Recalled/Assigned: Jesper Fast

AHB*

If we get another prospect/s of the same age, why not?

Uhh maybe because after JT we have like NO top 6 centers even remotely on the cusp.

But sure, trade away our only decent prospect at our weakest position both on the roster and in our system for another injury prone, aging former star.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Uhh maybe because after JT we have like NO top 6 centers even remotely on the cusp.

But sure, trade away our only decent prospect at our weakest position both on the roster and in our system for another injury prone, aging former star.

Lindberg is a good prospect as well. Your point still stands though.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
ing Kreiderman;83070007]Well, I would even trade Miller+Hagelin for Kesler. It's a better option than signing Stastny

Maybe that same package for Eric staal... Not kesler.... He's worth a 2nd round pick and a top 9 prospect. Maybe a top 9 Nhl player... At least to us..

Like what was already said, he does not want to play here... Sadly, pur best option this Year might just be stastny. Unless you can pry Eric staal from Carolina , or someone
Like seguin fro! Dallas... We have minimal assets to do so, so the #1c we trade for is going to have to be a tea. that's doing a slight retool... A rebuilding team is not going to want what we can feasibly offer

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

He said prospect of the same age. So why on earth are you mentioning injury prone, aging stars?

AHB*

Lindberg is a good prospect as well. Your point still stands though.

I like Lindberg a lot, but I don't project him as a top 6 guy. Maybe he can slot in here and there, but def a 3rd liner in my eyes, at best.

He said prospect of the same age. So why on earth are you mentioning injury prone, aging stars?

Maybe you should check the chain of conversation that he and I were referring to? Instead I'll summarize below to make it easy for you to follow.

1) someone proposed trading Miller & Hags for Kesler.

2) Someone responded saying that was a bad idea

3) Guy I quoted said well what if we got another prospect like Miller. Which would assume he meant either via the draft or another, separate trade. Since I highly doubt he thinks Kesler would be packaged with a top center prospect for our package offered.

4) I responded with my quote alluding to the fact that a team like us that is so weak in our center dept, specifically top end centers, cannot be mortgaging our only good center prospect, even if we pickup another one, for old, injury prone players, like KESLER. In fact, we should be trying to collect center prospects, even long-shots since we have so much trouble developing that area.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I would prefer to stay away from Kesler and see if a package of (Fast or Miller), Hagelin and Klein gets me E. Kane.

we have to stop targeting the guys that are or are near 30 years old. No, they are not old per se, but they are closer to the age at which their talents start to fade.

Kane addresses a need for a proven top line scoring LW'er with size, speed and truculence that we lack.

If we are going to move youth, then we would be better served now and in 5 years if we are going after a guy that will still be effective assuming no injuries.

we are fast moving in the same direction the pre 2005 lockout team was headed.

Older merc's signed or traded for.

Lets buck that trend. we know where that path leads.

BarbaraAlphanse

Enough of trading for high profile free agents that never produce (i.e - Kane).

We need to supplement them with depth that is young, cheap, controllable, and most importantly talented themselves. Trading our most talented assets for the future is a recipe for disaster.

As far as Fast, Miller, Hagelin, etc?

I think Miller can fit in on our 3rd line, as our center, very nicely next year. He gave him a challenge. Miller might hate his guts, but his end goal will be to prove the coach wrong, and change the light of his name.

Fast, in my opinion, is much better for this system, than Hagelin. That's not to say that there isn't a place on this team for Hagelin, but seeing as AV likes 3 balanced lines of offense, rather than 2 super lines and 2 forechecking lines... Hagelin may soon be out of a spot. I know this is an unpopular opinion here, but out of all of our players on offense this year, Hagelin has looked most out of place.

I love the guy as a player, but trying to think about this w/o emotions involved... Hagelin would seem like a smart bet on an asset that is used to return more young assets, or even a position of need.

We will have a ton of cap space available this year. Richards will be amnestied. If Miller is the 2/3c, and Brassard is the other 2/3c (a little scary), that cap space can go into acquiring a guy like Edler - someone that flourished under AV in Vancouver who will likely be on the block this summer.

Ideally, my line up next year will be as follows:

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Fast-Miller-MSL
Poo-Brassard-Zucc
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

McDonough-Girardi
Staal-Edler
Moore-McIlrath

I'd try and center a trade for Edler around Hagelin. I'd try and recoup some assets from Klein that we lost for MSL. A 2nd for Klein could work. Resign Moore and Boyle. Our 4th line has been a source of strength.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
if im the rangers...i stand pat.

way too much upheaval the past few seasons.

try to bring back the guys we have...show some consistency and contuinity.

unless E. Kane can be had cheap, which is highly unlikely. im not looking to change much up.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
4) I responded with my quote alluding to the fact that a team like us that is so weak in our center dept, specifically top end centers, cannot be mortgaging our only good center prospect, even if we pickup another one, for old, injury prone players, like KESLER. In fact, we should be trying to collect center prospects, even long-shots since we have so much trouble developing that area.

You often post in a confusing, over reactionary way so it was easy to assume you were simply not making sense again. See the bolded part of # 4. That's a good example.

We cannot mortgage our only good center prospect even if we get another one in the deal? You then compound the confusion by adding "for old, injury prone players like Kesler" (in all caps for some reason). If we got Kesler and a valuable center prospect than it means we should have no problem swapping our C prospect in the deal

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The only players who can have their ELC slide are 18 and 19 year olds. That's it. Their ELCs only slide if they play less than 10 games in the NHL in a given year. Anyone else, it doesn't matter how many games they play or where they play them. A year will burn off their ELC if they are 20 or older when the season starts.

Fast is 22. He signed his ELC at age 20. He burned a year playing in Sweden. He's burning another year this year in the AHL. He has one year remaining.

Thanks to you and et al for the insight.
Will try to remember the ELC panic button is at the teenagers.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
I post in a confusing manner.. Haha. Still upset about that Vick conversation I see.

You didn't follow the simple manner that the posts were stated in and clearly can't follow the simple layout and summary of those posts either.

Do me a favor, go back, re-read the posts and my corresponding responses and you'll see that what I said made perfect sense. The reason I know this, multiple people quoted my post agreeing with it and clearly understanding my point(s).

I love how you say I "compounded the confusion" also by saying I don't want an aging, injury prone player in Kesler for young prospects. What's confusing about that? That Kesler is aging? That his play has factually declined? That he's been quite injury prone over the past couples of years? What part are you confused by?

Let me clarify if in as simple a way as possible. I don't believe, we should be trading Miller, even if we get another C prospect in our system equal or better then him, for aging veterans who are injury prone. We have very little top end center depth both on the Rangers and in our system. We need as many of these potential players as possible.

Maybe the words I use are too big.

I forgot you were even in the Vick discussion. Fact that you brought it up first and foremost was telling.

Judging by your translation of what I said (which is incorrect and again confusing) I feel validated.

Just read the bold for more on this

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Why not, when we can have an all-star team from the early 2000's?

All 3 players you're referring to were very good when we signed them and not past their prime. Only questionable one was Richards. Nash was 28 and MSL was a PPG player this year mostly without Stamkos.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't understand why everyone wants to move guys as soon as they show promise or some sort of good play

So that if they go MDZ they can get all high and mighty and be all "I told you so, I told you we should get rid of him before his value plummeted." Makes them look cutting edge. If they're wrong they'll either double up like with seen with Zucc or just be quiet and no one will remember it was them anyway.

AHB*

All 3 players you're referring to were very good when we signed them and not past their prime. Only questionable one was Richards. Nash was 28 and MSL was a PPG player this year mostly without Stamkos.

MSL is 38. I don't care if he's at a 100 point clip, you don't trade assets for a guy who is that old, unless you are Boston, San Jose, etc.

I'll eat crow if they win the cup with him.

Nash was fine. Kesler would not be. Richards was not and even more so after the new CBA imposed the recapture penalties.

So that if they go MDZ they can get all high and mighty and be all "I told you so, I told you we should get rid of him before his value plummeted." Makes them look cutting edge. If they're wrong they'll either double up like with seen with Zucc or just be quiet and no one will remember it was them anyway.

It's one thing to trade a young player for another, relatively young, cheap, serviceable player. It's another to trade multiple young pieces for aging vets or signing them to ludicrous contracts.

We've seen this occur over & over & over & over for the past two decades, how well has it worked out for us?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad