Prospect Info: Jeremy Bracco - RW - Kitchener Rangers

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I really don't think anyone's hyper bi-polar at all. I don't think not being impressed by a prospect for reasonable reasons is off-base.

The endless blind homerism/optimism is far more concerning. It's what leads people to belittle others when they don't see a future in Stuart Percy. It's what starts arguments about how Tyler Biggs is destined for the league.

There are damn good reasons NOT to like Bracco's game, and people aren't mentally ill for not agreeing with you.

Biggs and Percy both had unfix able issues....bad feet toss in Finn as well. Not the same for Bracco, he can skate and thinks the game well, teaching him to play better away from the puck comes down to desire...everything I see from him tells me that he has that desire, time will tell, but 100% the issues are so different.

I am not saying he is a can not miss but there is nothing that I can put finger on that can not be fixed if he is willing.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nobody is closing any doors. It's just something that he's shown no interest in working on in the past, and given that believing his coaches haven't attempted to help him play a more complete, pro game is absurd, it's fair to say that there's a better than good chance he'll be what he's always been.

If I have faith in Marner getting to a point where he has an NHL shot and doesn't make bad snap decisions, well, then I can have patience with Bracco to shore up defensively.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
In the 2015 pre draft Black Book, there was an interesting quote from an NHL scout to the effect that Bracco could be drafted at a wide range of positions, from early second to the fourth rouund. Bracco ended up being drafted at 61 overall, the last pick of the second round that year. That was pretty much the middle of the range the scout had predicted. That's worth remembering about Bracco; he was actually a late second rounder. Some publications had him as a first rounder and there was a group here which wanted him at the #24 pick the Leafs owned going into the draft. (I always felt that a couple of the writers about Bracco needed to take a cold shower.). But despite all that, he wasn't a first rounder; he was a late second rounder and we ought to have the kind of expectations for him that we have for other picks taken in that range.

I think you can adopt one of two different strategies for drafting in roughly that area. You can take the all around player who is pretty good at everything, but not superior in any particular area. Or, on the other hand, you can take a player who has NHL level talent in at least one area but obvious weaknesses in other areas. The Leafs took the latter strategy with Bracco and, FWIW, I like the strategy. He clearly has NHL level vision, passing skill and offensive sense. Bob M called it "elite" the other day on 1050. But that means there would be flaws also, size and strength, top end skating speed, defensive play. There were also rumour about some attitude issues but those remain just that, rumours. Those areas need work. By the way, the same is true about the other picks the Leafs made shortly after Bracco. Dzierkals and Nielsen, though the particular strengths and weaknesses are different.

Some of us have had unrealistic expectations. There are posters who think Bracco ought to be with the Marlies, for example. (Would it be useful to Bracco's development to have him sitting the number of games the arguably more advanced Timashov has been sitting?) Very rightly, IMO, the Leafs kept him in junior to develop his game. By the way, developing your game doesn't only mean working on your weaknesses; it also means enhancing your strengths. To a degree this has happened. Bracco was a very good player on offense last year. This year he is dominant on O. That is clear development. I doubt that Bracco is the 6'0", 190, that a member of his extended family has claimed but he does look a little bigger and stronger to me. It isn't all blue skies, of course. I'm disappointed to hear from the posters who watch him regularly that he isn't showing much greater interest in the defensive side of the game.

But it is only a season and a half since the draft. He has time to develop. In junior he is such an offensive force that no coach is likely to bench him. I doubt that will be the case in the AHL. Some time on the pine or in the press box may be very persuasive for a kid who has doubtless been a star on every team he has played on.

Bracco may not make the NHL. Most late second rounders don't, after all. If he does, it may not be with the Leafs. Putting him in a package for defensive help may be the right move. You have to give something to get something in a trade. But there is no reason to lose patience at this point.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
In the 2015 pre draft Black Book, there was an interesting quote from an NHL scout to the effect that Bracco could be drafted at a wide range of positions, from early second to the fourth rouund. Bracco ended up being drafted at 61 overall, the last pick of the second round that year. That was pretty much the middle of the range the scout had predicted. That's worth remembering about Bracco; he was actually a late second rounder. Some publications had him as a first rounder and there was a group here which wanted him at the #24 pick the Leafs owned going into the draft. (I always felt that a couple of the writers about Bracco needed to take a cold shower.). But despite all that, he wasn't a first rounder; he was a late second rounder and we ought to have the kind of expectations for him that we have for other picks taken in that range.

I think you can adopt one of two different strategies for drafting in roughly that area. You can take the all around player who is pretty good at everything, but not superior in any particular area. Or, on the other hand, you can take a player who has NHL level talent in at least one area but obvious weaknesses in other areas. The Leafs took the latter strategy with Bracco and, FWIW, I like the strategy. He clearly has NHL level vision, passing skill and offensive sense. Bob M called it "elite" the other day on 1050. But that means there would be flaws also, size and strength, top end skating speed, defensive play. There were also rumour about some attitude issues but those remain just that, rumours. Those areas need work. By the way, the same is true about the other picks the Leafs made shortly after Bracco. Dzierkals and Nielsen, though the particular strengths and weaknesses are different.

Some of us have had unrealistic expectations. There are posters who think Bracco ought to be with the Marlies, for example. (Would it be useful to Bracco's development to have him sitting the number of games the arguably more advanced Timashov has been sitting?) Very rightly, IMO, the Leafs kept him in junior to develop his game. By the way, developing your game doesn't only mean working on your weaknesses; it also means enhancing your strengths. To a degree this has happened. Bracco was a very good player on offense last year. This year he is dominant on O. That is clear development. I doubt that Bracco is the 6'0", 190, that a member of his extended family has claimed but he does look a little bigger and stronger to me. It isn't all blue skies, of course. I'm disappointed to hear from the posters who watch him regularly that he isn't showing much greater interest in the defensive side of the game.

But it is only a season and a half since the draft. He has time to develop. In junior he is such an offensive force that no coach is likely to bench him. I doubt that will be the case in the AHL. Some time on the pine or in the press box may be very persuasive for a kid who has doubtless been a star on every team he has played on.

Bracco may not make the NHL. Most late second rounders don't, after all. If he does, it may not be with the Leafs. Putting him in a package for defensive help may be the right move. You have to give something to get something in a trade. But there is no reason to lose patience at this point.

I think you're right on about Bracco being with the Marlies, he had more to prove in the OHL even if there was space on the Marlies top 6 (which there isn't, hence why Timashov isn't getting those minutes)

Bracco is a lottery ticket like all prospects are, he may be one with longer odds and a bigger jackpot than most. Ultimately he's going to have to conform to the organizational way of playing if he wants to rise and his AHL numbers (assuming that's the route they decide to go with him) are likely to not be great in his first year on the Marlies (as we've seen with Kapanen, Timashov, Johnsson) while they play him sporadically and in a checking role

For now, I think we should all enjoy that he's doing the one thing that he could in the place that the organization decided to put him - have a dominant OHL season. One step at a time, and he's not stumbling - his stock is rising in the process and that gives the organization options

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Biggs and Percy both had unfix able issues....bad feet toss in Finn as well. Not the same for Bracco, he can skate and thinks the game well, teaching him to play better away from the puck comes down to desire...everything I see from him tells me that he has that desire, time will tell, but 100% the issues are so different.

I am not saying he is a can not miss but there is nothing that I can put finger on that can not be fixed if he is willing.

He can skate side ways no doubt, but his strait ahead skating Is mediocre from what I've seen, doesn't show a lot of bite when it comes to going to prime scoring areas.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

If he had that desire to play better away from the puck why isn't he working on it in the OHL? By all accounts he still doesn't compete in the corners or defensively. I'm 95% certain that this kid isn't going to play for Babcock and even if he does, he'll be a mainstay in his dog house.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
He can skate side ways no doubt, but his strait ahead skating Is mediocre from what I've seen, doesn't show a lot of bite when it comes to going to prime scoring areas.

No it's not actually. His skating is on marners level from what I've seen.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If he had that desire to play better away from the puck why isn't he working on it in the OHL? By all accounts he still doesn't compete in the corners or defensively. I'm 95% certain that this kid isn't going to play for Babcock and even if he does, he'll be a mainstay in his dog house.

This is what's concerning. It's not physical limitation holding him back. It's that he doesn't seem to care to work on his game. He is the anti-Babcock player.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

I stated that he has a desire, he has not yet been made to play better away from the puck and we will see how he responds to that request. He competes in corners and goes to the dirty areas of the ice when required.

How you can be 95% certain that he is not going to play for Babs when he has yet to play a pro game is crazy...until he has been asked to change his spots and he fails to do so, then and only then can we form an opinion based on observations.

To me it will all come down to, does he want to be an NHL player, as he has the skill and skating to be one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad