Jeremy Roenick Or John Tavares

Who was the better player in these players' best several seasons?

• Total voters

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Who was the better player in these players' best several seasons?

JR:

1992:

Seventh in scoring
Adjusted stats: 47 G, 44 A, 91 P
Fifth in Hart voting and ninth in Selke voting

1993:

Adjusted stats: 41 G, 46 A, 87 P

1994:

Fifth in scoring
Adjusted stats: 42 G, 55 A, 97 P
Tenth in Hart voting:

2000:

Adjusted stats: 37 G, 48 A, 85 P

JT:

2012:

Seventh in scoring
Adjusted stats: 35 G, 55 A, 90 P

2013:

Adjusted stats: 54 G, 35 A, 89 P
Third in Hart voting

2015:

Second in scoring
Adjusted stats: 43 G, 53 A, 96 P
Third in Hart voting

2019:

Adjusted stats: 48 G, 41 A, 89 P

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How is Tavares winning this? Roenick essentially produced as much (if not better) offensively, all while being better defensively and providing a punishing physical game.

Like, what makes Tavares better? They basically produced the same, but Tavares lacks the other stuff Roenick brought to the table.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Were you watching hockey closely in the 90's? Roenick did more than just put up points. Dude was very hard to play against.

Yes I watched a lot.

I recognized how good Roenick was right away. I defended him a lot. Tavares was/is a far better player though.

Initially Roenick was one of my favourite players, right up until he became a caricature of himself. Tavares was/is a far better player though, at least as far as I'm concerned.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
It's close IMO. Era adjusted offensive outputs appear to be pretty similar so that's a wash for me. Personally, I put a lot of stock in major award voting and Tavares has the edge there which is the tiebreaker for me. They're not perfect, but I trust the people voting on these awards a lot more than the opinions of hfboards posters and they seemed to view Tavares as more valuable compared to his peers than Roenick ever was in a single season. Two time Hart finalist vs zero for Roenick.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yes I watched a lot.

I recognized how good Roenick was right away. I defended him a lot. Tavares was/is a far better player though.

Initially Roenick was one of my favourite players, right up until he became a caricature of himself. Tavares was/is a far better player though, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Based on what, though? You haven't really explained what Tavares does that makes him "far better" than Roenick.

Like I said above, their offensive output is roughly the same (when you account for era adjustments, otherwise Roenick destroys him), but Roenick also brought a better defensive game, and was a much more physical presence.

There's literally nothing tangible that I can think of that Tavares has over Roenick in terms of impact on the ice. Roenick is essentially Tavares offensively (he was more explosive than Tavares), but with Kadri's physical game mixed in.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Yes I watched a lot.

So Tavares is better because reasons.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Roenick was a mother****er on the ice in his prime. Next level power forward and perhaps the end of the line of the classic badass PF who goes into every game giving it all up knowing he'll come out in stitches.

I can't even compare them, lol. A dying/dead breed versus top tier modern talent.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
How is Tavares winning this? Roenick essentially produced as much (if not better) offensively, all while being better defensively and providing a punishing physical game.

Like, what makes Tavares better? They basically produced the same, but Tavares lacks the other stuff Roenick brought to the table.
Factor in scoring for era and it's closer but JR's physicality is a scale tipper. I think a more important question is, who cares? This is random and strange.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Factor in scoring for era and it's closer but JR's physicality is a scale tipper.

That's what I said in my subsequent post. Offensive production is roughly similar if you adjust for era, but Roenick brings so much more on top of that. So I see no reason Tavares is better.

I think a more important question is, who cares? This is random and strange.

You could say this about any poll on here, though.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
That's what I said in my subsequent post. Offensive production is roughly similar if you adjust for era, but Roenick brings so much more on top of that. So I see no reason Tavares is better.

You could say this about any poll on here, though.

No comparing people that play the same era, same position, similar styles or drafted in the same spot are logical, natural comparisons. I'm just curious what connects these two for the comparison?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No comparing people that play the same era, same position, similar styles or drafted in the same spot are logical, natural comparisons. I'm just curious what connects these two for the comparison?

You'd have to ask the OP for the exact reason for why he made the comparison, but my guess is because both players are/were top 10 forwards during their career, but never the best in any given year and didn't win any individual hardware. That would be my guess about what the link is.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
So a guy who was stellar in seasons 4-6, and then never came close afterwards.
Aside from those seasons JT outproduces him, all day everyday, on the far more, due to much less PIM.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
So a guy who was stellar in seasons 4-6, and then never came close afterwards.
Aside from those seasons JT outproduces him, all day everyday, on the far more, due to much less PIM.

3-6 seasons, so 4 years. And a couple of his Phoenix years weren't much different than a typical Tavares season.

Their top point finishes:

Tavares: 2, 7, 16, 16, 16, 17, 27, 28, 28
Roenick: 5, 7, 11, 11, 15, 20, 30, 33

Tavares has been a more consistent high end producer, given this is in fewer seasons for him, and seems likely to have a few more into his early 30s, but Roenick was quite good for more than just those years.

Besides, the question literally asks about their best several seasons.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I take it you don't really know how good Roenick was? Guy was a POS, but a damn good player who did more things than Tavares ever did.

I watched him for his entire career and was the first person to predict he would have a stellar NHL career. He was given a lot of extra hype based on his passport. If he was Canadian he would be heavily vilified.

That said he just wasn't as good of a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad