Prospect Info: Jeremie Poirier, D, 72nd Overall

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Can never go wrong with offensive talent. You can teach defense. Definitely a project, though.

As long as we mandate that he doesn’t wear a helmet in warmups now that we’ve moved to the retros full time, I’m alright with this pick

View attachment 370939

Now we just need to draft Betty and Veronica, we'll have the whole trifecta.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I really like this pick for you guys.

I had him in my top 10, and had him as my highest rated player left on my list going into the second round. To make it to the third round is a joke.

I don't need to tell you guys about his offensive ability. Plenty have already done so, but I want to stress that I think the defensive concerns are way overblown. He has defensive ability. You see it at times. He has the size to play good defense and has good sense on the offensive end, so its not as if he can't make good decisions on the ice. I think the coaching hasn't been great so far, and his defensive effort isn't the same as his offensive effort. He's a project, but there's potential. People have also looped character concerns in because it's easy to compare him to Merkley or DeAngelo, but I've not seen anything real to that. Everything I read about his character is really good.

I'd also remind people who question his defense that DeAngelo has improved his defense into being good enough to be a good NHL'er, and Merkley is tracking that way, as well. Poirier might need a few years, but there's a good recent track record of offensive defensemen with big defensive questions rounding out their defensive game, a little. He has to want to improve and actually improve, but I think it's going to be a lot easier to do than some claim. I think he's going to be a 1st pair defenseman. He could bust, but I'm a big fan. He's one of my favorite players in this draft.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I really like this pick for you guys.

I had him in my top 10, and had him as my highest rated player left on my list going into the second round. To make it to the third round is a joke.

I don't need to tell you guys about his offensive ability. Plenty have already done so, but I want to stress that I think the defensive concerns are way overblown. He has defensive ability. You see it at times. He has the size to play good defense and has good sense on the offensive end, so its not as if he can't make good decisions on the ice. I think the coaching hasn't been great so far, and his defensive effort isn't the same as his offensive effort. He's a project, but there's potential. People have also looped character concerns in because it's easy to compare him to Merkley or DeAngelo, but I've not seen anything real to that. Everything I read about his character is really good.

I'd also remind people who question his defense that DeAngelo has improved his defense into being good enough to be a good NHL'er, and Merkley is tracking that way, as well. Poirier might need a few years, but there's a good recent track record of offensive defensemen with big defensive questions rounding out their defensive game, a little. He has to want to improve and actually improve, but I think it's going to be a lot easier to do than some claim. I think he's going to be a 1st pair defenseman. He could bust, but I'm a big fan. He's one of my favorite players in this draft.

Thanks bro, needed to hear this :heart:

Now tell me you also love Boltmann

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Keep growing that hair bud, Commodore 2.0 here we come, but with a lot more offense and a lot less defence.

Outstanding value to get him in the 3rd, you can always teach defence, you can't teach this high level offense.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
This kid is the real deal. He has by far the best hands and skill set out of any D men in this draft. If he can be at least average defensively he’ll be a game changer. Any QMJHL guys I see live many times especially ones in the maritimes. I can’t believe we got him at 72. And those “attitude” issues I’ve been hearing aren’t true, he was a real leader for Saint John last season and shows a lot of heart.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Really liked this kid when Friedman and Marek interviewed him for their podcast, he seemed like a leader on that Sea Dogs team even as a 17-18 year old.

I have his TOTS card in NHL20 too, sick player in game :laugh:

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
Trending very steadily so far, he needs out of Saint John ASAP if we’re going to get him playing actual defence. They have zero structure, I think some midget AAA teams I’ve played with have had better structure. It’s ridiculous. I think Charlottetown would be great for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad