal for time spent on the road unlike the ligaa. That means it's better for him to stay in Finland to maximize his time for training.

Reactions: sandviper

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
As someone pointed out in the previous thread, the AHL is brutal for time spent on the road unlike the ligaa. That means it's better for him to stay in Finland to maximize his time for training.
That's a good point...considering he's still got some filing out to do, makes sense for him to stay in Finland just for that.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Plus the kid just turned 18. That's super young to live by yourself.
He'll be 19 next year and will have to do that...not much difference.

But I've certainly revised my opinion on that based on your other post. AHL travel truly is brutal, better for him to play less games and focus on getting stronger back home.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

But I've certainly revised my opinion on that based on your other post. AHL travel truly is brutal, better for him to play less games and focus on getting stronger back home.
He'll still have more time to prepare. Time overseas can be pretty brutal.

Reactions: 417

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'd want him in Laval personally...

A big fuss was made about the hiring of Joel Bouchard, well, wouldn't we want our best prospect in his hands?

The only concern I have with him being with Laval is basically bringing an 18yr old kid across the country and leaving him on his own (not sure if his family would follow him here), but this is when your organization has to provide the right kind of environment to support their player, make him stay with one of your vets (if they're willing of course).

If they're bringing him to camp, they must feel like he could be ready to make the transition...if he comes to camp and doesn't look out of place, which he shouldn't considering he's been playing vs men, then he should be in Laval. But if that's the case, he should be there all year.

The problem is icetime. 1C in Finland gives him 18 mins a night. In Laval he’d be behind Chaput and one of Audette or McCarron. Playing 12 mins a night won’t help him, considering the AHL and FEL are not far apart in quality.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

More time also means more time to work on his skating. All that in a familiar environment.

And, the switch to center full time will be a big adjustment already.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Difference though is now he knows he's going to Montreal and even though 18/19 may not be a huge difference maturity-wise for moving, at least he has the whole year to mentally prepare for life in Montreal.

Just to add, it's easy enough for North Americans to move around, but an 18 year old from Europe who may not have a firm grip on English, let alone French, could get some culture shock if we drop him into Laval 3-4 months after getting drafted.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
If his ACL surgery is hampering his skating still, I would think that he continues to rehab that knee in addition to doing drills with a suitable skating mechanics expert.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Im not as worried for him,going to Laval, now that Bouchard is in charge there. I think he can really furthur his development while adapting to this style of play.

I do think he would need to have a parent accompany him and stay here during that time. I also think a guy like Lehkonen can be of help to him to adapt.

I wouldnt be opposed to another year in finland but i do think he is much closer to the NHL than some here think.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Seems like the rational thing to do would be to leave him in Finland. Therefore you can bet Bergetool sends him to Laval to develop karakter and ride the bus.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Leave him in Finland. However, assuming his year there ends earlier than here, can we not bring him over to play a few games in Laval without that counting on his ELC ?

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
The problem is icetime. 1C in Finland gives him 18 mins a night. In Laval he’d be behind Chaput and one of Audette or McCarron. Playing 12 mins a night won’t help him, considering the AHL and FEL are not far apart in quality.

Who is he battling for 1C on Assat? I haven't heard anyone saying they expect him to be 1C, just a C.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kind of agree with leaving him in Finland. He won't burn his first year in his ELC and he gets to play center in a familiar situation. Let him make the trip over seas after next season. At that point, I would play him in the AHL... unless he is way to good to hold him back. Leafs could of easily played Nylander in their tank season but decided to keep him in the AHL for most of the season. I think we should plan on having Kotkaniemi start in the NHL full time as a 20 year old. His 7 years of RFA then takes him to age 26 and his last contract before age 26 likely means we have him from age 20-30+. It's smart asset management. The real value with Kotkaniemi is from age 22/23 - 30.

We should not be rushing him or forcing him to play AHL when he likely wants to play one more year with is current team. Let him develop at center in a familiar situation.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I really dont think there should be any case for him to stay over here. When you consider everything, travel, type of play in the league, language, quality of team, depth at C, prospects already in Laval, his age, the need for a skating coach, the need to get stronger and even just adjusting from living in NA to EU... theres really no case for it.

I think its also important to stagger the arrival of prospects in the AHL, this year, Vejdemo, Evans, Alain, Verbeek, Bitten, Pezzetta are all going to be AHL bound (obv, not all of them will make it.) Gotta leave some space for the boys.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes exactly. He’s not going to be a 1st C in Finland either. Bouchard is ALL about development, so if he’s in Laval, he’ll know what to do with him.

I think Bouchard is going to push the kids to be better but I think his main focus is icing a team that can win games. The focus is to create a winning culture and competitive team. I don't think it's a good idea to have Kotkaniemi make the trip over seas just yet. Let Bouchard get a handle on things in his first AHL season as coach. He has his hands full with turning around the culture with our farm team. Let him coach Kotkaniemi as a 19 year old next season.

Kotkaniemi playing center with his dad for one more year on a team he is familiar with is a good situation for him. Lets not over manage this. My plan would be one more year in the Liiga league and one year in the AHL. Then we see where he is at age 20. Makes no sense to play him in the NHL in a bottom 6 role.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
His father is his coach and he has just been drafted 3rd overall to be a center. I mean just by virtue of wishing him to eventually sign a multi-million dollar NHL contract in a few years itd be to his family advantage that he gets the best opportunities in Pori, as in playing center in the top-6 with good players and PP/PK time.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I worry he will be rushed, unless he is an outstanding camp, not just good or very good, I would let him head back to Europe or see if he will play in the AHL or junior. He needs time in the North American game. Being a late 18 year old means he will likely need more time to adjust playing with bigger, stronger men.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
i feel like the conversation is going towards that theres an ACTUAL possible chance that he plays in laval next year

even my brothers pissed he thinks people drafted 1-2-3 should be NHL ready right away... keep trying to explain to people why thats not the always the case..

people are so impatient they absolutely want jesperi on the habs or laval next year when its 99.99999999% assured he will be in Finland for AT LEAST 1 year if not more, and again, thats a GOOD thing

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
The more footage I see, the more I like this pick. His play style should translate really well to the North American ice surface. He's tenacious and physical, extremely hard to knock off of the puck and can make smart, heads-up plays in tight situations. He also has tons of tools and gives defenders a tough read.

Reactions: Redux91

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I'm really surprised and happy that despite not being a consensus pick, it seems our fans rallied around the pick. I've ba an admirer of Kotkaniemi for a while and he is almost a full year younger than the other top ranked prospects. Like I've said previously I haven't covered all the prospects as extensively as others here but Jesperi was a guy I followed closely and it seemed so obvious that his game would translate well and that he'd be a very good NHLer. However , picking him is 10% of the work and I'd be happy if he'd stay in liiga next year playing top line center minutes. Its going to be a great challenge and playing with better players usually make you better so its really exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad