Jersey and overall branding thread P1

Should we enter a new era of jersey/branding scheme?

• I simply do not care about jerseys/branding and I hate peen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Exactly! Was going to say the same thing. Simple is good. Simple is classic. Simple is timeless.
When there is success associated with them, simple is fine.

GB Packers, nothing interesting about that logo, but they've won
SF 49ers, same, just the letters of the city, but again they've won.

Stick/Rink, Skate, Orca. 3 logos. No consistency to it.
Kings, not any better with the yellow grown, the chevy logo with Wayne, the Shield logo when they went black/purple, to the current baseball diamond logo. But, at least for LA, there's always been a crown on each of the 4 logos.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
They’ve had 3 logos and 3 different color sets.

Didn’t nail it ever.

Aside from maybe the indigenous community not wanting indigenous inspired logos anymore I don’t see them changing logos.
This isnt the case at all. We dont want logos that appropriate Indigenous culture or are racist caricatures. The Canucks current logo appropriates Northwest Coast Indigenous design with the trigon on the dorsal fin and the mouth of the Orca, but its done very poorly by someone who simply doesn’t understand the grammar of the art form.

If the Canucks collaborated with Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-waututh to do a Coast Salish logo done by a Coast Salish artist it would be amazing. Chase Gray’s Indigenous night logo from last year was awesome, and he even developed a colour palette similar to the Flying Skate that used traditional Musqueam colours and talked about how they were significant. I cant believe more hasnt been done with that.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
This isnt the case at all. We dont want logos that appropriate Indigenous culture or are racist caricatures. The Canucks current logo appropriates Northwest Coast Indigenous design with the trigon on the dorsal fin and the mouth of the Orca, but its done very poorly by someone who simply doesn’t understand the grammar of the art form.

If the Canucks collaborated with Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-waututh to do a Coast Salish logo done by a Coast Salish artist it would be amazing. Chase Gray’s Indigenous night logo from last year was awesome, and he even developed a colour palette similar to the Flying Skate that used traditional Musqueam colours and talked about how they were significant. I cant believe more hasnt been done with that.

That logo was awesome and as soon as I saw it I wondered if there was a way to do put that logo on the flying skate jersey / those colours integrated.

Reactions: Hansen

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
loving the flying skate black/yellow/red jerseys they're wearing right now. Vintage with a modern update.

Put the 'V' back on the shoulders or at least on the shorts (like the 80s version) and these are complete.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't think we should go to anything new. We've had too many primary looks in our franchise's history.

The only two things I would do are either 1) Stay as they are while continuing to have retro nights (I would open that up to all their old looks), or 2) Go back to one of their previous looks - either the Skate or the Stick in Rink would be acceptable as a full time primary.

And to @Bgav's question - I think it might be something they are considering given its popularity, and that the merchandise is a hot seller.

Reactions: Dunbatron and Bgav

kylek023

Oct 22, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
can't imagine this being anything but a nostalgic cashgrab. Same thing with the stick-in-rink during the 00s-10s, the flying skate will be prominently used but will never be fully adopted.

Reactions: Love

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
can't imagine this being anything but a nostalgic cashgrab. Same thing with the stick-in-rink during the 00s-10s, the flying skate will be prominently used but will never be fully adopted.
Yeah, soon as they adopt it full-time the nostalgia goggles will evaporate. And everyone will realize it is actually ugly.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria

Just for anyone that doesnt remember or is curious

vancouver-canucks-warm-up-jersey.jpg

Just for anyone that doesnt remember or is curious

vancouver-canucks-warm-up-jersey.jpg
Ffs this site

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Please go back to the Skate full time, one of the best jerseys of all time. Would love seeing the white one too
To me, it seems like people like something new. I grew up with the skate uniform being
The main one. My main issue with it was always that it seemed dark back when they wore the darks on the road in places like LA Forum and Joe Louis which had dimmed lighting.
Without any white in the jersey for the stripes or numbers it make the jersey dark. Didn’t have the contrast when compared to the Pens and Bruins that were black and Yello but had a couple of white stripes and used white to outline the yellow numbers.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
If they do the skate jersey full time TD Bank can’t be a sponsor. Or at least they can’t have their green colour on it. Ruins the whole look for me.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i think the canucks current branding is bland and boring but it's not ugly and embarrassing like the flying skate. the logo sucks and the colors are gross. the white unis look okay i guess but the dark ones look like some kind of mall goth/mcdonalds mashup

if they're gonna make a change i hope it's a drastic one that doesn't just recycle one of the past failures

• Haha
Reactions: andora

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018

This honestly seems like such an easy win for the franchise. And then at least the logo would feel like it has a connection to Vancouver

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
they're doing the exact same thing they did a decade ago. Slowly transitioning into the next look.

They started wearing the blue/green stick in rink sweaters in around 2006/2007 as their third jerseys and then went full-time into that color scheme, and eventually using that stick in rink logo often.

The same thing is happening now. They're slowly transitioning back into the skate logo and black/red/yellow color scheme again by wearing the sweater on occassional nights. Eventually, if not by next year then soon after, they'll be back into their 80s look and color palette.

I can't see this team ever designing a brand new look. At best they'll just mix up all of their old colors and logos to come up with something familiar but not entirely different.

They're not the only team who changed their look entirely over the years. The Kings, Sabres, Capitals just to name a few have totally overhauled their identities in the past. So it's not like Vancouver is the only team to have this identity crisis lol.

Still waiting on the yellow jerseys with the flying V!!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
they're doing the exact same thing they did a decade ago. Slowly transitioning into the next look.

They started wearing the blue/green stick in rink sweaters in around 2006/2007 as their third jerseys and then went full-time into that color scheme, and eventually using that stick in rink logo often.

The same thing is happening now. They're slowly transitioning back into the skate logo and black/red/yellow color scheme again by wearing the sweater on occassional nights. Eventually, if not by next year then soon after, they'll be back into their 80s look and color palette.

I can't see this team ever designing a brand new look. At best they'll just mix up all of their old colors and logos to come up with something familiar but not entirely different.

They're not the only team who changed their look entirely over the years. The Kings, Sabres, Capitals just to name a few have totally overhauled their identities in the past. So it's not like Vancouver is the only team to have this identity crisis lol.

Still waiting on the yellow jerseys with the flying V!!
LA and Buffalo had a theme in their logo with the crown and Buffalo. Caps was just a word then went to the screaming Eagle then used the Capital building on their black ones that they used full time then back or the wordmark with that W Eagle on the shoulder. Main concept from Wash was something to do with the capital of USA be it the word mark, eagle or capital building.

Canucks between rink, skate and orca nothing really ties them together.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think the Flying Skate is a laughable abomination and by far the worst thing we've had, personally. Worse than the Buffaslug. Its only merit is nostalgia, and it looks like it was designed by a pre-teen in the 90s desperately trying and failing to make something that looked "cool".

Stick and Rink I think nailed the color scheme-- I think that should remain permanent. They can update the logo or use alternative logos with that scheme if we want, or come up with a newer better one, either option's fine with me.

A part of me loves how well that logo works on a jersey despite its blandness in isolation though. The fact that it's so borderline offensively bare-bones and non-stylized that it becomes a talking point, yet it surprisingly works is actually something that I find endearing about it.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Please go back to the Skate full time, one of the best jerseys of all time. Would love seeing the white one too

They were talking about it on Sekeres and Price I think, and were saying the only jersey where the Canucks go into other markets and get comments on the awesomeness of the team gear is the '94 jersey.

I am of vintage to be biased, but it's the only Canucks swag I buy. Please do go back to it. That matte black helmets are a nice, more modern touch as well.

They were also saying the players love the gear, but the owner is a "blue and green" guy.

Personally, I'd retire the orca and go '94 primary and vintage stick-and-rink seconds.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
They’re wearing the skate jersey so much now I’m actually wondering if they’re going this route now. It feels like every home game now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad