News Article: Jeremy White's rant

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
This is just sad. What’s his point supposed to be able Nylander?

They literally took Reinhart in the same draft, ahead of him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I disagree. They have no depth beyond their core players and the defense is one of the worst and is set to lose one of their better dmen in Franson.
Outside of coaching and management, the big difference is. We have bad contracts we took on assets to eat (Laich, Greening, etc) or have flat out buried, they have bad contracts on players they expect to contribute (Moulson, Bogosian, etc). ROR is a good player, but they traded assets and pay him 7.5 a year for a 1b/2a center, we developed our own and pay him 4.5 long-term.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
I disagree. They have no depth beyond their core players and the defense is one of the worst and is set to lose one of their better dmen in Franson.

Their biggest hole is D.

They don't have anyone at Jake or Morgan's level.

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
On the one hand, this seems like a bit of an overreaction seeing how the Sabres aren't really as bad as this year's standings would suggest (IMO) and they'll surely continue to improve barring some mismanagement.

On the other hand I can imagine it'd be frustrating watching a division rival get as lucky as we have. Not to discredit management or anything, but we won the lottery, weren't really considered a frontrunner for Babcock (at least not ahead of the Red Wings and Sabres), got Marner at 4th overall, Nylander at 8th, signed Zaitsev, etc....

If things played out just a little bit differently, we could be looking at a core of Strome, Virtanen, Laine (or maybe even Puljujarvi or DuBois) with Guy Boucher coaching, while the Sabres could've had McDavid and Babcock.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
On the one hand, this seems like a bit of an overreaction seeing how (IMO) the Sabres could be a playoff team as early as next season.

On the other hand I can imagine it'd be frustrating watching a division rival get as lucky as we have. Not to discredit management or anything, but we won the lottery, weren't really considered a frontrunner for Babcock (at least not ahead of the Red Wings and Sabres), got Marner at 4th overall, Nylander at 8th, signed Zaitsev, etc....

If things played out just a little bit differently, we could be looking at a core of Strome, Virtanen, Laine (or maybe even Puljujarvi or DuBois) with Guy Boucher coaching, while the Sabres could've had McDavid and Babcock.

well.. nothing is wrong with Guy Boucher.
if we didn't have Marner - we have a really killer defense starting to grow.
2016 is where we got Lucky (Matty), for sure.

Buffalo just got unlucky w/injuries. i'm sure they'll be there next year.

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
well.. nothing is wrong with Guy Boucher.
if we didn't have Marner - we have a really killer defense starting to grow.
2016 is where we got Lucky (Matty), for sure.

Buffalo just got unlucky w/injuries. i'm sure they'll be there next year.
Yeah, I mean I do think we've done a smarter job with our rebuild than the Sabres have and "deserve" to be a little bit ahead in that sense. I'm just saying I both sympathize with this guy's frustration and think he needs to relax a bit because they're not that far behind.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There complaining about the lottery is hilarious though. They got their first choice in 2014 if Murray is to be believed and they only had a 20% chance at McDavid. We just drafted better in subsequent picks. Marner and Nylander both look better than Reinhart. Too early to say on Alex Nylander, but I'd say Marner and Nylander also look significantly better than him.

On top of that, we traded our vets for futures and kept most of them. The only win-now/trading youth for experienced players type of move we made was for Andersen. They traded Myers for similarly aged veterans who were getting paid instead of collecting assets. They made a win now move for RNH. They spent money bringing back guys in there 30's (Moulson, Gionta, etc). They traded Pysyk for one year of Kulikov.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Their biggest hole is D.

They don't have anyone at Jake or Morgan's level.

Ristolainen is good. I think he just looks worst than he is because that team sucks so much. If he was on the Leafs under Babs, he'd look a lot better.

I actually think he's underrated. I like him more than Dougie Hamilton, for example. Like I said, he's just on a crappier situation.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
It's like that guy you hung out with in high school who was a total slacker, and ends up being rich and successful with an important job and a hot wife ... that's the leafs.
Buffalo and Winnipeg are the other 2 guys who now hate him Lol.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Thanks for wasting my precious time.

obi-wan-kenobi-blame-you-have-done-that-yourself.jpg

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Which one of our little brothers is the worst? Buffalo, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Vancouver?
Changes by the year. But, I'd personally nominate Finland. Most Jets fans are fine, it's the insane ones who only became Jets fans last June who drive me insane. In general, they are the ones who fuel most of the conflict with delusional comments.

I probably dislike Ottawa the most. Vancouver, I disliked when they were good, but at this point, I feel bad for them, they are trapped in a situation similar to what we had under out mismanagement. I actually would like to see Van win the lotto this year, I can't say the same about Winnipeg or Buffalo.

All fanbases are generally the same, they just vary by size which alters the proportion of the types of posters you get.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
I'm not really a fan of the little brother description, Vancouver is the worst though. It's almost entirely a one sided rivalry.

Apparently some Vancouver radio show host visited Toronto for game 3 and said there was absolutely no playoff atmosphere in Toronto.

There was no sign of the Leafs playing in downtown, a few blocks away from the ACC? LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad