Player Discussion Jeff Skinner

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He literally played Skinner with Sobotka in Ralphs 1st coached game no? And Johansson at center? LOL

How is that screwing someone over?? Nonsense.

Management screwed over the team, and Kruger sucked as a coach. But people act like he had it out for Skinner and that he was personally alighted. Which is not true. He played with shitty line mates because he doesn’t use his line mates well, and plays a solo game.

Same thing every coach did to him - those other teams just didn’t have players as bad as Sobotka, that’s the only difference.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
How is that screwing someone over?? Nonsense.

Management screwed over the team, and Kruger sucked as a coach. But people act like he had it out for Skinner and that he was personally alighted. Which is not true. He played with shitty line mates because he doesn’t use his line mates well, and plays a solo game.

Same thing every coach did to him - those other teams just didn’t have players as bad as Sobotka, that’s the only difference.
His style was good enough for his linemates in 2019.

The fact is that we had an actual top line and made the decision to dismantle it

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
His style was good enough for his linemates in 2019.

The fact is that we had an actual top line and made the decision to dismantle it

Yes, because he wanted to spread out scoring, not to punish Skinner.

You guys really go out of your way to paint Skinner as a victim, it's ridiculous. Pure nonsense. He's a victim of his own poor habits, that's about it.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Yes, because he wanted to spread out scoring, not to punish Skinner.

You guys really go out of your way to paint Skinner as a victim, it's ridiculous. Pure nonsense. He's a victim of his own poor habits, that's about it.
It's funny that we had a guy in reino that did well away from eichel and skinner who did well with eichel so our solution to spread out scoring was stapling reinhart with eichel.

It's also kind of a joke how resistant Ralph was to changing things and trying eichel with skinner while our scoring struggled.

Good luck selling the player and the room as a whole that you're doing it for "more scoring" while scoring is at a historical low.

Why wasn't sam or VO moved into a depth scoring role? The top line barely did anything but since they had some principles we were fine running it back nightly

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Does Girgensons actually need to be protected after missing all of last season?

He is exposure eligible based on the 27/54 rule. ( 27 GP last year, 54 GP the last 2 years, and he played 69 2 years ago.)

Although he should also be exempt based on the more than 60 consecutive games missed rule too.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm surprised skin dog was willing to play ball. Good on Adams for convincing him to waive.

Where does it say they convinced him to waive it? Adams asked, and the agent and Jeff talked and made the decision to waive it. While it's good that he asked, that's expecting the bare minimum to be done from a GM.

CrazyWayne

Dec 15, 2018
It probably didn't hurt that botts and Ron francis are in Seattle

Is this skinner buying in to the new sabres going forward or is it him saying he wants out as well?

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017

Is this skinner buying in to the new sabres going forward or is it him saying he wants out as well?

I don't think it's saying a whole lot other than Skinner is willing to take a very small chance he'll end up in Seattle in order to help Buffalo with the expansion draft.

Reactions: Buffaloed

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Where does it say they convinced him to waive it? Adams asked, and the agent and Jeff talked and made the decision to waive it. While it's good that he asked, that's expecting the bare minimum to be done from a GM.
You think Skinner waived without any assurances or convincing from Kevyn?

In your mind the convo went like this?

Kevyn: Hey skin dawg, waive your NMC

Skinner + Agent: aight

In my mind it went like this:

Kevyn: Hey skin dawg, I asked seattle what it would cost us in a trade for them to take you in the xpac draft. They said 9 first round picks. So can you waive for us? We really want to keep Asplund and there's no chance they select you if you're exposed. You'd be doing the team a huge solid.

edit: Yeah its the bare minimum, and the actual details of the conversation weren't reported on. But I don't see skinner waiving without some convincing on Kevyn's part. Unless Skinner wants out of Buffalo, which hasn't been reported on at all.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Skinner agreed to a very low risk thing to help his team. Sabres did their job asking. Skinner helped out to team agreeing. Is there more to it?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Kevyn: Hey skin dawg, I asked seattle what it would cost us in a trade for them to take you in the xpac draft. They said 9 first round picks. So can you waive for us? We really want to keep Asplund and there's no chance they select you if you're exposed. You'd be doing the team a huge solid.

edit: Yeah its the bare minimum, and the actual details of the conversation weren't reported on. But I don't see skinner waiving without some convincing on Kevyn's part. Unless Skinner wants out of Buffalo, which hasn't been reported on at all.

Optimistically:
Adams: Hey (Skinner's Agent), we feel good that Jeff wouldn't be selected by Seattle in the expansion draft based on our conversations with Seattle, but we are looking to create a spot to help our organization out so we can protect another player we had in mind. Would you ask Jeff if he's willing to waive his NMC to help us out?

Agent: Sure. Let me ask Jeff.

Agent to Skinner: Hey Jeff, Adams is looking to open up a spot so he can protect another player in the organization. He's asking if you would be willing to waive your NMC, he feels comfortable you won't be selected by Seattle as they had conversations about the direction they were going, and you weren't a part of their plans.

Jeff: Sure, I'll waive it to help the team out.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Pessimistically (somewhat):
Adams: Hey (Skinner's Agent), we had conversations internally about the direction we are going. We are going in a rebuild and need to look at our finances, and in our discussions with Francis, they feel strongly about Jeff, and they were interested in acquiring him. We are looking at options to make a trade with them, and we're curious if Jeff would be willing to waive his NMC.

Agent: Let me ask Jeff.

Agent to Skinner: Hey Jeff, Seattle seems to like you a lot, and with Francis and Botterill, two men that like and know you well, they may be looking to acquire you. Buffalo is going into a rebuild and they are looking to reset on their finance structure of their contract, and they are curious if you would be willing waive your NMC. How strongly do you feel about staying in Buffalo now that they are moving on from Jack and Sam are most likely trading them away. Are you willing to stay in Buffalo?

Jeff: I'm willing to waive my NMC as I don't feel staying with Buffalo is no longer in my plans. I'm not too sure if I'm willing to stay here for a rebuild in Buffalo.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
To be clear, the NMC waive is ONLY for the purposes of the expansion draft. He has not blanket waived that clause.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

As I've mentioned below, I can see a situation where both scenarios CAN be true.

But I do think it says something that a guy quite quickly waived his NMC that he just agreed to two offseasons ago. He may be having buyers remorse and wanting out of Buffalo as soon as possible.

Or he's just confident enough that Seattle won't pick him and he's helping them out.

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006

Optimistically:
Adams: Hey (Skinner's Agent), we feel good that Jeff wouldn't be selected by Seattle in the expansion draft based on our conversations with Seattle, but we are looking to create a spot to help our organization out so we can protect another player we had in mind. Would you ask Jeff if he's willing to waive his NMC to help us out?

Agent: Sure. Let me ask Jeff.

Agent to Skinner: Hey Jeff, Adams is looking to open up a spot so he can protect another player in the organization. He's asking if you would be willing to waive your NMC, he feels comfortable you won't be selected by Seattle as they had conversations about the direction they were going, and you weren't a part of their plans.

Jeff: Sure, I'll waive it to help the team out.
______________________________________________________________________________________

Adams: Hey (Skinner's Agent), we had conversations internally about the direction we are going. We are going in a rebuild and need to look at our finances, and in our discussions with Francis, they feel strongly about Jeff, and they were interested in acquiring him. We are looking at options to make a trade with them, and we're curious if Jeff would be willing to waive his NMC.

Agent to Skinner: Hey Jeff, Seattle seems to like you a lot, and with Francis and Botterill, two men that like and know you well, they may be looking to acquire you. Buffalo is going into a rebuild and they are looking to reset on their finance structure of their contract, and they are curious if you would be willing waive your NMC. How strongly do you feel about staying in Buffalo now that they are moving on from Jack and Sam are most likely trading them away. Are you willing to stay in Buffalo?

Jeff: I'm willing to waive my NMC as I don't feel staying with Buffalo is no longer in my plans. I'm not too sure if I'm willing to stay here for a rebuild in Buffalo.

I prefer to believe the BFLO version of these discussions is valid, purely because it's much more entertaining to think of KA routinely using nicknames like 'Skin-dawg' in his everyday lingo when there aren't any camera around.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Optimistically:

Skinner played a role in getting both Francis and Botterill fired. Francis considered him a core player and Dundon didn't think he fit the identity of the kind of team he wanted to have.

Elliotte Friedman noted on his 31 Thoughts podcast, there were times that Botterill and the Pegula’s have differing opinions on contracts and roster decisions. Friedman explained:
“I don’t think Botterill wanted to give Jack Eichel that contract and ownership said “we’re doing it”. And I don’t think Botterill wanted to give Jeff Skinner that deal. I think what Botterill wanted to do was offer big money for a low term. … Jason Botterill, from what I heard, is not a “term guy”. He says too many teams get burned by those mistakes and I think he was overruled. I think what they’re looking at right here is: There’s a finite amount of time here before Eichel says “I had enough.””
Real Reason For Sabres Changes: Where Pegulas and Botterill Butted Heads - NHL Trade Talk

I doubt if either of these guys want anything to do with Skinner. I'd file their presence under optimistic.

Reactions: Jacob582

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad