Player Discussion Jeff Skinner

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
He is having a down year, but there is nothing to suggest it isn't an outlier year (as was last year's insane production). His play will return to a very good ES goal scorer.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I’m so unconcerned about Jeff Skinner personally. If he was on Jack’s line he’d be on pace for 40 again.

But he’s not, and he’s shown in the past to be a guy that doesn’t need Jack to score 30 goals. He’s on pace for 22 goals. He’s received a substantial raise and a NMC for much much more than just being Jack’s wingman. He’s a guy Botterill was counting on to be much more.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
But he’s not, and he’s shown in the past to be a guy that doesn’t need Jack to score 30 goals. He’s on pace for 22 goals. He’s received a substantial raise and a NMC for much much more than just being Jack’s wingman. He’s a guy Botterill was counting on to be much more.
Eh... he was on pace for 30 ES goals in December. We suck. He got hurt. It happens. Not saying he’s not to blame at all, but most people have suck recentcy bias. 2 months ago the guy was more than fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: k8prisoner

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Before getting hurt, he was 11th in the NHL in even strength goals. To be fair, that is a slightly down year for him, but not by much. I'm not worried about Skinner.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Eh... he was on pace for 30 ES goals in December. We suck. He got hurt. It happens. Not saying he’s not to blame at all, but most people have suck recentcy bias. 2 months ago the guy was more than fine.

no, he wasn’t.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Before getting hurt, he was 11th in the NHL in even strength goals. To be fair, that is a slightly down year for him, but not by much. I'm not worried about Skinner.

When you are cherry picking narrow metrics like that (especially when they don't apply any more), you should be.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

The only month this season his play has been adequate is October.

His 4 goals and 9 points in his subsequent 32 games is not third line production, let alone elite first line.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
The only month this season his play has been adequate is October.

His 4 goals and 9 points in his subsequent 32 games is not third line production, let alone elite first line.
Right. And I’m saying that production won’t continue into the future. Based on...the rest of his career.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Right. And I’m saying that production won’t continue into the future. Based on...the rest of his career.

That's nice, I don't think it will either. But this season (and all the games since October) mattered, and we wasted a potential Hart season from Eichel and are basically eliminated from playoff contention with 30 games to go because we got no secondary scoring the whole year.

Skinner needed to play at least close to the level he was at in 18-19 throughout the majority of the contract for it to be somewhat feasible. Yes, he will almost certainly be better next year but that's not really saying anything.

Reactions: Samsonite23

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
That's nice, I don't think it will either. But this season (and all the games since October) mattered, and we wasted a potential Hart season from Eichel and are basically eliminated from playoff contention with 30 games to go because we got no secondary scoring the whole year.

Skinner needed to play at least close to the level he was at in 18-19 throughout the majority of the contract for it to be somewhat feasible. Yes, he will almost certainly be better next year but that's not really saying anything.
Don’t disagree with any of that really. I don’t think he’s been at his best for a while. It’s going to happen with almost all goal scorers. But half the time in the past 2 months he’s been injured. So basically, he had a bad month, maybe month and a half, with crappy line mates. That’s going to happen.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Jeff Skinners memoirs:
"Came to Buffalo, what I lost in love for the game I won back in dollars"
The end

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Jeff got paid because he knows how to get in scoring position and make it count more often than most. Snipers do not drive lines, they make line drivers more productive. Put him on Eichel's wing and you will get what you paid for. Give him marginal line mates and ask him to be the driver of the play and you will be unhappy with your money spent. If the Sabers paid him the big bucks thinking he was something else then that is their fault not Jeff's. Give him a decent center and wing that drive possession and can feed him the puck. Then the money will be better spent.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
When you are cherry picking narrow metrics like that (especially when they don't apply any more), you should be.

Even strength goals is hardly some obscure nothing stat. It's what Skinner got paid to do. And, but for his injury this season, he'd probably still be doing very well in that area.

In any case, overpaying Skinner by $1-1.5M is the last thing I'm gonna waste my time worrying about with this team.

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
Seriously they have a 2rd line RW playing center on his line.

like wtf...

If they go into next year without trading for a legit 2C, it’s going to be another year of no playoffs.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
So much over-reacting about Skinner and what this season means. He was relied on to help form a legit 2nd scoring line. Not sure about everyone else here, but I could easily tell you in October that he wouldn't match last season's production in that role, with no legit 2nd RW on the roster and Johansson doing his best to fill in at 2C.

"Wasting Eichel's season"? Uh...this season was never going to end in playoff success. Maybe a chance at winning a round, but so what? This season was bound to end with less than whatever it might mean to "make Eichel's season count". Skinner is about 10th on the list of reasons why this team isn't good enough right now. Get at least one more top-six FW for him to play with and then we can re-visit his value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad