Confirmed with Link: Jerabek for Cond. 6th Rd Pick

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Are guys not doing their stretches? Perron, Bozak, Fabbri (special circumstance), and Edmundson all have/had groin issues.

Honestly, this makes me question the trainers and strength and conditioning coaches a bit. Those guys can’t prevent big impact injuries like broken bones, concussions etc but according to a guy I know that’s been one of the trainers for the Atlanta Falcons for years, the main goal for these guys should be for virtually none of these little tweaks to happen.

Reactions: Blueston

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Honestly, this makes me question the trainers and strength and conditioning coaches a bit. Those guys can’t prevent big impact injuries like broken bones, concussions etc but according to a guy I know that’s been one of the trainers for the Atlanta Falcons for years, the main goal for these guys should be for virtually none of these little tweaks to happen.
Yeah, it certainly raises some questions. Maybe it’s something to do with a regimen their on or just getting back into game shape but it seems odd for a rash of tweaked groins to happen to multiple guys.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
How many years have we been using the HIIT bike sprints (Vo2Max) tests at training camp? Per recent interview with Reaves, Hitchcock only wanted basic conditioning (treadmill VO2) and strength tests. And JR spoke like the bike sprints were a relatively new thing. I have a hard time 1:1'ing bike sprints to groin issues, but the fact that this has become an epidemic is interesting to say the least.

Last edited:

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Basically it feels like this trade as made so we can try to have Mikkola and Walman a legitimate full year top pairing style defensemen in the AHL. Or at least top 4. Which I'm not opposed to.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
While I don't mind another Czech on the team, I'm a bit puzzled as well. I noticed that the Stars traded for Carrick from the Leafs and only gave up a 7th. Would he have been a better gamble? Don't know much about either guy.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
While I don't mind another Czech on the team, I'm a bit puzzled as well. I noticed that the Stars traded for Carrick from the Leafs and only gave up a 7th. Would he have been a better gamble? Don't know much about either guy.

I would say Carrick is the better player, and he is definitely the more proven NHL player. He is also younger and an RFA. However, he is $300k more expensive. Normally that is no big deal, but it is an important $300k. Carrick makes $275k more than we can bury if we send him down to the AHL. Jerabek costs zero against the cap if sent down. Carrick in the AHL costs $275k against the cap and Jerabek in the AHL costs $0 against the cap. We don't have $275k to spend on a buried contract if everyone is healthy and we are unable move someone. So we could have gotten Carrick, but would have been in trouble if we couldn't move anyone expendable. We didn't want to put ourselves in that position.

Secondly, Jerabek is LHS wheras Carrick is a RHS. Long-term, I'd rather have a RHS due to organizational depth. But our immediate needs are on the left. It is likely we made this move as neither Gunnarsson nor Edmundson is able to go, plus Bortuzzo suspended for 1 game.

Game 1:
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Dunn - Parayko
XXXX - Schmaltz

Once Bortuzzo is back, he can play on the LHS, and XXXX would go to the press box. If XXXX is a lefty, we swap Bortuzzo back to RD if a RD gets hurt. If a LD gets hurt, we we bring in the LHS XXXX. With Carrick a RHS, we'd be very imbalanced if we lost another LD. It would probably necessitate calling up Mikkola, Walman or Wotherspoon, in which case why even sign XXXX

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Basically it feels like this trade as made so we can try to have Mikkola and Walman a legitimate full year top pairing style defensemen in the AHL. Or at least top 4. Which I'm not opposed to.
Still I'm bit 'meh' not giving kids change to play NHL. I think Walman and Mikkola had done great job at pre-season games.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Still I'm bit 'meh' not giving kids change to play NHL. I think Walman and Mikkola had done great job at pre-season games.

It appears that Thomas, Kyrou, Blais and Schmaltz are all making this team. They’re giving plenty of kids a chance, way more than normal anyway.

Or does this have more to do with giving a particular kid a chance that happens to be Finnish? ;)

Reactions: The Note in MI

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

They both did well and showed promise but both still made mistakes and are a bit raw. There is no harm in giving Mikkola more time to adapt to the larger ice surfaces, nor Walman more time to figure out what he can and can't do against better talent. Getting 20 minutes a game with a great developmental coach in san Antonio will make that happen much more quickly than riding the press-box or playing 12-14 minutes in the NHL with coaches who are too busy to spend a ton of time on one prospect. I'd bet that Mikkola especially is higher on the depth chart come the trade deadline than Jerabek. But for now, its the right move to get a expendable guy with more experience in there.

Mar 6, 2012
So what are the conditions on this pick?

I'm guessing that if he plays a certain number of games it becomes a higher pick... anyone know?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
So what are the conditions on this pick?

I'm guessing that if he plays a certain number of games it becomes a higher pick... anyone know?

6th that becomes a 5th if Jerabek plays 50 games for the Blues this season.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I would say Carrick is the better player, and he is definitely the more proven NHL player. He is also younger and an RFA. However, he is $300k more expensive. Normally that is no big deal, but it is an important $300k. Carrick makes $275k more than we can bury if we send him down to the AHL. Jerabek costs zero against the cap if sent down. Carrick in the AHL costs $275k against the cap and Jerabek in the AHL costs $0 against the cap. We don't have $275k to spend on a buried contract if everyone is healthy and we are unable move someone. So we could have gotten Carrick, but would have been in trouble if we couldn't move anyone expendable. We didn't want to put ourselves in that position.

Secondly, Jerabek is LHS wheras Carrick is a RHS. Long-term, I'd rather have a RHS due to organizational depth. But our immediate needs are on the left. It is likely we made this move as neither Gunnarsson nor Edmundson is able to go, plus Bortuzzo suspended for 1 game.

Game 1:
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Dunn - Parayko
XXXX - Schmaltz

Once Bortuzzo is back, he can play on the LHS, and XXXX would go to the press box. If XXXX is a lefty, we swap Bortuzzo back to RD if a RD gets hurt. If a LD gets hurt, we we bring in the LHS XXXX. With Carrick a RHS, we'd be very imbalanced if we lost another LD. It would probably necessitate calling up Mikkola, Walman or Wotherspoon, in which case why even sign XXXX

Thanks for the info!

:cheers:

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Personally I'd prefer Mikkola or Walman for opening night if Edmundson and Gunnarsson are a no-go, simply because they've had plenty of time in T.C. to learn the system and get acclimated to their pairing partners. I would prefer to wait until Jerabek had a few practices under his belt before they threw him into the lineup, but the salary cap may ultimately make that decision for us.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
New Rampage assistant JJ Daigneault was with Habs last year when Jerabek was there. Presumably Army inquired about Jerabek with him and he had good things to say.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Is it possible Jerabek starts the year in the AHL and either Walman or Mikkola make the team? Would Jerabek have to pass through waivers?

Yes, he’d have to pass through waivers. That’s the whole reason why the Oilers wanted to trade him. He didn’t make their team and they didn’t want to lose him for nothing on waivers. The Blues bit because they needed help on the left side with Edmundson and Gunnar hurt.

If he was going to start in the AHL, he would’ve had to have been placed on waivers today so that he’d clear or get claimed by tomorrow. Final rosters are due to the NHL at 4pm Central tomorrow.

So to also answer Ransku’s question, no, Jerabek hasn’t passed through waivers yet. Those reports saying he had were incorrect/misinterpreted.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think they made this move in case Husso is called up in goal. They wouldn't want Mikkola also, because there would be too many new Finns at the same time.
tenor.gif

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I still do not understand. Could they not have just picked up a serviceable LD on waivers? Why waste the 6th?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I still do not understand. Could they not have just picked up a serviceable LD on waivers? Why waste the 6th?
I'd reccomend you go to the waiver wire and enlighten me on who you on the list defenseman is "serviceable?"

The move sucks but it's a 6th. It's not going to amount to much considering we gave the pick to Edmonton and that organization can't draft for shit (and reality is a 6th pick isn't going to amount to much anyways) so it's a whatever move.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
My guess is they like him for San Antonio. He’s an experienced NHL player, and they want the cost certainty of his contract. Some waivers options could have less favorable contracts.

But if Edmundson comes right back, Jerabek may never make the 23 man roster. It could end up being a fizzled out trade that fritters away a 6th. Oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad