Recalled/Assigned: Jesper Fast

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm not sure I understand. The kid is making an incredibly low salary and looks to be either on the cusp, or ready for NHL duty as a 3rd liner. He PK's, he doesn't shy away from contact, he has a very high hockey IQ and feel for the game and he likes to play a style that seems to fit the way the Rangers play currently (puck possession). Why trade him?

Who is he displacing?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Who is he displacing?

If you want to trade someone, make it a package with Miller and Hagelin to get a guy like Kesler for instance. Fasth can replace Hagelin.

You'd have a line-up with a top9 that looks like this:

Kreider-Kesler-Nash
Fasth-Stepan-St. Louis
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello

Under AV there is no clear 1st, 2nd or 3rd line. The line that performs best plays the most minutes. The Brassard line is our most consistent. Stepan and St. Louis work together quite well and Kesler would be a great improvement from Richards.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
If you want to trade someone, make it a package with Miller and Hagelin to get a guy like Kesler for instance. Fasth can replace Hagelin.

You'd have a line-up with a top9 that looks like this:

Kreider-Kesler-Nash
Fasth-Stepan-St. Louis
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello

Under AV there is no clear 1st, 2nd or 3rd line. The line that performs best plays the most minutes. The Brassard line is our most consistent. Stepan and St. Louis work together quite well and Kesler would be a great improvement from Richards.

Better still, keep Miller, and move Fast and Hagelin for a top 6 winger.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Better still, keep Miller, and move Fast and Hagelin for a top 6 winger.

I'd prefer to keep Fasth, who is a cheap top9 option and is NHL ready. How long will it take for Miller to be NHL-ready? On top of that, we have Lindberg in the system as well who is developing. If you want a top center, I feel you need to include Miller, a 1st round pick in 2011, to get a deal done.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Who is he displacing?

Up front, we have the following under our control for next season if we wish:

Nash
St. Louis
Brassard
Stepan
Hagelin
Kreider
Dorsett
Zuccarello

Boyle, Pouliot and Carcillo are UFA, and Richards is a likely buyout candidate. That leaves us with eight forwards. Miller, Kristo, Fast and Lindberg will have opportunities. I'm sure we'll add through trades and free agency, but the young guys don't necessarily have to displace anyone to make next year's team.

If we tendered a contract to all of our RFAs and kept Richards (both unlikely), we only have 41 contracts. You bring back Boyle and Pouliot, you're still only to 43. Graves and Duclair could slide and drop it back down to 41. Missiaen, Stajcer, Wilson and Beach probably don't receive a QO. Bourque, maybe. There are tons of spots available, and we'd be wise to hold onto young, cheap assets.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'd prefer to keep Fasth, who is a cheap top9 option and is NHL ready. How long will it take for Miller to be NHL-ready? On top of that, we have Lindberg in the system as well who is developing. If you want a top center, I feel you need to include Miller, a 1st round pick in 2011, to get a deal done.

Fast has yet to register a point, and somehow he's more NHL ready than Miller, a more talented player, with skills and attributes this organization isn't exactly teeming with.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Fast has yet to register a point, and somehow he's more NHL ready than Miller, a more talented player, with skills and attributes this organization isn't exactly teeming with.

Fasth is better physically, defensively and, unlike Miller, doesn't look out of place in the games he played for the Rangers.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Nash
St. Louis
Brassard
Stepan
Hagelin
Kreider
Dorsett
Zuccarello

Boyle, Pouliot and Carcillo are UFA, and Richards is a likely buyout candidate. That leaves us with eight forwards. Miller, Kristo, Fast and Lindberg will have opportunities. I'm sure we'll add through trades and free agency, but the young guys don't necessarily have to displace anyone to make next year's team.

If we tendered a contract to all of our RFAs and kept Richards (both unlikely), we only have 41 contracts. You bring back Boyle and Pouliot, you're still only to 43. Graves and Duclair could slide and drop it back down to 41. Missiaen, Stajcer, Wilson and Beach probably don't receive a QO. Bourque, maybe. There are tons of spots available, and we'd be wise to hold onto young, cheap assets.

Sorry, but,if a team wants Fast in a deal for a quality top 6 forward, IMO, he doesn't hold up the deal, just to keep cheap assets.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

How many points does Miller have? He's played a decent amount more games and doesn't have that many points. Fast played all but one game when the Rangers were one of the worst teams in the league.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Fasth is better physically, defensively and, unlike Miller, doesn't look out of place in the games he played for the Rangers.

that's the only reason he looks better than miller... He's naturally better, simply. No other way to describe it.

I would do Miller for Kesler if Miller remains the way he is 1 year from now. Right now, it doesn't make sense to do so, unless VAN is willing to drop Kesler ASAP since new management is coming in

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Sorry, but,if a team wants Fast in a deal for a quality top 6 forward, IMO, he doesn't hold up the deal, just to keep cheap assets.

Oh sure, I'm not saying he's close to untouchable or should be a deal-breaker. Nothing like that. My point is basically this--we're going to go into next season with Nash, St. Louis, Lundqvist, Girardi, McDonagh and Staal accounting for about $37M on the cap. Whoever we bring in to replace Richards is going to be another $6M+. We'll have over 60% of the payroll tied up in less than 30% of a roster. Unless we're trading the younger guys for relatively cheap top six options, it would be wise to hold onto them. We don't want to become too top-heavy.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
that's the only reason he looks better than miller... He's naturally better, simply. No other way to describe it.

I would do Miller for Kesler if Miller remains the way he is 1 year from now. Right now, it doesn't make sense to do so, unless VAN is willing to drop Kesler ASAP since new management is coming in

Well, I would even trade Miller+Hagelin for Kesler. It's a better option than signing Stastny

Wolfy*

Fast looks much better to me than JT Miller.

Funny really. They are about the same age? Miller still behaves like a teenager, while Fast looks like a grown-up. I guess that's how nature is..

AHB*

If we trade for Kesler, let alone package Hagelin and Miller for him, I will flip my lid.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Hmmm, let's see where the fans are with Jesper in about three weeks...

He has less than 10 NHL games I think.

And no playoff experience. I'm hoping he can do something to stick.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Fast looked good last night. A little shaky defensively in the 1st but he settled in. Wouldve preferred him to shoot first a couple times but he was good offensively.

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
Is everyone forgetting that Kesler flat out refused a trade to the Rangers?

Him and AV did not get along and he doesn't want to play for him again.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Fast looks much better to me than JT Miller.

Funny really. They are about the same age? Miller still behaves like a teenager, while Fast looks like a grown-up. I guess that's how nature is..

Because Fast played in the Swedish elite league with men where he wasn't the signing star everyday of his life unlike Miller who has always been one of the most important if not the most important people to his team... Fast was a pro when he came over but had to get used to the North American ice, miller was a prospect when he came in. The difference is in attitude

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I'm not sure I understand. The kid is making an incredibly low salary and looks to be either on the cusp, or ready for NHL duty as a 3rd liner. He PK's, he doesn't shy away from contact, he has a very high hockey IQ and feel for the game and he likes to play a style that seems to fit the way the Rangers play currently (puck possession). Why trade him?

Why not? Trade everyone.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Nash
St. Louis
Brassard
Stepan
Hagelin
Kreider
Dorsett
Zuccarello

Dom Moore is also a UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad