News Article: Jeremy White's rant

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Who is Jeremy White and why would anyone care what his opinion is?

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Now Eichel reportedly wont sign an extension unless Bylsma is fired. That team is in shambles

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If I were a Sabres fan I'd be so upset at how badly the rebuild has gone and how a second year player is dictating terms to the organization. Hate Bylsma or not, bonuses or not, it's insane.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
But ppl would rather rebuild their team around Eichel than Matthews on the main board :laugh:

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Now Eichel reportedly wont sign an extension unless Bylsma is fired. That team is in shambles
I don't want to say Eichel is a mess but the whole Buffalo situation definitely is at the moment whether or not this is true

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
That's just Leafs hate. If roles were reversed, people would want to build around Matthews.

I do not think it's fair to say "Leaf hate" since most of us do not give a crap about Buffalo. Hard to deny there is a circus there right now but how much of the blame falls on Eichel is unclear. Most of this stuff has been blown out of proportion.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Tim Murray and Bylsma fired lol, buffalo is imploding

From Associated Press:
The Buffalo Sabres fired general manager Tim Murray and coach Dan Bylsma after the team missed the playoffs for a sixth straight year.
Last week, Murray had backed Bylsma returning for a third season as Sabres coach. Murray, however, noted that the ultimate decision on Bylsma and his own future rested with owner Terry Pegula.
Murray's rebuilding plan took a step back this season. With a 33-37-12 record, the Sabres finished last in the Atlantic Division standings with two fewer wins than the previous year.There had been rumblings that star Jack Eichel may not want to sign long term with Buffalo because of the losing.
On Wednesday, he denied trying to force out Bylsma.
Eichel, 20, is Buffalo's franchise player after being selected with the No. 2 pick in the 2015 draft, one spot behind Edmonton's Connor McDavid.
Eichel has one year left on his entry-level contract. Under NHL rules, the two sides can begin negotiating an extension starting on July 1.

Wow. That didn't take long to happen after the rumour about Eichel wanting Bylsma out . . . I'm sure that rumour was totally baseless . . . :sarcasm:

Hey - Leafs fans should take any organisation writing about how jealous they are of us as an emormous compliment, and a way of saying to our team, "You're on the right path, well done!"

:handclap:

Because that's what it is.

No one is envious of losers.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I think you have to add Edmonton to the annoying little brother club.

The Western Cities are all irrationally hostile to Toronto the city. This is a historical thing stemming from our traditional political and economic dominance. Elections are decided before they are done voting so they have always felt marginalized and overlooked which has lead to numerous political movements like the Reform party and the Social Credit. Toronto is the biggest city in the Country and Ontario the largest and historically the richest province. The Oil boom out west did not last long enough for them to gain any political ground on the country. So you have a culture of resentment before sports ever entered the conversation.

Now when we move on to Hockey we have the largest market, the richest team, we dominate national media coverage and we have a fan base larger than all of them combined. We invade their home games when we come to their town because there are Leaf fans in good number all across both countries (but Canada in particular) so there is always a presence.

Buffalo actually suffers more from Leaf fan invasions because it's so close and we are always plotting of ways to steal their football team. The last try in particular seems to have touched a nerve. They already have enough problems with being overshadowed due to their proximity to New York City. How do they feel when there are more Leaf fans than Sabres fans at their home games?

Now add to all this the HF element.

I would guess we make up 40%+ of the fans here. So we have about 10 times more idiots than any other fan base and people who lack self control. We dominate any thread that interests us, many of our fans over rate everything to do with the Leafs and cannot pass up a chance to boast.

Even now we have fans saying we have all but beat Washington and Matthews is better than McDavid, things that would not be well received coming from any team let alone us.

Kapanen scores and we have a thread about if our 4rth line is the best.

Someone is rumoured to be on the trade market and we flood the proposal threads with stupid offers.

Often the valuations of our players that are presented to outsiders are foolish and delusional and we have a history of overvaluing our prospects.

Now these things in and of themselves are harmless but add them all up and add the sheer volume and it can often be overwhelming and outright annoying to other fans.

In our defense we have had pretty good valuations on our trade deadline returns the last few years and our rookies have all lived up to the hype. We won the lottery and got St Matthews who exceeded the insane expectations we gave him. Heck our team even did way better than most of us thought it would sneaking into the playoffs when the experts said we would be fighting for last. Now we are making the Caps nervous.

Our rivals loved us being down and out because we were easy to kick around, but when we look at our list of annoying little brothers a lot of them are having tough times while we are having the miracle year. Vancouver, Winnipeg and Buffalo are in the outside looking in while we wonder if we'll get to the 2nd round and how much better our kids will be next year.

Auston alone with his 4 goal first game, 40 goal season and Calder trophy(probably) is the last thing you want to see happen to us on a youth obsessed forum like this, not to mention Marner, Nylander, Zaitsev, Brown (who they all told us was garbage) and now Kapanen.

We are enjoying a perfect storm and that is very frustrating to the people who desperately only want bad things to happen to us because that is the source of their happiness. It's hard to feel bad for them but it would be nice if some of our fans could be more diplomatic, less prone to "tell us how great we are" threads and were a little less cocky. At this point though, it is hard to feel sorry for them.

Nothing is more frustrating than when someone you hate or find very annoying seems to get every break which is the wave we are riding right now.

On a side note I think that radio guy is involved in the Matthews vs Eichel thread :P

Fantastic post, everything you said here is 100% true. The inferiority complex is annoying but some of our more obnoxious members make it worse.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Fantastic post, everything you said here is 100% true. The inferiority complex is annoying but some of our more obnoxious members make it worse.

When you talk about obnoxious leaf fans, I would include people who put down the behavior of other leaf fans so they can seem like they are somehow superior. Leaf nation is diverse group and if some of us want to respond to years of futility by sticking it in people's faces then they've earned the right to do it without taking grief from pretentious snobs. When the leafs win an exhibition game I'll let anybody and everybody know that it's clearly the first step to our next cup, and as a survivor of the Ballard years I've earned that right. Yes, lots of teams are burnt because they can't make fun of us anymore and that's their problem to deal with, not ours. In your face Buffalo, deal with it because we already did for 50 years.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs fans don't really worry what Sabres fans think. It's a pretty pathetic franchise, Just been terribly managed for years....much like the Leafs. Appreciate Sabre fans that actually attend their home games, but when the Leafs are in town 40% are Leafs fan.

Well at least Buffalo has the Bills....gee they have been terribly managed for years (oh for some reason I'm a Bills fan.)

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
From Associated Press:

Wow. That didn't take long to happen after the rumour about Eichel wanting Bylsma out . . . I'm sure that rumour was totally baseless . . . :sarcasm:

Hey - Leafs fans should take any organisation writing about how jealous they are of us as an emormous compliment, and a way of saying to our team, "You're on the right path, well done!"

:handclap:

Because that's what it is.

No one is envious of losers.

Normally I'd say that ownership probably knew they were doing this months back...but with Pegula? he's a terrible owner and I wouldn't be surprised if this was done purely on impulse. Like Wang with the Isles years ago.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I think he's just upset that he has to live in that ****hole and loves the Sabres who've never won a thing.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Normally I'd say that ownership probably knew they were doing this months back...but with Pegula? he's a terrible owner and I wouldn't be surprised if this was done purely on impulse. Like Wang with the Isles years ago.

I'm never going to label him as "terrible" per se . . . he's a real fan, puts his money where his mouth is, and he supports his home team. Nothing to dislike there at all, in fact, I respect that.

But has he made some foolish moves, and had his hands all over many of the mistakes? Absolutely.

If I was a billionaire owner, I'd be hard-pressed to act otherwise, honestly . . . I don't fault him for being human. So yeah.

So what I'm saying is . . . yeah. This was Pegula's call, clearly. How impulsive it was is anyone's guess.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm never going to label him as "terrible" per se . . . he's a real fan, puts his money where his mouth is, and he supports his home team. Nothing to dislike there at all, in fact, I respect that.

But has he made some foolish moves, and had his hands all over many of the mistakes? Absolutely.

If I was a billionaire owner, I'd be hard-pressed to act otherwise, honestly . . . I don't fault him for being human. So yeah.

So what I'm saying is . . . yeah. This was Pegula's call, clearly. How impulsive it was is anyone's guess.
He doesn't know what he's doing. He tries to make big splash moves and they back fire. Why did he take 10 days to meet with Murray when the coaching carousel was already moving? To scout QB's? Who the hell thinks micromanaging an NFL team like that is a good idea? Paul Allen and Robert Kraft don't go on scouting trips. Guys like Jones and Snyder do, and that's why Jones hasn't won anything since he fired Jimmy Johnson (or at least the roster Johnson built) over ego.

Tim Murray should have been fired a week ago if this was the move, same with Bylsma.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He doesn't know what he's doing. He tries to make big splash moves and they back fire. Why did he take 10 days to meet with Murray when the coaching carousel was already moving? To scout QB's? Who the hell thinks micromanaging an NFL team like that is a good idea? Paul Allen and Robert Kraft don't go on scouting trips. Guys like Jones and Snyder do, and that's why Jones hasn't won anything since he fired Jimmy Johnson (or at least the roster Johnson built) over ego.

Tim Murray should have been fired a week ago if this was the move, same with Bylsma.

He really has no clue what he's doing which is why I called him terrible. This is like the teachers fund running the show. You have all these people who have no experience in building a team or how to hire the proper personell doing just that. It was infuriating watching a guy like Peddie who, again, had zero experience and no clue how to run a team, running things. He had a massive ego and wanted credit if the Leafs ever won anything but when things were going wrong, which was the entire time he was here, he chickened out of the responsibility and threw JFJ under the bus. I realise I've gotten away from Pegula here but I'm having warlike flashbacks of Peddie and how far back he set this franchise with his incompetence. He's the worst thing to happen to the Leafs since Ballard.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
To all those dissing the city of Buffalo, I actually know some people who moved to Buffalo from Toronto for a few years. Guess what? They loved it! They didn't want to return! Not joking.

Supposedly, they had a beautiful house, overlooking a pond, for dirt cheap. They had their entertainment and sports needs covered (including easy and affordable access to Bills and Sabres games) and when they wanted a little more excitement, they would drive to Niagara, Toronto, Syracuse, Rochester, Cleveland or some of the beach towns along lake Erie.

Honestly, it's a decent existence. I wouldn't hate living there.

I'd have more issues with living in a cold, isolated Canadian or North Western American city.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
When you talk about obnoxious leaf fans, I would include people who put down the behavior of other leaf fans so they can seem like they are somehow superior. Leaf nation is diverse group and if some of us want to respond to years of futility by sticking it in people's faces then they've earned the right to do it without taking grief from pretentious snobs. When the leafs win an exhibition game I'll let anybody and everybody know that it's clearly the first step to our next cup, and as a survivor of the Ballard years I've earned that right. Yes, lots of teams are burnt because they can't make fun of us anymore and that's their problem to deal with, not ours. In your face Buffalo, deal with it because we already did for 50 years.

I agree, it's sports afterall. Who cares about the other guy? When we win, I'm all for trolling the other guy. If all they have is I'm obnoxious, ha ha ha

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Changes by the year. But, I'd personally nominate Finland. Most Jets fans are fine, it's the insane ones who only became Jets fans last June who drive me insane. In general, they are the ones who fuel most of the conflict with delusional comments.

I probably dislike Ottawa the most. Vancouver, I disliked when they were good, but at this point, I feel bad for them, they are trapped in a situation similar to what we had under out mismanagement. I actually would like to see Van win the lotto this year, I can't say the same about Winnipeg or Buffalo.

All fanbases are generally the same, they just vary by size which alters the proportion of the types of posters you get.

I agree.

In a way, I'm not surprised that the Finns are like that. I have quite a few Finnish friends, and the way they describe how Finnish media relates to Laine is quite astonishing.

As an example, one of them asked me in the middle of the season what ever happened to Matthews. By following Finnish media, she believed he had just faded completely and Laine was closer to all-time greats in performance. This was at a time when my retort was pretty much that Matthews beat him in every single way when taking ice time and games into account.

So I think a part of why they are like that is that Finnish media portrays it as the normal, sensible opinion. I also have a feeling that quite a few of them are very new to NHL.

As for the other fanbases, I have a soft spot for Vancouver as well. I don't really wish that kind of hopelessness on any fanbase, I know it too well myself. In a way, I wish Buffalo could get going. The possible rivalry just seem too good to want them to fail.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
To all those dissing the city of Buffalo, I actually know some people who moved to Buffalo from Toronto for a few years. Guess what? They loved it! They didn't want to return! Not joking.

Supposedly, they had a beautiful house, overlooking a pond, for dirt cheap. They had their entertainment and sports needs covered (including easy and affordable access to Bills and Sabres games) and when they wanted a little more excitement, they would drive to Niagara, Toronto, Syracuse, Rochester, Cleveland or some of the beach towns along lake Erie.

Honestly, it's a decent existence. I wouldn't hate living there.

I'd have more issues with living in a cold, isolated Canadian or North Western American city.

Not as easy to earn though is it?

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

lol pretentious snobs. If you're going to take a **** everyone attitude, you're going to be called obnoxious. Own it then and don't get butt hurt when someone calls a spade a spade.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
lol pretentious snobs. If you're going to take a **** everyone attitude, you're going to be called obnoxious. Own it then and don't get butt hurt when someone calls a spade a spade.

yeah exactly. Im sorry but rubbing in peoples faces after a preseason win saying its the first step to a cup is laughable behaviour. Not just as a sports fan but acting like that is obnoxious in any aspect of life. Thats not leaf fans judging other leaf fans, its person to person. Its great to have fun, but act with some class

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I doesn't matter who is better. Eichel is a heck of centre and most teams in the league would love to have him. The problem for Buffalo is they got screwed in the lottery twice I believe. They coulda had Ekblad and McDavid instead they have Reinhart and Eichel. Eichel is on an island by himself over there.

To get too smug Leaf fans - be happy and be glad but don't be smug - we lucked out getting Matthews and we lucked out that Arizona was stupid in choosing Strome over Marner.

Nobody gets screwed in the lottery. It's called a lottery for a reason. The worst team only gets a 20% chance. It's just embarassing the entitlement that fanbase and management have. Tears are so delicious.

They screwed themselves by trading massive assets for ROR and then giving him almost 8 mil a year. They wanted to skip a few steps and traded for more win now players. Also Lehner isn't the answer in net. Their D is really bad. It's their fault....the lottery didn't screw them. They screwed themselves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad