Prospect Info: Jeremy Bracco - RW - Kitchener Rangers

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Not every player in the league is a defensive stud. You can protect poor defensive players by putting them with good two way forwards and if that elite offensive player is a high possession player it'll help his defensive game as well.

All Bracco has to do is become a mediocre defender

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This is pretty much my feeling. It's one thing to give a minimal effort in the defensive zone, and need coaching to get you going, but it's quite another to need a compass to find the defensive zone, because you seemingly have no interest.

If he's the prospect some of our fanbase thinks he is, he'll make a good piece for a trade.

I have no idea how he would beat out our other more complete wing prospects

While don't think he's a lock for the Leafs or NHL by any chance: but to answer your last question it will come down to his ability to transition his offensive skill to the pros - or if he's able to put up 15-20ish more points a season than another player he'll find his way to a roster spot. Especially if he even comes close to being an average player defensively.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Not every player in the league is a defensive stud. You can protect poor defensive players by putting them with good two way forwards and if that elite offensive player is a high possession player it'll help his defensive game as well.

All Bracco has to do is become a mediocre defender

So this board can kick and scream about how Marner/Matthews/Nylander/etc., has to "carry" him, and he's just a passenger on his line?

Where have we heard this song before?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
This is pretty much my feeling. It's one thing to give a minimal effort in the defensive zone, and need coaching to get you going, but it's quite another to need a compass to find the defensive zone, because you seemingly have no interest.

If he's the prospect some of our fanbase thinks he is, he'll make a good piece for a trade.

I have no idea how he would beat out our other more complete wing prospects

By becoming a pro and being willing to become the player that beats out the others.

Kapanen is night and day different from when he started with the Marlies and is a good comparison for how 2 solid years down there with the right attitude can help any player gain the skills he's missing to get a shot under Babcock.

See, that's a part of the great thing that's going on here. If you're not willing to put that work in then we're so deep that you don't even get a shot without putting that time in. We've been missing that level of accountability as we've never been this deep in prospects but going forward players like Bracco will need to prove more then simply having great CHL scoring totals to really get a long look from Babcock.

It's an amazing time to be a Leafs fan.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
So this board can kick and scream about how Marner/Matthews/Nylander/etc., has to "carry" him, and he's just a passenger on his line?

People should be more concerned with the opinions of our front office vs the opinions of other fans.

Half this fan base would have cut Hyman.

The other half tends to see his value.

But neither side is completely right or wrong.

Waiting out the extreme opinions on this board is probably the best lesson in patience that one can learn online.

There's not always an upward trajectory when it comes to developing hockey players. Some go up and down like a yo-yo. Some level out before hitting another gear. There's just no perfect method.

But it's the overall plan and never simply 1 person or 1 player that's the important thing here.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

If Bracco makes the NHL it'll be on the back of his scoring talent, and he'd only stick if he was a production engine

The legitimate worry about him is probably more along the lines of that he becomes what JVR was in the Kessel years - an offensive threat who has a negative effect on the line's possession and shot attempt differentials.

If that were to materialize and he played with linemates (like Matthews) who were very good possession and corsi players, that would probably mitigate the negative effects. Babcock's systems and expectations would probably force him to play more team defense than he's doing in junior too

I don't see a scenario where we have Hyman type complaints about Bracco, they're strengths and weaknesses are basically inverse

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I don't understand the premature writing off of Bracco. He was drafted 61st overall. He's not a top 10 pick like Marner or Nylander, so stands to reason he'd be less refined than the other two. If you want a 61st overall to exceed expectations and play like he should've been drafted in the top 10, then you have to wait a few years to give him that chance to develop and play like a top 10 (or 20, whatever) pick. That's what the Marlies are for.

We should be seeing the fruits of our 2011 and 2012 draftees in the later rounds now. Bracco *should* still be cooking.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Funny thing is this, five years ago, this guy would probably have been our only prospect and we all would have been oohing and aahing over how talented he is.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Funny thing is this, five years ago, this guy would probably have been our only prospect and we all would have been oohing and aahing over how talented he is.

good point...very Kyle Wellwood-esque as a prospect and think about how much media attention he got, he was the 1B to Steen's 1A in our system then it was a massive drop to the next tier

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Wellwood was a great prospect and even started out as a good NHL player. After the young legs wore off he just didn't take care of himself well enough. If he had, he'd have probably had a very good career.

Weberisbetter*

Dec 8, 2016
I still think that trade was bad for the Leafs. Maybe if they picked Carlo or Aho I would say otherwise, but Konecny looks like a future 60 point winger. He could have been put in a package for a good dman or made Nylander expendable for a really good defensemen.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If Bracco makes the NHL it'll be on the back of his scoring talent, and he'd only stick if he was a production engine

The legitimate worry about him is probably more along the lines of that he becomes what JVR was in the Kessel years - an offensive threat who has a negative effect on the line's possession and shot attempt differentials.

If that were to materialize and he played with linemates (like Matthews) who were very good possession and corsi players, that would probably mitigate the negative effects. Babcock's systems and expectations would probably force him to play more team defense than he's doing in junior too

I don't see a scenario where we have Hyman type complaints about Bracco, they're strengths and weaknesses are basically inverse

On a team that lacks proper defensive cohesion and responsibility, having inverse weakness to Hyman is a nightmare.

Also have a really hard time believing Babcock gives a flying **** about his corsi numbers. That's an element that's obsessed over by message board posters, and to a very small degree, team stats guys.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Wellwood was a great prospect and even started out as a good NHL player. After the young legs wore off he just didn't take care of himself well enough. If he had, he'd have probably had a very good career.

agreed, and I think Bracco could have a similar type of NHL potential. Wellwood could have been a 60+pt offensive player, he was just not a good skater and let himself go. Bracco is a better skater than Wellwood was in terms of speed, and a much better edgework player. Similar work ethic/weight concerns are there, so if Bracco can stay in shape I don't see a reason that he can't be a good offense-first NHL'er

I still think that trade was bad for the Leafs. Maybe if they picked Carlo or Aho I would say otherwise, but Konecny looks like a future 60 point winger. He could have been put in a package for a good dman or made Nylander expendable for a really good defensemen.

probably too early to make that call - if Dermott ends up being a good 2nd pairing Dman that's probably worth a 60pt winger on its own

Bracco has Konecny-esque offensive upside, Konecny is a dogged worker but also has injury concern because he plays recklessly.

tough to make a call that involves non-top 10 picks when we're only 18 months removed from their draft

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
On a team that lacks proper defensive cohesion and responsibility, having inverse weakness to Hyman is a nightmare.

Also have a really hard time believing Babcock gives a flying **** about his corsi numbers. That's an element that's obsessed over by message board posters, and to a very small degree, team stats guys.

Corsi makes me laugh, because NHL teams don't really use it. They each have their own stats that they track, but every team is different and have their own philosophies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

the lack of proper defensive cohesion is really prominent among players that won't be with the team long term. Other than Marner, the core pieces all seem to be finding their defensive game just fine and the team defense is immensely improved under Babcock's regime (have a look at team CF%/FF% in the last 2 years vs the few years before)

I would agree that putting Bracco, if he turns out, on a line like JVR-Bozak-Bracco would be asking for trouble, but I don't see that being a problem in our future top 6

I will wholeheartedly disagree that NHL clubs don't care about advanced stats if that's what you mean, especially one that seems to be grooming a future GM who is a regular attendee and speaker at advanced stats conferences. Given that Babcock decided to join a team that already had that future GM in the senior staff, it doesn't make a lot of sense that he doesn't give any credence to advanced stats when choosing a long term home in an organization that does

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
the lack of proper defensive cohesion is really prominent among players that won't be with the team long term. Other than Marner, the core pieces all seem to be finding their defensive game just fine and the team defense is immensely improved under Babcock's regime (have a look at team CF%/FF% in the last 2 years vs the few years before)

I would agree that putting Bracco, if he turns out, on a line like JVR-Bozak-Bracco would be asking for trouble, but I don't see that being a problem in our future top 6

I will wholeheartedly disagree that NHL clubs don't care about advanced stats if that's what you mean, especially one that seems to be grooming a future GM who is a regular attendee and speaker at advanced stats conferences. Given that Babcock decided to join a team that already had that future GM in the senior staff, it doesn't make a lot of sense that he doesn't give any credence to advanced stats when choosing a long term home in an organization that does

I'm nearly 100% positive that Babcock makes just about every evaluation of his players based on their on-ice impact. Numbers are for the guys in the office.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

maybe, but I don't think so.
Still like the leafs strategy, and wouldn't be shocked if in 5 years Bracco was considered an equal or better.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'm nearly 100% positive that Babcock makes just about every evaluation of his players based on their on-ice impact. Numbers are for the guys in the office.

Numbers are an attempt to quantify what's happening on the ice, they're not exclusive of eachother

I'm not going to speculate as to how much Babcock uses the actual numbers or how much he leaves to the analytics dept but he joined an organization that uses those in player evaluation and scouting, don't think it's reasonable to say that he doesn't believe in their value - joining this organization meant working with people who are huge stat-believers for a long time

Anyway, Bracco probably does not project as a corsi stud by any stretch, but our future top 6/top 9 looks like it will be defensively competent and adding a star level scoring winger to that may well be worth the hit to team defense that would come with it if Bracco turns out

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I love his quote about guys his size needing to prove they can play, while someone 6'5" has to prove he can't.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Well if he's driving scoring he won't be a "passenger"will he?

he will never be driving scoring though, Matthews, Nylander and Marner are far far better defenisvely but also all 3 are better offensively. Bracco is a near elite forward unfortunately for him we have at least 3 already, so we wont need 2 way players to protect him because we are desperate for his offense, we wont be.

We really dont need him at all unless his dplay gets better thats the great thing about having such a strong propsect pool we wont have to play him and defend his deficiencies (ala Kessel), i bet all my Vcash he will be traded at some point in the next 2-3 years

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
he will never be driving scoring though, Matthews, Nylander and Marner are far far better defenisvely but also all 3 are better offensively. Bracco is a near elite forward unfortunately for him we have at least 3 already, so we wont need 2 way players to protect him because we are desperate for his offense, we wont be.

We really dont need him at all unless his dplay gets better thats the great thing about having such a strong propsect pool we wont have to play him and defend his deficiencies (ala Kessel), i bet all my Vcash he will be traded at some point in the next 2-3 years

Seeing as how two of the above will be centers and on different lines we most definitely will need scoring wingers to help support and round out a line. He will be working on his play away from the puck this year and the next while playing on the Marlies and if he continues to score we will have a roster spot for him playing with at least one of our top 3 youngsters.

Why are people writing him off before he even plays one game of pro hockey?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If "hometown" means anything, lets's hope the Isles think Bracco is an NHLer. Without expansion protection lists finalized, maybe Hamonic might be the "4" Dman on the Isles. Love to see the Leafs get Hamonic, and the Leafs do have prospects to trade if the Isles rebuild.

Kapanen, 20 year old snipers you don't trade. Leafs have the potential of of some really balanced high scoring lines. And lots of guys of the PP....Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Kapanen. Throw in big bodies, could be a constant top 5 in PP efficiency.

If only the Dman could hit the net with the puck.

Bracco does not equal Hamonic (and I love Bracco).

Agreed. Leafs will need more & need to add.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad