Prospect Info: Jeremy Bracco - RW - Kitchener Rangers

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yep.

Though considering he made an appearance at a Leafs practice at some point this year I suspect Bob may be onto something

I dont know where we are at contract wise, so it's probably going to be after March 1st)

Agreed. I really hope he continues to work on his consistency, as that's has been his biggest negative. If he can also improve his board play and willing to mock it up in dirty areas as you said, that would be fantastic.

Also agree with Marner comparisons, don't really see it other then vision/passing.

apparently (again according to Bob), he's really elite at playmaking. (so passing). He also has that rare ability to get faster with his feet in the 10/2 position, where most players slow down - he picks up speed. so that's something different, I guess. I don't know if he would really have to muck it up in the dirty areas per se - (though that would be helpful), but just be consistent and defensively sound that should be good enough, yah?

I am pretty sure that Bracco will be signed and will play in the AHL next season. I expect him to spend two seasons in the A before he gets a sniff in the NHL.

probably. that wouldn't surprise me. there's a lot of players for him to leap ahead of.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
apparently (again according to Bob), he's really elite at playmaking. (so passing). He also has that rare ability to get faster with his feet in the 10/2 position, where most players slow down - he picks up speed. so that's something different, I guess. I don't know if he would really have to muck it up in the dirty areas per se - (though that would be helpful), but just be consistent and defensively sound that should be good enough, yah?

The part about mocking up in corners and board battle was in reference to Kappy to what Leafs93 stated.

But Bracco really does shy away from any contact, unlike Marner who is capable of having board battles. Bracco also doesn't hold a candle to Marner's motor.

I was extremely impressed with Bracco's edge work though yesterday. While I don't particularly see Marner comparisons, I still have high hopes for Bracco and really hope to see him improve his overall game :nod:

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
I'm happy with the Bracco pick, but I think he's a long shot to make the NHL and is going to be a bit of a project. Whether he makes it into the NHL is going to depend on his commitment to his play without the puck and willingness to engage physically along the wall. The AHL is going to reveal what kind of player he will be very quickly.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I'm happy with the Bracco pick, but I think he's a long shot to make the NHL and is going to be a bit of a project. Whether he makes it into the NHL is going to depend on his commitment to his play without the puck and willingness to engage physically along the wall. The AHL is going to reveal what kind of player he will be very quickly.

He's been the player he is now for quite a long time. Hard to imagine his habits and the laziness in his own end magically disappear.

We can hope...

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

It might now happen right away but Bracco will tear up the AHL, not a single doubt in my mind about it. He's just too smart and too skilled not to.

It's how he adapts to the NHL level that will dictate what type of player he is.

People need to understand that you cannot teach that type of elite talent, he's but up elite numbers at every level for a reason.

No one expects Bracco to make the jump into the NHL right-away, but players with his talent are always worth taking a flyer on. His skill until the day he retires as a hockey player will be elite, now it's up to Bracco and the Leafs to put the rest of his game all together.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
It might now happen right away but Bracco will tear up the AHL, not a single doubt in my mind about it. He's just too smart and too skilled not to.

It's how he adapts to the NHL level that will dictate what type of player he is.

People need to understand that you cannot teach that type of elite talent, he's but up elite numbers at every level for a reason.

No one expects Bracco to make the jump into the NHL right-away, but players with his talent are always worth taking a flyer on. His skill until the day he retires as a hockey player will be elite, now it's up to Bracco and the Leafs to put the rest of his game all together.

Well, in a way, you're correct in asserting he's very talented, it's true, you can't really teach certain aspects, but you can certainly coach defensive ability, and for some reason, nobody's been able to do that with him.

Last edited:

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
If William Nylander isn't going by Mike Babcock, no way, nerdy boy, Bracco is. Just way too much talent out there now to have to put up with offensive 60 feet players.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If William Nylander isn't going by Mike Babcock, no way, nerdy boy, Bracco is. Just way too much talent out there now to have to put up with offensive 60 feet players.

Nerdy boy?

In any case I agree he probably will need a huge step in defensive developement to be considered to play for the leafs. High end scoring prospects are pretty tantalizing to teams with no much scoring talent in their system (typical Nashville or New Jersey) he may be that little bit extra in a package to get a good top 4 dman or even a near blue chip dman prospect

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I watched a highlight reel Seer posted on his offensive game. He is elite offensive talent with no pro expierence until likely next season, nuff said. He needs seasoning in the Ahl and there is time to develop him lots. It is our good fortune to be already loaded with great young offensive talent. We will not need to rush any elite scoring talent that has defensive deficiencies.

Prospects will be polished in the future because of that good fortune. We will probably still be winning without rushing anyone because we are seeing a build with longevity as the basis of it. So big deal if a prospect is not strong enough, or weak defensively or his skating needs work.

I think the leafs are in to developing men and good people as much as skill. Hard work and determination are a couple attributes you would think they would want. There is all the time in the world to develop the next tier of prospects we have.

I suspect if we ever do win a championship it will be a very classy group that does it. I don't worry that the e leafs know how to handle development paths of our prospects any longer. Bracco will be depleted of any poor habits before he sticks.

There is not going to be any free rides when it comes to playing right like Babs like to say so much. I think Bracco easily develops what they need him to. Likely he will be a very good top 9 forward soon enough. He iis not a perimeter player like i seen said in here.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Lets all agree to agree. This present management is going to get the job done.

Bracco will not be given any free passes. There is one thing we lack and that is Bracco's at over six feet and tought gnarled.

If Bracco gets by Babcock I am a big fan. But he might have to go through an AHL experience. Heck we as citizens should all go thought an AHL summer.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Lets all agree to agree. This present management is going to get the job done.

Bracco will not be given any free passes. There is one thing we lack and that is Bracco's at over six feet and tought gnarled.

If Bracco gets by Babcock I am a big fan. But he might have to go through an AHL experience. Heck we as citizens should all go thought an AHL summer.

Kapanen is 6'1", dzierkals is 6', korshkov is pretty talented in his own right at 6'4" grundstrom is 6'/6'1" depending what you reas

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You can teach two way play: can't teach the natural skill that he has.

He's a developing prospect still and doing so nicely. No need to claim he's going to clash with Babcock until the two come face to face.

He's visited the Leafs facilities this season so obviously management has taken a shine to him.

edit:typo

Last edited:

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
This guy is good friends with Matthews and Marner. Do you really think he will settle for a career in the AHL or Swiss League while his buddies become NHL stars? He will learn defence. Don't worry.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The guy is also 19. It's not exactly uncommon that a teenaged hockey prospect needs to work on his two-way game.

I'll be worried if this is the case still in two years. Until then, that's just something he'll need to work on going forward.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The guy is also 19. It's not exactly uncommon that a teenaged hockey prospect needs to work on his two-way game.

I'll be worried if this is the case still in two years. Until then, that's just something he'll need to work on going forward.

Spot on.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Did he poop in your cheerios one morning or something? You really don't like the guy eh

I've never been a big fan. He's known what he's had to work on to develop and hasn't done it. That says a lot.

Some people just don't value certain prospects for their own reasons. If he's as excellent as he's made out to be, he'll be great "make-weight" in a deal. That's the route we should take with him. Our lineup doesn't need another (not at all) mighty mouse.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Babcock likes big players as he constantly references height when praising what he likes about various players.

There is only go to limited room on the Leafs roster for small players like Bracco when the Leafs are ready to compete and the way the team is constructed.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

And that's the thing: folks are acting like he's a fully developed guy. At not even 20 he's got time to round out his game - it's the entire point of development.

I don't have an issue with his size either.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I dont know where we are at contract wise, so it's probably going to be after March 1st)

probably. that wouldn't surprise me. there's a lot of players for him to leap ahead of.

contract wise it wouldnt matter because he is playing in the CHL so it wouldn't count against our 50 limit

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
And that's the thing: folks are acting like he's a fully developed guy. At not even 20 he's got time to round out his game - it's the entire point of development.

I don't have an issue with his size either.

all true points but Bracco doesn't even try to go back into the Dzone so he is further back than your average 19 yr old prospect, i just cant see him making that big of a jump defensively.

He will be the perfect prospect to trade, entice a team that doesnt have the greatest offense/offensive prospects and we may be able to get a d prospect for him, or he could be a great extra piece in a trade for a top dman

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
all true points but Bracco doesn't even try to go back into the Dzone so he is further back than your average 19 yr old prospect, i just cant see him making that big of a jump defensively.

He will be the perfect prospect to trade, entice a team that doesnt have the greatest offense/offensive prospects and we may be able to get a d prospect for him, or he could be a great extra piece in a trade for a top dman

This is pretty much my feeling. It's one thing to give a minimal effort in the defensive zone, and need coaching to get you going, but it's quite another to need a compass to find the defensive zone, because you seemingly have no interest.

If he's the prospect some of our fanbase thinks he is, he'll make a good piece for a trade.

I have no idea how he would beat out our other more complete wing prospects

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad