Jeremy Roenick Or John Tavares

Who was the better player in these players' best several seasons?

• Total voters

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I watched him for his entire career and was the first person to predict he would have a stellar NHL career. He was given a lot of extra hype based on his passport. If he was Canadian he would be heavily vilified.

That said he just wasn't as good of a player.

Again: provide a reason.

Reactions: Sacul

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
But he’s watched both play

I wonder what Roenick's P1/60 was. Too bad they didn't keep track of that back in the 90s. Would have loved to evaluate who was better between him and Rob Zamuner since it would be way too easy to just compare their actual production.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Tavares has been overrated his entire career ever since he got drafted. And I'm not just saying this just because he's a Leaf now. He never lived up to the hype based off his junior career and quickly became a media darling due to being a star playing for a poorly run Islanders team.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Tavares has been overrated his entire career ever since he got drafted. And I'm not just saying this just because he's a Leaf now. He never lived up to the hype based off his junior career and quickly became a media darling due to being a star playing for a poorly run Islanders team.

Maybe the last part is the key.
No offense, but Marner, can't be compared to MMoulson or Lee.
Now that JT is with someone, with his pedigree he's realizing his potential.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

So Moulson and Lee were holding him back by 2 points? Because Tavares' went from a career high of 86 points in New York to a career high of 88 points in Toronto.

You make it sound like he jumped into the 100 point range now with a better supporting cast.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I think they impacted the game about the same.

Usually I'd refrain from voting in these polls when I find players to be equal, but I voted Tavares to even it out, and piss people off.

I don't get how anyone could say one was CLEARLY better than the other. It's not like we're comparing Sakic to Buchburger.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
So Moulson and Lee were holding him back by 2 points? Because Tavares' went from a career high of 86 points in New York to a career high of 88 points in Toronto.

You make it sound like he jumped into the 100 point range now with a better supporting cast.

In goals, he crushed his previous totals.
The seasons where he scored 66 and 70...ok I'll blame Moulson more.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
In goals, he crushed his previous totals.

Since "on pace" seems to be popular on here when discussing certain players, then it should also be pointed out that Tavares was "on pace" for like 47 or 48 goals during the 2013 season when he scored 28 goals in 48 games. So technically, you're right. He beat his *actual* career high by quite a bit. But he'd shown he could pace for what he got last year even in NY.

I just think that when people start talking about "now we see his full potential" or whatever, then he should be demolishing his previous production in all categories, not just one specific stat while his point totals remain pretty much the same.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Other than a couple seasons where Tavares finished top 10 in scoring he generally finished top 11-20. He finished 16th this year

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
what a dumb comment. he played in an era that had Gretzky and Lemieux. two of the top 3 players in the history of the game.

I checked it out Roenick top seeding for scoring was 6th and that was a season Lemieux was injured.

If you are going on 1 season Tavares beats Roenick, if you are going on a string of 5 seasons Reonick beats Tavares, now in terms of career Roenick's career seemed to take a dive in his late 20s so Tavares should beat him in that regard

The seasons where he scored 66 and 70...ok I'll blame Moulson more.

For all of Moulson's faults like he was a terrible skater and not so great defensively, he had an uncanny ability to get into tough spots and redirect pucks into the net

Last edited:
Reactions: authentic

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
At no point did I ever feel like Roenick was a top-5 forward in the NHL. I think Tavares was for 2yrs in his career, so I'll vote for him.

Pretty close though.

Note:
Even if you exclude Lemieux and Gretzky, Tavares had better Hart finishes.

Reactions: authentic

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Roenick for me.
Both great players.

JR was one of the most exciting players in the NHL.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
At least everyone can “heard” when John Tavares speaks. Same can’t be said about good old JR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad