Sportsnet: Jeremy Roenick says it how it is/about leafs

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In terms of Phaneuf being a number 4 or 5 defenseman, would you rather he be out there late in a game seven or Johnny Boychuk?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
How many cups does Roenick have?

You could have made this arguement about one of the best d-men of all time (Ray Bourque) until he went to Colorado. Comments like these make no sense what-so-ever.

Roenick is simply stating the facts, facts that a good bunch of people have been saying for years on here. All the Phaneuf supporters are eerily quiet right now, as he along with the rest of these bums have their yearly meltdown.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I think Leafs Nation in Ottawa were raining down the boos every time Phaneuf touched the puck.

He deserves it. The fans have officially spoken.

I hope it continues at the ACC to show management that something needs to be done about him soon.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
You could have made this arguement about one of the best d-men of all time (Ray Bourque) until he went to Colorado. Comments like these make no sense what-so-ever.

Roenick is simply stating the facts, facts that a good bunch of people have been saying for years on here. All the Phaneuf supporters are eerily quiet right now, as he along with the rest of these bums have their yearly meltdown.

Both Phaneuf and Corsi supporters are much quieter than usual, it's nice :)

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
i agree phaneuf has not done a good job of having an extra piece of cloth sewn on his jersey. he probably doesn't even bleach the C so it stays nice and white, and i bet he even got blood on it a few times :shakehead

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
I think Leafs Nation in Ottawa were raining down the boos every time Phaneuf touched the puck.

He deserves it. The fans have officially spoken.

I hope it continues at the ACC to show management that something needs to be done about him soon.

The fans have officially spoken because you THINK the leaf fans in Ottawa were booing him?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I hate the phrase "says it like it is", especially when its followed up with " and some people don't like that".

Its only said by people who are full of ****, full of thselves and lack the social skills to have a civilized discussion.

mehavecable

Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Before we make start making wild trades and deBurking this team... Let's make sure we have the right mgmt team in place.

It is mgmt who put the "C" on Phaneuf.
It is mgmt who acquired Kessel and made him the centre piece of the team.
It is mgmt who over payed and over-termed Clarkson
It is mgmt who failed to acquire for a centre for PK
It is mgmt...
It is mgmt...
It is mgmt...
It is mgmt...

rustysvetz

Dec 16, 2009
Toronto
I was one of them.

Sad state of affairs in Leaf Land. On the plus side, all this angst and denial as "fans" bandwagon on the tank so everyone can validate their fragile emotions is now moving past hilarity into the realm of annoying.

One of the few guys on the team to ever show emotion is getting boo'd. Hung out to dry by Franson? Boo Phaneuf. Kessel and JVR standing at the other teams blue line when the puck is behind our net? Boo Phaneuf. He lay out a Staal and beat the **** out of his brother? Boo Phaneuf. And of course, boo him for every single mistake he ever makes playing against the top competition in the world.

I'll admit, I have lost faith in him as a CAPTAIN, something isn't working with this team and something has to change but geeze.. its a TEAM game. Boo Kessel. Boo JVR (I know he's got a big body and thats hot but he's just a guilty as our other forwards). Boo Franson. Boo Gardiner. If you're not getting my point yet, boo the TEAM.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Sad state of affairs in Leaf Land. On the plus side, all this angst and denial as "fans" bandwagon on the tank so everyone can validate their fragile emotions is now moving past hilarity into the realm of annoying.

One of the few guys on the team to ever show emotion is getting boo'd. Hung out to dry by Franson? Boo Phaneuf. Kessel and JVR standing at the other teams blue line when the puck is behind our net? Boo Phaneuf. He lay out a Staal and beat the **** out of his brother? Boo Phaneuf. And of course, boo him for every single mistake he ever makes playing against the top competition in the world.

I'll admit, I have lost faith in him as a CAPTAIN, something isn't working with this team and something has to change but geeze.. its a TEAM game. Boo Kessel. Boo JVR (I know he's got a big body and thats hot but he's just a guilty as our other forwards). Boo Franson. Boo Gardiner. If you're not getting my point yet, boo the TEAM.

All you need to know about this team.
During this slide and last years 2-12 debacle, who was our best player?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yay! Everybody pile on! Run everybody out of town and burn down the village!

Yea this. Roenick can say what we wants of course but the timing of this shows a complete lack of class. He must be starving for attention or something poor guy.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario

The TEAM does get Boo'd at the ACC.

Culture change on the TEAM starts with changing the captain.

Remove the C and the boos go away.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The TEAM does get Boo'd at the ACC.

Culture change on the TEAM starts with changing the captain.

Remove the C and the boos go away.

You can remove the C but that doesn't mean Phaneuf still wont be the top pair D-man. Still playing 20+ minutes/night on with Franson or Polak. Still won't change the outcome either way. Put the C on Bozak what does it matter at this point. A flawed core is a flawed core.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
You can remove the C but that doesn't mean Phaneuf still wont be the top pair D-man. Still playing 20+ minutes/night on with Franson or Polak. Still won't change the outcome either way. Put the C on Bozak what does it matter at this point. A flawed core is a flawed core.

Put the C on Lupul...

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I hate the phrase "says it like it is", especially when its followed up with " and some people don't like that".

Its only said by people who are full of ****, full of thselves and lack the social skills to have a civilized discussion.

I hate when people make overarching conclusions and statements of others based off of a single attribute or point. Sort of makes you look like you lack social skills as well.

rustysvetz

Dec 16, 2009
Toronto
His failures aren't certainly for a lack of effort or preparation. He uses the tools he has quite well and has matured into it over the years. I'll also admit he does have some deficiencies, such as his mobility and I feel as though he plays too conservatively when he should be more aggressive and vice-versa.

I would say it's more on his teammates than solely on Phaneuf. Why cannot they show up to the rink ready to play? Why is Reimer never prepared and always letting in a stinker early on? Why does our team come slow out of the gate every game? How is this Phaneuf's responsibility?

If they are "bitter" or "resentful" that skill-less Phaneuf is Captain (because honestly I cannot think of any other logical reason as to why Phaneuf as captain would be bringing the team down), much like the fans, that's too bad. They need to grow up and be professional hockey players. I don't buy into the captain having a motivational speech every game, it's not hollywood. Sundin lead by example and while Phaneuf doesn't have the natural skill that Sundin does he still leads by his effort on and off the ice.

But since that's clearly not going to happen I do agree maybe Phaneuf isn't the best man for the job. But to boo him? For accepting a 'promotion'... So classy. I am sure that next promotion offered you will be declined. So let's keep letting other players off the hook and focus solely on Phaneuf.

I feel as though there isn't a suitable leader for this team so how can he be any worse than anyone else available on this team?

Of course I can't imagine the players give two craps about what us fans think anyways, so this is all rather pointless.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

This is a pretty bold statement, one that definitely requires some intelligent backing. I'm looking forward to your explanation Dr.

I compare your statement to people who disagree with something, and when people say why... they say "because"... but have no more to their rebuttal, mostly because they have no idea what they're talking about.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Kessel has been criticized every single day of his 6 years here and has had ONE noticable outburst. I dont buy he cant handle criticism.

When the tough gets going... so does kessel... except he gets going away from the puck.

Kessel is highly effective early in the year, but once the games become more physical and tighter checking, he slowly disappears.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad