Proposal: Jeremy Swayman for Casey Mittlestadt, Isak Rosen and a 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
The current GM has missed the playoffs because his goalie evaluation is ass. Swayman is a great young goalie.
That GM, Kevyn Adams, is considered by an overwhelming majority in the NHL management ranks to have made very good decisions. As Detroits GM himself said "Buffalo will be the measuring stick in the near future". So while making the playoffs this season may be your personal view of immed8ate progress, Adams is most assuredly playing the long game, and its working, again, as many NHL insiders are openly pointing out.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Bad value for the Sabres. Goalies don't command this kind of return and neither is it the primary position of need for Buffalo.

Mittelstadt is a 25 year old 1C/2C who would look great in Boston which is why Sabres should keep him. They have been supplying other teams with great centers for way too long, already.

Before the season Mitts for Carlo + was something I would have been contemplating. Not anymore.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Bad value for the Sabres. Goalies don't command this kind of return and neither is it the primary position of need for Buffalo.

Mittelstadt is a 25 year old 1C/2C who would look great in Boston which is why Sabres should keep him. They have been supplying other teams with great centers for way too long, already.

Before the season Mitts for Carlo + was something I would have been contemplating. Not anymore.
Casey is not a 1C on a contending team.

Reactions: bleedblue94

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Debatable. He'd definitely be on this season's bruins.
1C, to me, means a top 32 C in the league. Not the first line center on a team. Like prime Malkin and Draisaitl are 1Cs despite often centering the second lines. Casey isn’t a top 32 C in the league.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
1C, to me, means a top 32 C in the league. Not the first line center on a team. Like prime Malkin and Draisaitl are 1Cs despite often centering the second lines. Casey isn’t a top 32 C in the league.
You're moving the goalposts. You said he wouldn't be the 1C on a contending team, I proved you wrong. Also, I wrote 1C/2C which implies first line/second line C tweener.

But I'm not interested in that conversation anyway. Bottom line: Sabres shouldn't move Mitts, they should resign him. And if for whatever reason they did trade him, then definitely not for the return in the poorly thought-out OP offer.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Bruins have Ullmark for 3 more years after this. Swayman is going to be looking for a bigger role/payday and the Bruins might not want to tie up so much cap in 2 goaltenders.

Mittlestadt is on a team friendly deal and Rosen is a first rounder who is having a quietly good season in the AHL as an 18 year old.
Ullmark has one more year after this, then he is a free agent.........

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Debatable. He'd definitely be on this season's bruins.

Perhaps not. Zero physicality, poor with face offs, and yet to outscore 60 points in a season. 2 points last 5 games...

He may be the 3C behind Coyle/Zacha. Certainly competing for 2C with Zacha.

This is not enough for Boston.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
?? Underwhelming how? He was in the shl and his team screwed him out of minutes. He has been very good in AHL this year and lately as good as Kulich per his coach. Developing fine for a mid 1st rd pick who needs to add size/strength. This is a normal to good mid first round trajectory. Also mittelstadt is already a middle 9 solid player who will score 50+ this year - are you expecting back a real top end number 2 center? That’s not happening any time…

People base their opinions on outdated information and make their minds up. He had a great second half last year. He upped his game in the first half, albeit he hit a lull in the last dozen games. He is having a great year for a 20-yeard-old in AHL and frankly no points in NHL stint but last game or two he got good looks.

The misunderstanding on Mittelstadt is just embarrassing. The guy is on close to a 20-goal pace 60 points and a +14 on a bottom feeder. Yeah, he sucks. SURE. Plus, he is team controlled for two years.

In terms of draft picks, Casey is a middle 1st and a good prospect on his own. Rosen is a slightly developed former middle-rounder in 1st whose game keeps getting better and is likely ready for the NHL 2024-25. And then you get our second, which is a top 40?

Swayman is a great goalie but he has two years of RFA control from what I can tell. I'm don't think anyone is giving up more than what is offered here from Sabres.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Ug6z23.gif

Bumps like these, huh, Gary?

Reactions: GOilers88

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Strange that you would bump this one when goaltending hasn't been an issue for us this year. Are you trying to show everyone how you were wrong? We can't score and your fix for Buffalo's woes is to trade away forwards with potential for extra goalies?
Cozens isn't worth Swayman. Buffalo fans swore Cozens was him last year lol

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Nice bump, a goalie still doesn’t get you a top 6 C locked up.

Goalies are so volatile. Maybe Swayman is the next big thing but if he’s traded it’s likely out West and not in their own division. Or, you know, Boston keeps him and trades Ullmark instead.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Perhaps not. Zero physicality, poor with face offs, and yet to outscore 60 points in a season. 2 points last 5 games...

He may be the 3C behind Coyle/Zacha. Certainly competing for 2C with Zacha.

This is not enough for Boston.
He'd definitely be higher up on your depth chart than Zacha and you know it.

Zero physicality? You're probably thinking of the pull-up episode some seven years ago. While he won't drop the gloves anytime soon, he's gained strength, is strong along the boards with a mature two way game and good backchecking.
If Krejci was physical enough for you guys then Mitts wouldn't have a problem in that regard, either.

That being said, he won't be traded for a goalie so moot discussion.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Cozens isn't worth Swayman. Buffalo fans swore Cozens was him last year lol
So what? You were wrong about us needing to trade away forwards for a goaltender. If we traded Cozens we would be weaker at centre and MAYBE getting the same goaltending (unlikely swayman performs well behind our Defense) Why bump a thread where you were wrong?

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Similarly, it's like Bo Horvat for Cory Schneider.
similar would be a 1st for corey schnieder. not a player that we now know as a good 2c.
tage would fetch more than a first as he is now, so it is not in fact the similar

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
He'd definitely be higher up on your depth chart than Zacha and you know it.

Zero physicality? You're probably thinking of the pull-up episode some seven years ago. While he won't drop the gloves anytime soon, he's gained strength, is strong along the boards with a mature two way game and good backchecking.
If Krejci was physical enough for you guys then Mitts wouldn't have a problem in that regard, either.

That being said, he won't be traded for a goalie so moot discussion.

These are all fair points. That said, the idea is to push Zacha and Coyle down the lineup. Mitts isn’t any better than what we currently have. Not saying a goalie can fetch what we need, just reiterating what I said the last time this thread was up that he isn’t an improvement on Coyle and isn’t enough of an improvement on Zacha that I see a fit for him on the B’s. If we didn’t have Zacha or Coyle then he is absolutely a player I’d hope the B’s target. Good player though.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So what? You were wrong about us needing to trade away forwards for a goaltender. If we traded Cozens we would be weaker at centre and MAYBE getting the same goaltending (unlikely swayman performs well behind our Defense) Why bump a thread where you were wrong?

I would like to just point out that while the Boston defense ain’t Buffalo, they have been below average in defensive metrics with their massive center downgrades and the goalies have been carrying them.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad