Confirmed with Link: Jerabek for Cond. 6th Rd Pick

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Jerabek should absolutely make the team. Him, Bouw, Petro, Eddy, Parayko, Dunn, Bortz, Schmaltz can be the 8 d-men. It's looking like we'll only need to be carrying 13 forwards so it works.

I'd like to see what he's got. He's only 27 and both some Habs and Caps fans said it looks like he has potential to at least be a bottom-pairing guy. Even Oilers fans said he just got off to a rough start in camp but was solid the last 2 games.

Our d-core is looking great. As are our forwards. So much talented youth.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
It's possible that we carry 8 D-men and he would be the 8th. Its also possible that they believe he will clear waivers and make it to the AHL, which makes him the first call up instead of Butler. Walman and Mikkola need to be playing, so they shouldn't be up this season unless they're playing.

Ultimately, this move may have something (or everything) to do with Gunnarsson's situation.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I still think this was a needless transaction. Bortuzzo will be back after the first game. We are talking about one freakin' game here. They could have just plugged Butler in, and guess what? With Jerabek's visa issues, that's what is going to happen anyway! This annoys me more than the Jaskin situation, as it seems Armstrong didn't really have a choice in that one. I know it is really inconsequential, and I realize it is only a 6th. It is still a needless waste of an asset.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I still think this was a needless transaction. Bortuzzo will be back after the first game. We are talking about one freakin' game here. They could have just plugged Butler in, and guess what? With Jerabek's visa issues, that's what is going to happen anyway! This annoys me more than the Jaskin situation, as it seems Armstrong didn't really have a choice in that one. I know it is really inconsequential, and I realize it is only a 6th. It is still a needless waste of an asset.
If he fails to clear waivers it will look bad, but maybe they want him more for AHL depth. That’s what I thought. That and they’re pretty sour on Butler (though why is he starting over Mikkola?)

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Seems like they didn't get him to send him down.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don’t see how they keep him up if everyone is healthy unless they trade a defender. And I don’t think Armstrong is the kind of guy to keep him up just out of pride.
Not saying he won't eventually go down after Gunnar returns, but listening to Army and reading into what he said, this wasn't done to cover for Borts suspension or to provide AHL depth.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Not saying he won't eventually go down after Gunnar returns, but listening to Army and reading into what he said, this wasn't done to cover for Borts suspension or to provide AHL depth.
See this is what I just don't understand. When healthy, we have Edmundson, Dunn and Bouwmeester as our top 3 LD. Gunnarsson is still on the roster, Butler plays LD, and we have Mikkola and Walman waiting in the wings. why on earth do we need Jerabek?

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
See this is what I just don't understand. When healthy, we have Edmundson, Dunn and Bouwmeester as our top 3 LD. Gunnarsson is still on the roster, Butler plays LD, and we have Mikkola and Walman waiting in the wings. why on earth do we need Jerabek?
Part of issue I think is we don't seem to actually have cap space for Gunnar. When he is ready, something has to give. Not sure if it means him dealt when healthy or Jaybo or what, but signing Maroon put us in real cap bind.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
We can speculate until we are Blue in the face. But it won’t be until Gunny is healthy, that we will see what Armstrong is up too.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If Jerabek is one of the top 7 defenders, then great. Maybe he will push a Blues prospect down the depth chart, but make the team better.

It sure feels like there is more to this move than what we know. I have to think Gunnarsson will be dealt as soon as he’s ready to play.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Personally I think we’re just gonna trade Gunnar, keep Jerabek, and roll 13F-8D when fully healthy. Might as well since we don’t have to worry about waivers for anyone up front but Sundqvist(who should clear), and Soshnikov(who will likely be in lineup when actually healthy).

I’m fine with rolling this on the back end and letting Walman/Mikkola get AHL experience.

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Schmaltz
Jerabek-Bortuzzo

Reactions: BlueDream

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I guess it's all about dollars. Gunnarsson is a much, much better defenseman than Jerabek, but I am guessing the team can't justify paying Gunnar's salary to sit in the press box. I understand the financial realities, but there is still a risk involved. I have no confidence in having Jerabek as our first LD callup. He is an offensive-minded defenseman who's actual offensive ability does not compensate for his defensive liabilities. The Oilers were desperate for D-men, and he couldn't crack that lineup! Believe it or not, I'd rather have Butler as the 8th D. (And I am not a Butler fan!).

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that Jerabek has a different style of play than Gunnarssons, Butler, Jaybo, Edmundson, and maybe Mikkola. From what I've gathered, he's more of an OD with good passing, skating, and playmaking.

Edit: just read the end of the post above that did mention this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad