Prospect Info: Jeremie Poirier, D, 72nd Overall

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Reminded that Chabot was the guy Calgary wanted in 2015.

Did they strike gold here? Time will tell, but these are good signs.

Skating for D is pretty essential IMO. Forward is more about IQ and execution more than ever. But D need wheels. He’s a project but he just seems to be able to translate his game to a higher level because he’s got the boots.

I think he’s going to be an NHLer in 3 years or so.

Reactions: Volica

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hope he can get up to speed quickly when he's back and get a callup later in the season(if/when Hanifin is traded). Love his athleticism. His defense still isn't great but it has improved a lot since draft day.

The main thing I thought still needed some work was his puck management. I like a player willing to make a move to beat a guy, but it can't be the option every time and it needs to be weighted risk.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What was his exact injury? A cut and out from October and just started to skate?
Jeremie Poirier suffered a skate laceration of his arm in the game in Abbotsford on October 21st.

Poirier required surgery to repair the laceration. I have to imagine it was a pretty deep cut if its taken 3 months to heal.

Reactions: joescores

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jeremie Poirier suffered a skate laceration of his arm in the game in Abbotsford on October 21st.

Poirier required surgery to repair the laceration. I have to imagine it was a pretty deep cut if its taken 3 months to heal.
Probably not too comparable, but after my carpel tunnel surgery, it was weird to even hold a pen for like 6 months. So it's not just the cut that needs to heal it's all the nerves, muscles, and such that take time.

Last edited:

Khrox

May 31, 2018
So it's not just the cut that needs to heal it's all the nerves, muscles, and such that take time.
That right there is probably why. If it's his arms, it 100% cut through muscle, and depending on how large and how deep the cut is, it could definitely increase that time a fair bit. Hockey players do use their arms a LOT so if it's not healed properly, it would really impact his ability to play

Reactions: Fig

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
At least it being his arm he'd still be able to do cardio (like on a bike, no need to skae) to keep that up. Hopefully he gets back with the Wranglers soon, he would probably already be at least part time on this team if he didn't get injured and we wouldn't have to keep rotating bums like Oesterle in regularly.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
At least it being his arm he'd still be able to do cardio (like on a bike, no need to skae) to keep that up. Hopefully he gets back with the Wranglers soon, he would probably already be at least part time on this team if he didn't get injured and we wouldn't have to keep rotating bums like Oesterle in regularly.
Good point.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Cardio on a bike vs cardio jogging vs cardio skating still takes very different strains on your body. It'll definitely help, but it really hits differently between them. But 100% on the fact that bike cardio is definitely better than no cardio and has likely given him a bit of a head start on the recovery process.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Jeremie Poirier was a welcome sight at Wranglers’ practice this week.

The 21-year-old was on fire to start the season with seven points (1g,6a) in four games, but he suffered a forearm laceration against the Abbotsford Canucks on Oct. 21 that has kept him out of the lineup ever since.

It’s been a long road to recovery for the Flames’ 2020 third-round selection (72nd overall) and Poirier was excited to finally rejoin the group on the ice this week.

“Feels good,” he said. “It’s been a challenging year physically and mentally, obviously, just being away from the game for so long.

“It’s cool to be around the guys and just come to practice every day and have some fun and enjoy it.

“Going to take it pretty easy, ease back into it, get my swagger back a little bit, have some fun and enjoy being around the guys.”
Poirier finished second in rookie defenceman scoring last season with 41 points (9g,31a) in 69 games and has the distinction of scoring the first goal in Wranglers’ franchise history on Oct.16, 2022.

He will be an important piece on an already depleted Wranglers’ blueline but for now (with no confirmed timeline for his return to game action) Poirier is just focused on easing his way back into the mix.

Oh, he intends to enjoy himself while he’s out there, too.

“I’m feeling good, I haven’t skated with people in a long time, so for me to get back its super fun first of all,” he explained.

“Just to go out there and have some fun, don’t put too much pressure on myself, just ease back into it, get the timing back and get used to the systems … I think it’s going pretty well and excited to get back with the guys.”

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad