Sportsnet: Jeremy Roenick says it how it is/about leafs

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
His failures aren't certainly for a lack of effort or preparation. He uses the tools he has quite well and has matured into it over the years. I'll also admit he does have some deficiencies, such as his mobility and I feel as though he plays too conservatively when he should be more aggressive and vice-versa.

I would say it's more on his teammates than solely on Phaneuf. Why cannot they show up to the rink ready to play? Why is Reimer never prepared and always letting in a stinker early on? Why does our team come slow out of the gate every game? How is this Phaneuf's responsibility?

If they are "bitter" or "resentful" that skill-less Phaneuf is Captain (because honestly I cannot think of any other logical reason as to why Phaneuf as captain would be bringing the team down), much like the fans, that's too bad. They need to grow up and be professional hockey players. I don't buy into the captain having a motivational speech every game, it's not hollywood. Sundin lead by example and while Phaneuf doesn't have the natural skill that Sundin does he still leads by his effort on and off the ice.

But since that's clearly not going to happen I do agree maybe Phaneuf isn't the best man for the job. But to boo him? For accepting a 'promotion'... So classy. I am sure that next promotion offered you will be declined. So let's keep letting other players off the hook and focus solely on Phaneuf.

I feel as though there isn't a suitable leader for this team so how can he be any worse than anyone else available on this team?

Of course I can't imagine the players give two craps about what us fans think anyways, so this is all rather pointless.

The problem with having Phaneuf as your captain, over anyone else, is that he lacks leadership from all around the league, and confidence in his own game. If Phaneuf speaks up in the dressing room, says lets go guys, then proceeds to go out and flub the puck allowing the opposing team to score... than I would begin to mute him out.

Komarov would be a better Captain. He backs up his mouth with his play, heart and hustle and is very well liked among his teammates (in any league).

Even still, I wouldn't give anyone the C, no one deserves it, three A's.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
I don't care for Phaneuf at all and I would cheer if he was shipped out, but a 4th or 5th dman? C'mon.

Take away his salary and years in the league and put him in a roster where he should be and he would be 3rd pair maybe you could get away with 2nd pair with a better defenceman. Even his experience isnt helping him the last couple of seasons and he is a huge detriment to his team.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
Dions reduced himself to fighting guys like Milan Michalek and throws punches while he's down! Think his teammates don't see that and lose respect for the guy? What an embarrassment.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
However misguided anyone's feelings are towards Phanuef, they'd have to admit he's one of the only guys to show a pulse the last few weeks.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Take away his salary and years in the league and put him in a roster where he should be and he would be 3rd pair maybe you could get away with 2nd pair with a better defenceman. Even his experience isnt helping him the last couple of seasons and he is a huge detriment to his team.

Exactly... Phaneuf has been error prone essentially ever since he came to Toronto, he was in Calgary too. Since he arrived in Toronto, I can't count one game where he was able to put the team on his back and carry them to victory. He's just not capable of any heroics, like most Captains. His play rarely if ever sparks his teammates, much more often he's the goat then hero. He's a 3rd pairing guy IMO.

Lets remember that Aulie, Franson and Gunnarsson all have looked like 2nd pairing guys at times on our roster.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Kessel has been our best playoff player in the last decade

His 7 games as a Leaf? Seriously I'm basing my argument on the big sample size.. the season, where his play continually contributes to us losing, which leads us to not making the playoffs. How many EV points does he have this year? What's his +-. compare that to Winnik.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It seems to me that Phaneuf has been cast in the wrong role, and more is expected of him than he is capable of. Phaneuf was a hard hitting, gambling, offensive D man from the outset. To expect to make him something else, just isn't sound planning. Get the guy a steady stay at home guy to play with, and he is decent. Phaneuf might be overpayed in the cap world, but he is a good D man... we just don't have enough, and expect too much out of him.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Kessel has been our best playoff player in the last decade

People talking about Phaneuf needing to be insulated with good leaders.. I don't believe that. Kessel I do make that argument.

Phaneuf is a 3rd pairing guy, wearing a C, being called a #1 defenseman, and being paid like one too. Don't insulate him, because even if you did, his play isn't likely to improve much. He's still slow, lacks offensive flair, and prone to mental mistakes.... this isn't going to change if he's insulated.

Kessel on the other hand... would be incredible on a 2nd line, or would be incredible if you can keep him away from opposing teams top lines.

My problem with Kessel is that he's 28 this year and we don't have anywhere near the assets needed to insulate him anytime soon.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Roenick is half right about both.

Phaneuf isn't captain material and he's not the #1 stud defenseman we need, but he's better than a number 4 or 5. He's probably closer to a 2nd or 3rd D.

Kessel does need to bring more to the ice but he's perfect justified in his response to the media. The Toronto sports media is among the worst in the world and the players don't owe any of these idiots an explanation.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It seems to me that Phaneuf has been cast in the wrong role, and more is expected of him than he is capable of. Phaneuf was a hard hitting, gambling, offensive D man from the outset. To expect to make him something else, just isn't sound planning. Get the guy a steady stay at home guy to play with, and he is decent. Phaneuf might be overpayed in the cap world, but he is a good D man... we just don't have enough, and expect too much out of him.

Put him with a steady stay at home guy, why? This isn't 2007, Phaneuf's offensive game has dried up completely. He doesn't have a lot of offensive flair, his shot never hits the net, and he doesn't make any seeing eye passes. Typically pairing another defenseman with a stay at home guy, is talked about when you have an exceptional offensively talented defenseman, whose play sometimes leads to him being caught out of position... but more often than not, his offensive talents outweight his defensive shortcomings. Ex Karlsson, Kaberle in Toronto, Subban.

You wouldn't do that to a 35 point defenseman, with a limited offensive game. Realistically, with Phaneufs talents, he's IS THE GUY that should be talked about being paired with the offensive guy, but because of his defensive shortcomings/that just wouldn't happen.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
His 7 games as a Leaf? Seriously I'm basing my argument on the big sample size.. the season, where his play continually contributes to us losing, which leads us to not making the playoffs. How many EV points does he have this year? What's his +-. compare that to Winnik.

I think the concept of Team sports may be lost on you.

Sabs*

Watching the jets game last night dion would slot in as a 5 th dman with winnipeg

leburn98

Jan 28, 2013
Dions reduced himself to fighting guys like Milan Michalek and throws punches while he's down! Think his teammates don't see that and lose respect for the guy? What an embarrassment.

At least Dion showed a pulse, that's more than can be said for the rest of this team (Clarkson/Polak being exceptions).

I just want to see guys like Kessel, Bozak, JVR, etc. act out of character and just lay someone out. I want them to show us that they give a damn and show a willingness to do what needs to be done and set an example going forward.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
However misguided anyone's feelings are towards Phanuef, they'd have to admit he's one of the only guys to show a pulse the last few weeks.

I think Phaneuf cares, is doing his best, and even engaging in battles more than normal.

It is not Phaneuf's fault that he's captain, and it isn't Phaneuf's fault he has some glaring physical limitations.

Phaneuf's trouble began with Wilson making him captain.

He really shouldn't be the best defenseman on a team that wants to be a contender, however he is. That's on management not Phaneuf.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Put him with a steady stay at home guy, why? This isn't 2007, Phaneuf's offensive game has dried up completely. He doesn't have a lot of offensive flair, his shot never hits the net, and he doesn't make any seeing eye passes. Typically pairing another defenseman with a stay at home guy, is talked about when you have an exceptional offensively talented defenseman, whose play sometimes leads to him being caught out of position... but more often than not, his offensive talents outweight his defensive shortcomings. Ex Karlsson, Kaberle in Toronto, Subban.

You wouldn't do that to a 35 point defenseman, with a limited offensive game. Realistically, with Phaneufs talents, he's IS THE GUY that should be talked about being paired with the offensive guy, but because of his defensive shortcomings/that just wouldn't happen.

I think his offensive shortcomings are a result of trying to do too much, and be something he isn't. That includes being Captain... he isn't one... just let him be a player.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Exactly... Phaneuf has been error prone essentially ever since he came to Toronto, he was in Calgary too. Since he arrived in Toronto, I can't count one game where he was able to put the team on his back and carry them to victory. He's just not capable of any heroics, like most Captains. His play rarely if ever sparks his teammates, much more often he's the goat then hero. He's a 3rd pairing guy IMO.

Lets remember that Aulie, Franson and Gunnarsson all have looked like 2nd pairing guys at times on our roster.

Team played better after he layed out the Staal brothers. The Leafs played better after he started beating on Michalek for the spear to the nuts he took. Mind you the top line still coasted and did nothing.

I said it before but the "offensive forwards" on this team only respond to Kessel and Kessel does not get pumped up over hits, fights or anything other than if he scored a goal or not so the other forwards just sit back and wait for Kessel to get hot so they can ride his coattails. Thats the issue with the top line.

I don't know how many defensemen can put a team on there backs and take them to victory. The position in itself doesn't exactly lend itself to be that impact-full unless your team utilizes its defensemen to there strengths like Calgary used to do with Dion or how Montreal, Nashville use there defensemen. As it stands the Leafs offense goes through Kessel and the points are heavily covered because of the lack of a down low threat so if there Defensemen do get pucks through there is no net presence for tips or rebounds. How is a defensmen supposed to carry a team to victory when the team does not put them in a position to affect the scoresheet positively?

Maybe a different type of offensive defensemen could do that for this team but Phaneuf has never created his offense by rushing the puck or skating circles into the offensive zone and then slipping one by the goalie like Gardiner could or Pietroangelo can. Phaneuf gets his offense off of a teams strong cycle game and they get the puck to him for a point shot or better yet one timer while the forwards drive the net, that is how defensemen with his skill set score goals and make an impact offensively. Weber and Subban would not score as many goals nor have as great of an impact on the outcome of a game if they where playing for the Leafs because the Leafs system would essentially neuter them offensively by not utilizing there best strengths which is their ability to shoot the puck. Its the same with Phaneuf.

Phaneufs offensive strengths do not fit with this teams offensive game. But because you need the other threat on the PP you keep Dion there hoping it frees up space for Kessel which it no longer does. Why the **** the Leafs management cant figure this out is beyond me.

Its either utilized Phaneufs strengths which means changing the offensive game of the club or you trade him for an asset that can help the team play the way they like to play. Rush loser hockey. It is a lot cheaper cap wise to have a defensive defenseman shut down the opposition and have your offensive defenseman insulated but placed in offensive roles ala Jake Gardiner. bleh Unless you can find another Doughty, Peitro, Keith kicking around somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad