Jeremy Bracco next year?

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
I think next year Bracco is 'the man' on the Marlies.

If he does well maybe he gets a late season call up. If not, another year as the man.

I think he could be a great third line depth scoring option if his two way play develops.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
from his draft year...

"Jeremy Bracco, an exceptional offensive wizard blessed with an off-the-charts IQ and considerably more creativity than most in his draft class, is always noticeable when he’s on the ice. In a weaker draft year, Bracco would likely be a top-10 pick, especially since general managers’ needs are trending toward skill and smarts over size and physicality."
more at: The Draft Analyst | Draft profile: Jeremy Bracco

Not sure if he has lived up to or translated that projection to the professional ranks yet. I have to agree that if he was in that class (article goes on to compare him to the Barzal/Marner/Merkley class of undersized playmakers) he would have found a way through the ranks, but I suppose size and strength for him are more of an issue than it was with Marner (now 6' if I am not mistaken). Barzal is 6' as well.

Is he just being "overcooked"? I think an argument can be made for that. He, like Nylander are paying their dues at the AHL level. Will he get a chance this year?..Injuries happen. but as I said before, Bracco will get a chance when we are forced to trade one of Kapanen, Johnsson or Brown because we can't afford them in a year or two.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
This is how I've always viewed him as well.
Hope he surprises me, not holding my breath.
It doesn't help that our RW (esp. our top 6) will be stacked for years to come.
Unless a situation where kapanen or Brown become too expensive and are dealt.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
This is a big year for Bracco; if he can emerge as an elite AHL scorer and score ~1 PPG as a 21 year old that shows a lot of promise, but if he regresses or plateaus then it's hard to see him having much of a future here. I had more or less given up on him but this past year showed me that there's still a ton of potential

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
It'll be a good year if he plays top6 minutes for the Marlies. He won't even sniff the NHL this year.

He wasn't even a lineup regular last year and barely played in the playoffs. He put up some great numbers at times in the regular season, but he's going to need to continue to develop his physical attributes and get even better in all three zones to just be a top Marlie. If he puts up pretty good numbers and stays in the lineup for a top6 role this year, that's a solid year. Put him on the Johnsson timeline as a best-case scenario. He has a good year this year, shreds the AHL next year, and makes the NHL the year after that as a 23 year old. We've got tons of time to slow-cook this guy, he's got tons of upside and is easily worth the contract slot. But he is still a long way away from being an NHL player.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It doesn't help that our RW (esp. our top 6) will be stacked for years to come.
Unless a situation where kapanen or Brown become too expensive and are dealt.
You never know what will happen in the future.
In 4 years, Nylander could move to center depending on the Kadri becoming UFA scenario.
For today and many of our prospects + future prospects, just keep developing.
Continue a strong program of asset management and development. Keep the organization stocked with too many good players.

Reactions: Eb

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I dont think his case is similar to AJ or Kapanen. They play at pretty decent defensive game and can also PK. They're pretty reliable players. Bracco is a good passer and a shifty player but I dont think he's close to be getting calls up

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I was at the summer showcase last year in Plymouth. Hardly anyone there, great event. I actually talked to Babcock for a few minutes. I watched Bracco as junior, always liked him. Babcock said he will gradually earn his way up. start out on the Marlies as fourth liner, next year a third liner then the following year first or second line. He thought the Leafs were too deep at forward for him to jump to the NHL in a season or two. I hope Bracco proves him wrong. Just not sure he will.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
This kid should be begging Sheldon Keefe to kill penalties and show other aspects of his game other than putting up some PP points.

Brown, Kappy, Johnsson have all graduated because they have become defensively responsible in addition to their offensive capabilities.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He also has to be better than these guys and fit the role needed to get a call up.
  • Dmytro Timashov
  • Pierre Engvall
  • Adam Brooks
  • Carl Grundström
  • Trevor Moore
  • Mason Marchment

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I'm thinking he has a solid year this season with the Marlies The kid has eyes on the back of his head and looks to me like Marner Lite.
Would be a great third line winger alongside Kadri in a couple of years.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My feeling is they drafted Jeremy Bracco as a dark horse with Alex Debrincat type results in mind in order to possibly fuel the rebuild with more finesse skills.

Not really sure what to expect with a slow developing, undersized skill winger, but the good thing is we have the luxury to be patient.

Reactions: Menzinger

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Keefe said " You know, he's a young guy that has worked extremely hard off the ice, and we have tried to get him up to speed as much as we can. I am not one bit concerned about how much of Jeremy Bracco produces offensively. I am more worried about the details in his game, and i'm really happy with the progress he had made in that. The offense is gonna come. He's an elite offensive player. As he adjusts to the league, and gets stronger and faster, that stuff is gonna come out, but we've been really happy with his progress so far.

The coach likes him.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Bracco and I have our birthdays on the same day so I've always rooted for him!
You can see he has impressive offensive skills with his passing and IQ but I'm not sure if he had the whole package to be a legit nhler. Hope he makes it though, can never have to much skill.

Also would be cool if he does make the team. Matthews and him used to play, would be cool to re unite them!

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I think Bracco gets moved in a package, to be honest.

What an embarrassment of prospect riches when a guy of bracco’s calibre can’t get into the lineup.

Would love to see him dominate on the Marlins this year and get a late season or injury call up, but there are so many others on the depth charts, it’s just nuts.

pulfordfan

Sep 28, 2017
Rjukan Norway
Don't watch much Marlies games, only seen Bracco a few time, what I've seen is a shifty perimeter player. Not sure if he does dirty work in the corners to dig it out, but that's what he needs to show if he wants a spot

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I doubt he sees NHL ice this season, but guys like him and Timashov will be the next generation of callups/cheap depth (likely 2 seasons from now).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad