Prospect Info: Jeremie Poirier, D, 72nd Overall

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I just read this article. Seeing Poirier has made significant improvements to his D game is really encouraging. The Flames need a dman with Poirier's offense. I assume he'll be playing for the Heat this upcoming season?
Nope, he's not old enough. Doesn't turn 20 until after the upcoming season.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I just read this article. Seeing Poirier has made significant improvements to his D game is really encouraging. The Flames need a dman with Poirier's offense. I assume he'll be playing for the Heat this upcoming season?
Hopefully he trumps out a couple others in training camp. With Caption Gio gone and Hanifiin likely not ready until sometime in November, a spot for the taking is definitely there. Hope he brings his best and can impress Sutter enough to get valuable icetime.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Hopefully he trumps out a couple others in training camp. With Caption Gio gone and Hanifiin likely not ready until sometime in November, a spot for the taking is definitely there. Hope he brings his best and can impress Sutter enough to get valuable icetime.
Or if he doesn't loan him to a Swedish or Finnish pro team, if thats possible. I just don't see how playing a 4th year in the Q is going to help him much.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Or if he doesn't loan him to a Swedish or Finnish pro team, if thats possible. I just don't see how playing a 4th year in the Q is going to help him much.
There's a lot to gain from another season. Potentially playing for a Memorial Cup or even a strong shot at a trip to the WJ tournament. Last season was anything but a normal year and he's not a Swede or a Fin, so I could see how playing in a European market could, potentially, even be detrimental to his development.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
There's a lot to gain from another season. Potentially playing for a Memorial Cup or even a strong shot at a trip to the WJ tournament. Last season was anything but a normal year and he's not a Swede or a Fin, so I could see how playing in a European market could, potentially, even be detrimental to his development.
Maybe send him to a Swiss league team. Sure didn 't hurt Auston Matthews did it?
But I get your points with him getting more icetime and prominent opportunity in final yeaf in the Q.
The other point with the Q especially is it has a way of being detrimental to many a prospects potential pro habits and effort. I believe this is due to a disconnect from the Q coaching methods overall, and AHL/NHL young player assessors and coaching. Too many " bad habits" of cheating on the defensive side and looking for offrnsive opportunity too often, without reprimand or proper coaching. "All about the O-#'s".

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think you might be surprised at how many Swedes speak English. It won't be the culture shock you think. More than 80% of the country speaks English. Fact.
Plus there's nothing wrong with being exposed to different coaches/systems and Sweden has produced some fine defensemen over the years.
Personally I think he would benefit a lot more playing one year in Sweden against men who are pros than playing another year in Fredericton NB against 17-19 year olds for the most part.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think you might be surprised at how many Swedes speak English. It won't be the culture shock you think. More than 80% of the country speaks English. Fact.
Plus there's nothing wrong with being exposed to different coaches/systems and Sweden has produced some fine defensemen over the years.
Personally I think he would benefit a lot more playing one year in Sweden against men who are pros than playing another year in Fredericton NB against 17-19 year olds for the most part.
That must be why so many 19 year old Canadian kids decide to go that route.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That must be why so many 19 year old Canadian kids decide to go that route.
Well its not like the SK league is over here pumping their own tires as an option for Jr hockey players. They're not. Its certainly a road less travelled but with the number of players who went there to play last season its certainly becoming a more viable option for better than average Jrs

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

Swedish and English are part of the same language family. You need to learn the language but it's similarilty makes it a lot easier.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Swedish and English are part of the same language family. You need to learn the language but it's similarilty makes it a lot easier.
That's what I heard. You just have to master the accent to be proficient.

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
That's what I heard. You just have to master the accent to be proficient.

some 10 years ago I was living in Tokyo and while visiting some expat bar another guy asked where I was from because he just couldn't get my accent. His face after I told him was worth it

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Niceeeee.. the most naturally gifted prospect in the organization. Who knows if he puts it all together.

sjq

Sep 16, 2008
Saint John, NB
Other than signing a contract, how was Poirier's training camp been? He won't be playing in the first two pre-season games. Is he getting sent back to Jr soon or will they keep him up a little longer to get a look?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hope Sutter is long gone by the time this kid is in pros. Seeing his treatment of Kylington, this guy won't have a chance.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Did it in pretty much the same amount of games played as well (2 less than Chabot took) so that's pretty darn solid. Flames prospects just be scoring all the time it seems

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad