Jersey Tossing

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Mr. Stauffer called this guy a tool about 30 times on his show, kinda pissed me off to be honest. He even suggested the league do something about jersey tossers. This fan is trying to send a message, he bought his jersey and his ticket.

Stauffer also added that radio call-in shows and fan forums provide the paying public with enough of an opportunity (beyond booing at Rexall) to voice their displeasure with the Oil.

Now that it's been done a few times here, I see the jersey tossing as unoriginal and a little played out. But, as I said in a text to Stauffer's show that was not read on-air, it causes no real physical harm and seems to do a far more effective job of getting the Oiler organization's attention than the call-in shows and forums Bob was talking about.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
somone should order a jersey with the words failed experiment on it and throw it so it lands on eakins head

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I think a "Fire Eakins" chant could be effective, but it couldn't be like in Toronto late in a game, it would have to be from the time the anthem is done. 10 minutes of "Fire Eakins" to start the game

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
So what's the over/under on jersey tossing happening tonight? We should get the guys at the vbookie forum to post odds.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think the ante has to be upped for the toss to make a statement again. If at least 10 Jerseys hit the ice Monday night, you know that will make all the headlines. I'm talking about a mass jersey tossing!

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Stauffer also added that radio call-in shows and fan forums provide the paying public with enough of an opportunity (beyond booing at Rexall) to voice their displeasure with the Oil.

Now that it's been done a few times here, I see the jersey tossing as unoriginal and a little played out. But, as I said in a text to Stauffer's show that was not read on-air, it causes no real physical harm and seems to do a far more effective job of getting the Oiler organization's attention than the call-in shows and forums Bob was talking about.

:handclap:

You know it gets under their skin when Stauffer gives it so much attention.

dobiezeke*

:handclap:

You know it gets under their skin when Stauffer gives it so much attention.

I tried to throw my Stauffer jersey on the ice but for some reason it ended up in the complimentary media buffet...amazing.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
jersey tosses are a fantastic statement. people like to make them out to be like flag burning or something.

Someone should make a jersey burning video. Maybe effigies of Katz, Lowe, Eakins and MacTavish (KLEM) too.

Gambl0r83*

I think the ante has to be upped for the toss to make a statement again. If at least 10 Jerseys hit the ice Monday night, you know that will make all the headlines. I'm talking about a mass jersey tossing!

Pathetic :shakehead

dobiezeke*

Its nowhere near that. I have no problem with the jersey tossers. I wouldnt do it because mine has "Messier" on the back

You are right - the guy wearing the "Jones" jersey should have been front row heaving that thing on the ice on Friday!

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
And those are reasonable responses. Walk out of the game. Come on hfoil and "give a bad review". You won't ever see me complaining about either of those responses. Throwing a jersey is the equivalent of tossing a tomato at the movie screen. Irritates everyone around you, and accomplishes nothing.

Actually, your comparison is extremely flawed and biased towards the point you're trying to make...the equivalent of a live sporting event would be a live theatre event, not a pre-recorded one.

There are many instances of people throwing garbage on the stages because of a bad concert performance or bad live art or theatre shows

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Actually, your comparison is extremely flawed and biased towards the point you're trying to make...the equivalent of a live sporting event would be a live theatre event, not a pre-recorded one.

There are many instances of people throwing garbage on the stages because of a bad concert performance or bad live art or theatre shows

To me that's still immature and no way to act in public. Actually it's a bit worse in my eyes if someone chucks a beer or something of the sort at a bad concert and there's no question that person would be reprimanded by security. There are more effective and mature ways of protesting.

dobiezeke*

To me that's still immature and no way to act in public. Actually it's a bit worse in my eyes if someone chucks a beer or something of the sort at a bad concert and there's no question that person would be reprimanded by security. There are more effective and mature ways of protesting.

Based on the response by the Oiler media/management I would say it has been effective. Right or wrong.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Based on the response by the Oiler media/management I would say it has been effective. Right or wrong.

Well it really was only the first time that received attention. If jerseys get thrown every game then it kind of loses its message and becomes just another thing thrown on the ice IMO.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

I agree it is immature...but if you pay money to go see an event you expect everyone involved to give their full efforts, whether it results in a win or loss. If they can disrespect you, why can't you by throwing your jersey? Is it just a one-way street where the Oilers can treat their fans like **** for almost a decade but the fans just have to sit there and take it while filling up their house so they can continue to give halfass performances?

Those 'mature' ways of protesting haven't done anything in the past few years and they won't in the next few years.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I agree it is immature...but if you pay money to go see an event you expect everyone involved to give their full efforts, whether it results in a win or loss. If they can disrespect you, why can't you by throwing your jersey? Is it just a one-way street where the Oilers can treat their fans like **** for almost a decade but the fans just have to sit there and take it while filling up their house so they can continue to give halfass performances?

Those 'mature' ways of protesting haven't done anything in the past few years and they won't in the next few years.

Eh. When you get tickets to a game, you are not guaranteed anything but to see the two teams play a game. That's a risk you take with going to live performances/sporting events...you may get a good game or a horrible one (though as of late the latter has a higher probability of happening). Nobody forces the fans to get tickets and watch.... as many have already said, a better message would be sent to not go and have a visible amount of empty seats. I'm sure the jerseys are donated to a good cause though, so I guess if some must, nothing's stopping them..

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Eh. When you get tickets to a game, you are not guaranteed anything but to see the two teams play a game. That's a risk you take with going to live performances/sporting events...you may get a good game or a horrible one (though as of late the latter has a higher probability of happening). Nobody forces the fans to get tickets and watch.... as many have already said, a better message would be sent to not go and have a visible amount of empty seats. I'm sure the jerseys are donated to a good cause though, so I guess if some must, nothing's stopping them..

I agree with that to an extent, but when a player is signed to a contract or an artist agrees to come to a venue I think to a certain degree there is kind of an unwritten rule that implies the performer won't simply show up but they will also put on a good show, whether it results in a win or not...I realize you're only guaranteed to seeing two teams play a game when you purchase a ticket, but I think all fans also realize the management and the signed players signed a contract that requires the plays to do more than just 'play'.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you don't guarantee an acceptable amount of effort then you're not guaranteed acceptable fan support. The contract doesn't just require you to come to the ice.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

A risk? The current chance of enjoying an Oilers home game and win is miniscule in the Eakins era.

In 43 home tilts at Rexall the Oilers have only won 11 games in regulation time. They have added another 5OTW's either in OT or shootout which most purists consider phoney NHL 3pt game W's. The OTW's feel pretty equivalent to ties except you get to see 5 more minutes of questionable oilers play and some randomly odd shootout selections. The whole time thinking you're losing sleep for this..;)

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I agree with that to an extent, but when a player is signed to a contract or an artist agrees to come to a venue I think to a certain degree there is kind of an unwritten rule that implies the performer won't simply show up but they will also put on a good show, whether it results in a win or not...I realize you're only guaranteed to seeing two teams play a game when you purchase a ticket, but I think all fans also realize the management and the signed players signed a contract that requires the plays to do more than just 'play'.

Basically what I'm saying is, if you don't guarantee an acceptable amount of effort then you're not guaranteed acceptable fan support. The contract doesn't just require you to come to the ice.

I see what you're saying. I think you're right and it does work two ways. If the person singing the national anthem screwed up the lyrics and said "Oh America, our home and native land", I betcha there's mass booing and beer tossing, at the least. There definitely is a minimum performance expectation in all forms of entertainment.

Likewise, there is a standard of spectating behavior. Its funny because hockey was once the sport where fans got beat by hockey players with their own shoe, but now its on par with all of society's norms and standards. Just as everyone was upset when a person threw a banana during a Simmonds shoot-out, or when Vanouver was upset when someone was shootng a laser pointer in Kiprusoff's eyes, there is code of behavior.

However, what do people expect from the fanatical? The same people who show up with their face painted and body coloured - all while wearing theatrical giant hands and beer helmets - are subject to equivalent negative emotions when dissatisfied with their entertainment. You cannot encourage one type of extreme fan and not expect the other.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I see what you're saying. I think you're right and it does work two ways. If the person singing the national anthem screwed up the lyrics and said "Oh America, our home and native land", I betcha there's mass booing and beer tossing, at the least. There definitely is a minimum performance expectation in all forms of entertainment.

Likewise, there is a standard of spectating behavior. Its funny because hockey was once the sport where fans got beat by hockey players with their own shoe, but now its on par with all of society's norms and standards. Just as everyone was upset when a person threw a banana during a Simmonds shoot-out, or when Vanouver was upset when someone was shootng a laser pointer in Kiprusoff's eyes, there is code of behavior.

However, what do people expect from the fanatical? The same people who show up with their face painted and body coloured - all while wearing theatrical giant hands and beer helmets - are subject to equivalent negative emotions when dissatisfied with their entertainment. You cannot encourage one type of extreme fan and not expect the other.

Well said...players and fans need to meet halfway, if they don't then it'll negative tension. Both fans and players need to give to get, the fans have been giving the team their loyalty for the past 10 years and haven't gotten anything in return yet.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Well said...players and fans need to meet halfway, if they don't then it'll negative tension. Both fans and players need to give to get, the fans have been giving the team their loyalty for the past 10 years and haven't gotten anything in return yet.

Yeah, I can't figure it out to be honest. I remember partying on Whyte Ave during the months of May and June of 2006 and I saw how fanatical Oilers fans are during the positives, but to see how little negative fanatical behavior has been displayed during the past few years, its' kind of surprising. Almost apathetic, really.

So people are throwing their jersey, some guy starts a facebook page, and another buys a billboard. Couple of guys every now and then bring in paperbags or slandering posters. But when its Eastern Conference finals people are burning pallets on the street and throwing bottles at riot police?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad