Confirmed with Link: Jerabek for Cond. 6th Rd Pick

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Does this mean 1 (or more) of our projected starters are expected to be out for a while? Or that we are dealing someone else? I don't object to picking him up for low cost, just having trouble understanding motivation with 8 presumed NHL defenesemen already here.

Reactions: The Note in MI

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Presumably, this means that Gunnarson may not be available to start the season?

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I mean he hasn’t played a preseason game or practiced with full contact so...

But. We have like three dmen that can play.

I just did a count and it looks like San Antonio only has 6 defensemen but I could be wrong, so maybe some depth. Who knows though. Bortuzzo suspended and Gunnar not ready but you have Schmaltz, Bouwmeester, Dunn, Parayko, Petro, and Edmundson....why the need?

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I could only imagine this being a depth move to San Antonio. But why trade a pick and then have to expose him to waivers?

I gotta think something else is abrew here.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
This makes sense if 1. Gunnarsson is going on IR, and 2. any of the other regulars (Dunn?) are banged up enough to be out for a couple games. Sure, you could play Mikkola, Walman, Reinke, or Butler...oh, wait, no, this doesn't really make sense.

Maybe he got a set of keys to Wilson's place while he was on the Capitals and the Blues are planning revenge.

Last edited:

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I’m quite puzzled by this. I mean it’s a conditional 6th but I don’t see a way this makes sense. Unless it’s just more depth for San Antonio.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
If you have to go out and grab a depth guy, why a lefty? They must not think a) Gunnarsson is going to be able to play anytime soon and (b)Walman and Mikkola are not ready for a a call-up yet.

Its a 6th round pick, and depth is good, so whatever. but weird move. Maybe there is a D trade on the way. Schmaltz for something more substantial than a 6th

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
If you have to go out and grab a depth guy, why a lefty? They must not think a) Gunnarsson is going to be able to play anytime soon and (b)Walman and Mikkola are not ready for a a call-up yet.

Its a 6th round pick, and depth is good, so whatever. but weird move. Maybe there is a D trade on the way. Schmaltz for something more substantial than a 6th
all the lip service seems to be pointing to otherwise. Strange move unless we have other moves in the works

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Healthy: Petro, Parayko, Edmundson, JBo, Schmaltz, Dunn
Suspended: Bortuzzo
Injured: Gunnarson?

If Gunnarson is injured, then Jerabek is the 7th defenseman until Bortuzzo comes back, at which time he can be assigned to San Antonio without going through waivers again.

The 6th round pick becomes a 5th if he plays more than 50 NHL games, and he's spent a decent amount of time in the NHL already, so it's possible that this is:

- Insurance on Schmaltz getting claimed on waivers or traded
- Cheap depth to let Walman get consistent time in San Antonio
- Preparation for moving Gunnarson once healthy

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
We have 8 defensemen, so even if Gunnarsson is injured then we still have our 7. Bortuzzo is suspended one game, so keep Mikkola or Walman on the roster and use them as the extra.

Or claim someone off waivers in the next 24 hours. Everything seems to have been pointing to Jeřábek getting put on waivers, which apparently hasn't happened so far.

$1m is a pretty steep AHL salary as well, so I imagine that we see him as someone who is potentially going to be on the NHL roster a fair bit this season, even if it just as the 7th.

The only way this makes sense if there is something going on that we'll find out about soon, knowing our luck it is probably another injured defenseman.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
all the lip service seems to be pointing to otherwise. Strange move unless we have other moves in the works

Yea, that's what makes it weird. Although the Blues have paid lip service to young guys with no intention of trusting them in the past. They generally speak very positively about younger players in the press even when those players are destined for the minors....except Barbashev who they alternate publicly flog and praise every other press conference.

It could just very well be opportunity. Edmonton wanted to move him (which is weird cause they just signed him) and Blues pro scouts liked him. Maybe we offered him a 2-way depth contract and edmonton gave him a 2-way, but decided it was worth the money to stash him in the A. :dunno:

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
JR saying edmundson dealing with a groin issue right now. So might be some more insight there.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I feel another domino has to fall.

It’d make sense for 1 game due to the Borts suspension but once Borts can play Game 2, then they’re back to 8 d-men, 9 counting Gunnar.

So if the plan is to keep 8 d-men for a while, then that’d mean fewer forwards can be on the roster.

Or another move yet today is coming.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
JR saying edmundson dealing with a groin issue right now. So might be some more insight there.
I don't like to hear that.

I don't know much of anything about Jerabek so whatever. Hopefully Eddy's injury isn't too serious.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Reading some scouting reports on Jerabek, he could have some upside. Last year was his first in NA. He played in Czech and KHL previously. He is an offensive defenseman and decent PP QB. He doesn't have the best shot but is mobile and a good passer. He is smaller (5'11", 200 lbs) but tries to play physical and isn't afraid to take the body or block shots. He is ok defensively.

He got signed by Montreal to a one year deal and showed some promise but didn't ever really gel. He was traded to Washington where he only got a few games. Signed by Edmonton, probably to replace Sekera, and I'd guess he got beat out by younger guys Bouchard and Bear. But I don't know the specifics there.

Here is a sick assist from his days in the Czech league (He's #5, the guy skating around the entire opposing team):

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

That’s probably the domino right there then.

Hopefully Edmundson’s groin injury isn’t too bad.

The Blues would have the Cap room to do all of this if they can put Gunnar on LTIR as well.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
If this guy looks like serviceable depth then I'd expect Gunnar traded when he returns, assuming everyone else is healthy at the time.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Gunnarsson doesn't seem ready and if Edmundson is out for a bit, then this move makes some sense. Walman/Mikkola should be in the AHL and Butler is just bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad