Jeremy Bracco next year?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Really? They are so close in age and unless Marner get a career ending injury or he goes for the money like JT did, he being a TO guy I doubt he will be replaced until he retires, could be wrong, that's what my wife tells me all the time. But even a broken clock is right twice a day.:)
To be honest I don't see Bracco replacing either Marner or nylander. I was commenting that if he was to replace one, his style is more similar to Marner than Nylander.
Imo you don't get rid of talent like Nylander and Marner especially as rfa's

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
For some reason Bracco has always been a player who garners over the top reactions on this board and elsewhere. A number of his fans are ultra enthusiastic and his detractors unreasonably dismissive. Some of the fans act like a mother bear whose cubs are threatened if Bracco is criticized, and some of the doubters won’t give him the chance to develop they will cheerfully accord to much less skilled prospects. This can be seen in this thread but it goes back at least to his draft year.

I think this may be because he is like a baseball prospect with one outstanding gift on the baseball 80 point rating scale but average or perhaps lower in other areas. Bracco is a 65 or 70 in playmaking on that scale. (For the mother bears out there, that is very high, representing well above major league average.). In other areas, not so much. One group looks at one area, and the other posters at others.

I think it is possible that his remarkable playmaking gifts will carry him to a productive NHL career. It is also possible the other areas will mean he doesn’t get a real chance. We’ll see. My guess is that with a number of Marlies graduating, he will get more and better playing time this year. I think it is a very possible he will extend over a season the near ppg production he displayed in the 12 game stretch at the end of the regular season. If he does so, I think he may also get a short term call up with the Leafs as an injury replacement and a more realistic shot at making the team the year after. (Or he will be a valuable piece in a trade.) If he doesn’t them maybe the “He’s an AHLer,” guys are right.

Reactions: Eb

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Bracco is not a career AHLer. He's nearly productive enough -- and has been, throughout his career -- to make it on offensive talent, and he does have a defensive game. He was a great pick, and he has shown a lot to indicate that he's going to make the show.

You did say Matthews is a terrible passer so not sure if we should trust you on prospect analysis.

Well, he is right now. He's only played as high as AHL LOL. In the same vein, all the players who have only made it to the AHL are career AHL players, until they make the next step. :sarcasm:

I thought he was a steal where they grabbed him, kind of like when the Leafs drafted Finn in the 2nd. round many thought was he was 1st. round talent.

He's talented, is a RH shot, and shows he's a playmaker.
His size is decent, 5'10, 190 lbs. is pretty solid, Berezin's size, and Berezin did fine in the hitch-a-ride era.

I expect he'll be top 3-4 in points with the Marlies this year, and wouldn't be surprised if he leads the team in points, especially if the new guys are shooters (Grundstrom, Engval).

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
For some reason Bracco has always been a player who garners over the top reactions on this board and elsewhere. A number of his fans are ultra enthusiastic and his detractors unreasonably dismissive. Some of the fans act like a mother bear whose cubs are threatened if Bracco is criticized, and some of the doubters won’t give him the chance to develop they will cheerfully accord to much less skilled prospects. This can be seen in this thread but it goes back at least to his draft year.

I think this may be because he is like a baseball prospect with one outstanding gift on the baseball 80 point rating scale but average or perhaps lower in other areas. Bracco is a 65 or 70 in playmaking on that scale. (For the mother bears out there, that is very high, representing well above major league average.). In other areas, not so much. One group looks at one area, and the other posters at others.

I think it is possible that his remarkable playmaking gifts will carry him to a productive NHL career. It is also possible the other areas will mean he doesn’t get a real chance. We’ll see. My guess is that with a number of Marlies graduating, he will get more and better playing time this year. I think it is a very possible he will extend over a season the near ppg production he displayed in the 12 game stretch at the end of the regular season. If he does so, I think he may also get a short term call up with the Leafs as an injury replacement and a more realistic shot at making the team the year after. (Or he will be a valuable piece in a trade.) If he doesn’t them maybe the “He’s an AHLer,” guys are right.

The critics are the problem. If he continues to improve, maybe the "he's a top 6 NHL forward" guys are right.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The critics are the problem. If he continues to improve, maybe the "he will a top 6 forward" guys are right.

You won't be offended if I call, Captain Obvious on that one?

If he keeps improving he'll keep moving up the depth chart.

We can always hope every prospect hits their ceiling ... and then they're assets for use one way or another.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah, the “problem” is always with the other guys. Interesting how it works that way.
Its true though. It is interesting it works that way because thats exactly the case.
Go look at Kadri threads and you will know what I mean. The critics are the problem.

Reactions: Its not your fault

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Well, he is right now. He's only played as high as AHL LOL. In the same vein, all the players who have only made it to the AHL are career AHL players, until they make the next step. :sarcasm:

I thought he was a steal where they grabbed him, kind of like when the Leafs drafted Finn in the 2nd. round many thought was he was 1st. round talent.

He's talented, is a RH shot, and shows he's a playmaker.
His size is decent, 5'10, 190 lbs. is pretty solid, Berezin's size, and Berezin did fine in the hitch-a-ride era.

I expect he'll be top 3-4 in points with the Marlies this year, and wouldn't be surprised if he leads the team in points, especially if the new guys are shooters (Grundstrom, Engval).
Finn was a horrible pick as he was always going to be a project as he had very bad feet. Said so when we drafted him.

He has played one season as a pro on a very stacked team and produced well. He has always had the ability to play with high end talent as he thinks the game at an elite level.

He is a future NHL player. His floor is a scoring winger as a 3rdline player. His ceiling is a 1st line winger. He can play both wings equally well and thinks the game st a very high level.

He should likely lead the Marlies in scoring playing on the top line as well as on the top PP unit.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’ve always been taken back by why so many on here seemed down on the guy.

His development trajectory has been just fine since the draft. He’s been great at rounding out every aspect of his game and still has a chance at being more than a depth winger.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’ve always been taken back by why so many on here seemed down on the guy.

His development trajectory has been just fine since the draft. He’s been great at rounding out every aspect of his game and still has a chance at being more than a depth winger.

Perhaps it is being spoiled ... Rielly, Matthews, Marner at the same time that Bracco has been in view?

Maybe it is being 17th. in goal scoring last year on the Marlies, only 2 ahead of Engval who played 9 games?

People just have to be patient and call it as it is, not how it is perceived. Maybe he's the Leivo of the Marlies we expect these 2 players are really better that they've been given a chance to show?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Some of it might have to do with people hyping up players like Granberg, and thinking he is amazing even though a great team carried him, and then taking shots at players like Bracco with non context stats like "insert number here in points", despite the player being good.

Or maybe people not liking other fans providing optimism for players.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Perhaps it is being spoiled ... Rielly, Matthews, Marner at the same time that Bracco has been in view?

Maybe it is being 17th. in goal scoring last year on the Marlies, only 2 ahead of Engval who played 9 games?

People just have to be patient and call it as it is, not how it is perceived. Maybe he's the Leivo of the Marlies we expect these 2 players are really better that they've been given a chance to show?

The last season he was clearly being highly sheltered by the coaches, to gradually ease him into AHL level play. With him playing a much larger role this season, his production will be a much better indicator nownofnhis path.

That said I do think there’s something to the fact that having guys like Nylander/Marner has sort of distorted how we view these projects in terms of development paths. Most guys who make the NHL don’t usually do so until they turn around 22

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The last season he was clearly being highly sheltered by the coaches, to gradually ease him into AHL level play. With him playing a much larger role this season, his production will be a much better indicator nownofnhis path.

That said I do think there’s something to the fact that having guys like Nylander/Marner has sort of distorted how we view these projects in terms of development paths. Most guys who make the NHL don’t usually do so until they turn around 22

First 10 games
Goals: 0
Assists: 2

Next 42 games
Goals: 6
Assists: 24
Points 30

Their was an adjustment in the first couple months, but after that he really got going.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eb and Menzinger

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
To be honest I don't see Bracco replacing either Marner or nylander. I was commenting that if he was to replace one, his style is more similar to Marner than Nylander.
Imo you don't get rid of talent like Nylander and Marner especially as rfa's

Yeah I can't get my head around why so many fans would want to trade Nylander. The leafs cap is around 55 million at this point. Nylanders contract will most likely land at around 6,5. I say try giving Marner and Nylander very similar contracts and you still have a lot of cap space left to offer Matthews what he's worth. The problem right now is not Nylander imo, but if Matthews/Marner are willing to sign now or wait until next year to increase their value. Then we might have a real problem, right?

If Dubas can sign all 3 now long term then Bracco vs Marner/Nylander is of no discussion anymore. Not bashing Bracco by any means, he's a great talent. But at this point nowhere near their level.
It won't be easy to find a D on the market worth trading away Nylander or Marner for anyway.

Reactions: saltming

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah I can't get my head around why so many fans would want to trade Nylander. The leafs cap is around 55 million at this point. Nylanders contract will most likely land at around 6,5. I say try giving Marner and Nylander very similar contracts and you still have a lot of cap space left to offer Matthews what he's worth. The problem right now is not Nylander imo, but if Matthews/Marner are willing to sign now or wait until next year to increase their value. Then we might have a real problem, right?

If Dubas can sign all 3 now long term then Bracco vs Marner/Nylander is of no discussion anymore. Not bashing Bracco by any means, he's a great talent. But at this point nowhere near their level.
It won't be easy to find a D on the market worth trading away Nylander or Marner for anyway.
The think is adding Bracco for a couple years would be awesome
Tavares Marner
Matthews Nylander
Kadri Bracco

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Tavares Marner
Matthews Nylander
Kadri Bracco

I agree on that. I hope Bracco has a killer season and I don't see a real problem playing him on a third line with Kadri if he's ready. All players on the team should be able to play proper defence and work hard both ways anyway

Reactions: Intellivisionhockey

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I agree on that. I hope Bracco has a killer season and I don't see a real problem playing him on a third line with Kadri if he's ready. All players on the team should be able to play proper defence and work hard both ways anyway
That sounds like a contending team to me!
I need to pinch myself sometimes.

Reactions: Svanstrom

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
Most likely with the Marlies. He's going to have to learn to play a 2 way game is he wants a hope in hell to make the Leafs. His edges in regards to skating are crazy good though. If he improves his top end speed, could be a sleeper pick for us.

Probably should develop a first way before thinking about a second.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
Tavares Marner
Matthews Nylander
Kadri Bracco

Kapanen is already probably better than Bracco tops out at, he just doesn't get the ice time to put up the scoring numbers. He gets to play off the fourth line and you'll see some real good things from him.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Kapanen is already probably better than Bracco tops out at, he just doesn't get the ice time to put up the scoring numbers. He gets to play off the fourth line and you'll see some real good things from him.
I like KK too but Bracco has good upside too. Maybe where KK is now Bracco might not reach but it's too early to say that imo

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'd say Bracco has a higher ceiling than Kap so I don't think that makes too much sense.

He will be getting ice time this coming year on the Marlies and should be a go to guy on the PP. Will be a big year for him.

Reactions: Eb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad