Jeremy Jacobs sends a strong signal Houston is next but relocation is unlikely

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
They’ll pay more if they wait too long.

League is not about to undercut OVG’s application nor devalue the franchises by giving some a discount.
then it happens in three years. NHL needs to stay ahead of the MLS

I think Houston will pay the same price as Quebec (who had a $500 million expansion bid "deferred") and the NHL will totally downplay/ignore the discussion of expansion fees.

17/17 seems weird, but 4 vs conference (64), 1 vs other conference (17), your main rival a 5th time = 82 games.
it does, but 84 games should solve this
No way NHL is going to be suddenly asking less when they gotten 650m from Seattle. And it wasn't never confirmed that quebec fee would still be 500m. No way they are going to be asking less for quebec than what Seattle paid.
Houston is double the size of the Seattle TV market.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
then it happens in three years. NHL needs to stay ahead of the MLS

it does, but 84 games should solve this
Houston is double the size of the Seattle TV market.

Yea the price of Houston should be higher than Seattle just on TV market alone but that doesn't mean Houston is willing to pay that price.

Last edited:

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I think Fretitta's willingness to add an NHL team will increase if he finds himself wanting a new arena and trying to get the Houston Sport Authority to build him one. He's got 15 years left on that lease, and while I'm sure the venue "is fine," everyone likes shiny new things. A new NHL team could help him get a shiny new arena by 2025 instead of 2035.

Reactions: Llama19

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
I think Fretitta's willingness to add an NHL team will increase if he finds himself wanting a new arena and trying to get the Houston Sport Authority to build him one. He's got 15 years left on that lease, and while I'm sure the venue "is fine," everyone likes shiny new things. A new NHL team could help him get a shiny new arena by 2025 instead of 2035.

They are going the major renovation route like most of the 90's arenas have in NHL/NBA(Ottawa excluded because of location). Too good a location, not enough land for a new one according to Fretitta.

Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta teases future of Toyota Center as stadium turns 15

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Yea the price of Houston should be higher than Seattle just on TV market alone but that doesn't mean Houston is willing to pay that price.
You can justify Houston paying without undercutting franchise value by pointing out that Seattle was the group that dated the process by 2 years and not the NHL, so they're paying more.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Says 33 teams in not a issue .

Not an issue when they finally just balanced it with Seattle? No pro sport has ever gone beyond 32. I don't see why its necessary to expand just for the sake of expanding and leaving no possiblities to relocate a team while keeping it balanced. Sorry but i don't adding another team to the league is necessary.

Reactions: 13 others

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
Not an issue when they finally just balanced it with Seattle? No pro sport has ever gone beyond 32. I don't see why its necessary to expand just for the sake of expanding and leaving no possiblities to relocate a team while keeping it balanced. Sorry but i don't adding another team to the league is necessary.

But IF you are confident everyone is secure you have to expand for Houston if they want a team. No way can you leave a market that big open just for the sake of symmetry.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
But IF you are confident everyone is secure you have to expand for Houston if they want a team. No way can you leave a market that big open just for the sake of symmetry.

You might as well go to 36 teams and drop the expansion price and tick off Seattle in the process if they want to expand again.

If they think they are going to get 650m or higher from Houston then they are ridiculous. They got away with it from Seattle cause Seattle is an unique case.

MikeCubs

May 30, 2018
You might as well go to 36 teams and drop the expansion price and tick off Seattle in the process if they want to expand again.

If they think they are going to get 650m or higher from Houston then they are ridiculous. They got away with it from Seattle cause Seattle is an unique case.

We will see. I just can't see the NHL leaving Houston blank. It's bad business. Maybe Seattle looks at it like more money for us on the next American TV deal with Houston filled instead of this is unfair to us if they do drop the expansion price a bit. We don't even know for sure if Houston won't pay the $650M

Reactions: Melrose Munch

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
After their last team was kicked out of the arena i don't think so. Nevermind who's going to pay 650m+ for a expansion team. There were only 2 willing to turn in a bid when it was only at 500. Seattle at 650 but it was only Seattle be allowed to turn in a bid I doubt any one else was willing to turn one in anyways.
Well, the Hawks have new owner so, maybe they are willing to share.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Again,

Last we heard, these two things are true:
Jacobs wants Houston.
Fertitta doesn't necessarily want to pay the price.

How that comes out? We don't know yet. It could be that....

1- Fertitta was actually negotiating with his statements. Or.....
2- Fertitta was being honest, and doesn't think 500+ Million works for him. Or.....
3- Jacobs is trying to put some pressure on Fertitta with Houston fans.

The comments about 'no need for relocation' are absurd, obviously. The league, through Houston, is trying to put pressure on Calgary (and it may be working).
And, we still have reason to believe that, if Fertitta offered 500M for the Coyotes tomorrow, they would be playing in Houston next year.

So, anyone who thinks they can figure out what's going to happen is just guessing. Even the BOG doesn't really know how this will all fall.....

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ugh.... Ken Campbell..... he believes what Jacobs says..... depending on what he says. :help:

That's Campbell talking.
Yea i doubt a owner would really go into that specific especially when they are only adding Seattle this year. If they wanted 33 they would have done both Seattle and houston. 34 if they wanted quebec as well.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Again,

Last we heard, these two things are true:
Jacobs wants Houston.
Fertitta doesn't necessarily want to pay the price.

How that comes out? We don't know yet. It could be that....

1- Fertitta was actually negotiating with his statements. Or.....
2- Fertitta was being honest, and doesn't think 500+ Million works for him. Or.....
3- Jacobs is trying to put some pressure on Fertitta with Houston fans.

The comments about 'no need for relocation' are absurd, obviously. The league, through Houston, is trying to put pressure on Calgary (and it may be working).
And, we still have reason to believe that, if Fertitta offered 500M for the Coyotes tomorrow, they would be playing in Houston next year.

So, anyone who thinks they can figure out what's going to happen is just guessing. Even the BOG doesn't really know how this will all fall.....

The NHL is playing Chess while everyone else is playing Checkers...

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans

No sport has gone beyond 32 because NBA and MLB don't have non-top 50 markets without pro team saturation that will support a team like Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa and Winnipeg support the Flames, Oilers, Sens and Jets. And the Nordiques in Quebec.

I wouldn't say it's "necessary" (like the NHL better get into Houston or they're screwed forever, cause that's insane). But growth is good. Adding a market that big is good. Having a balanced league with Houston and Quebec would be good.

I think this is the first time that the NHL has been pushing forward with this long-term basic plan that had vision, as opposed to the 90s free-for-all expansion, where it was "we need teams, who's got money? You've got money? Have an NHL team. Who cares what it does to the alignments? We'll just dump 4 brand new teams into a new division that alienates fans and wonder why teams don't grow their fan bases later."

You add Vegas, then Seattle 3 years later, and then Quebec or Houston in three years and the other one three years after that in a stable, steady growth rather than 5 teams in four years, and 4 teams in 3 years like like the 90s saw.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeCubs

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Wouldn't it been better if they did that with #32 being a open bid instead of only seattle.

Politics in Seattle. City council won't sign off on the final documents for the remodel if there isn't a pro sports team as the main tenant.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Wouldn't it been better if they did that with #32 being a open bid instead of only seattle.
Politics in Seattle. City council won't sign off on the final documents for the remodel if there isn't a pro sports team as the main tenant.

Pretty much....

Seattle has a unique process. I doubt Houston has a political climate anywhere near that, but that's only speculation on my part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad