Player Discussion Jeff Skinner

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Who we protecting now with Skinner moving his clause? Tage Thompson played the best under Granato, Asplund maybe?

Eichel
Reinhart
Olofsson
Mittelstadt
Bjork
Thompson
Asplund

Dahlin
Jokiharju
Risto

Tokarski

As it stands IMO.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Eichel
Reinhart
Olofsson
Mittelstadt
Bjork
Thompson
Asplund

Dahlin
Jokiharju
Risto

Tokarski

As it stands IMO.

They can't protect Tokarski. They are required to expose one goaltender who is under contract for next season. I believe they can protect Ulmark to keep the Kraken from speaking to him in their early free agent access period, but that is it. And I'm not 100% sure on that.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Movin on Up

The NHL's 10 worst contracts, 2021 edition: Drew Doughty retains his title but Sharks are coming for him

Contract: $9M x six years
Surplus Value: -$43.9M
Positive Value Probability: 9.9 percent

It truly boggles my mind how some teams operate.
Buffalo trades for Jeff Skinner: good.
Buffalo plays Skinner with Jack Eichel: great.
Skinner scores 40 goals next to Eichel: amazing.
Buffalo pays 27-year-old Skinner as if he will score 40 goals for eight years as if it had nothing to do with the franchise center he was playing with: awful.
Buffalo stops playing Skinner with Eichel in the first year of his contract: bad.
Skinner scores 21 goals over his next 112 games: horrific.
It would’ve been very difficult to predict that Skinner would drop off in such catastrophic fashion, but the signs were all there that this would not be a great contract from the get-go. That type of deal should be reserved for a player who can drive his own line as a legitimate top-line talent. Skinner looked much more like a complementary talent and while Buffalo needed to overpay to get him to stay, the Sabres would’ve been much better off letting him walk. The bigger issue is that Skinner not only wasn’t a top-line scorer post-contract, he turned into someone who could barely score at all. The deal went from bad value to nearly league-worst value.
Based on his last two years this is going to be a very difficult deal to live up to. His positive value probability is the lowest of any forward and it’s because his future value doesn’t hold much upside. He needs to average 2.4 wins for the life of his deal, but the top end of his comps – the 90th percentile range – maxes out at around 1.8 wins over the next two seasons. After that things get even bleaker. In the final year of his deal, Skinner has just a one percent chance of being a $9 million player. His current top comp is Darren Helm which is far from a good thing.
On a depleted Buffalo team, Skinner should have more opportunity in a bigger role to regain some of his scoring touch. But without Eichel, there’s no way he’s coming anywhere close to bringing the requisite value to be worth his deal going into his 30s. What a disaster.

I mean, Jeff is going to get all the opportunities to score with this lineup. I'm very curious how he works with this forward lineup.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Wouldn't it be wild if he put up 35 goals this season? For long stretches, it seemed like he generated a lot of chances for himself but couldn't buy a goal.
I wouldn't mind if he saved some up for 22-23 when we are supposed to be good.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
My unpopular hot take is he scores 30 again, this year or next. If he ends up on Jacks line, I bet he does it again
I think he will in his contract year. :sarcasm:

Or when he decides to commit to winning and come into training camp in good shape.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Just give him all offensive zone starts, feed him PP and hope he delivers at a good pace, then deal him with retention at deadline.

Cut the losses, even though they hurt.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Does anyone here know why Kruger benched him? Did that feud ever come to light?

I always just assumed it was because Kruger was the worst HC in Sabres history, and generally didn't have a clue.

Was there more to it?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

I always just assumed it was because Kruger was the worst HC in Sabres history, and generally didn't have a clue.

Was there more to it?
He didn't fit the f***ing Krueger system? :laugh:

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Was there more to it?
Never came to light.

Krueger was trying to establish accountability with Skinner. So was he not working hard enough? or not following the system?

Just trying to motivate or change him I guess. I think that Granato and Adam realize that method was tried and doesn't work with Skinner.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island

Was there more to it?
The whole RK experiment was just odd for its entirety. That said, I believe Skinner (to be kind) is a mighty hard guy to coach.

ChadBigly

May 5, 2021
I believe Skinner (to be kind) is a mighty hard guy to coach.

it certainly looks that way. the guy not only CAN NOT STOP chasing the puck around like its peewee- he literally has to face the puck at all times hahaha... watch him and only him when he's on the ice, it's ridiculous.

Reactions: Jacob582

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Never came to light.

Krueger was trying to establish accountability with Skinner. So was he not working hard enough? or not following the system?

Just trying to motivate or change him I guess. I think that Granato and Adam realize that method was tried and doesn't work with Skinner.
krueger seems like the type of guy to not have any real logical reason for making decisions. skinner could have literally been in the dog house cause ralph is a nut job. just like he lied about jacks injury replayed the same housley era bs about executing. let’s try not to over think this. ralph didn’t know what he was doing, but was good enough in press conferences to make people believe he did

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
So I didn't watch the game but Skinner shows up on the wrong end on many, many highlights. Is he even trying at this point?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
So I didn't watch the game but Skinner shows up on the wrong end on many, many highlights. Is he even trying at this point?
He gets a lot of money and doesn't need anything, the problem is that other players suffer because of his lazy play.

Reactions: Jacob582

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
I can't wait until he's gone. I hated the trade when it happened, was vocal about it. Yes, he played well on Eichel's wing. Who wouldn't? He's garbage otherwise. What year will we be able to get him off of the team? Nobody will ever trade for him, so it's buyout or minors. Anyone have a breakdown of those numbers by year?

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I can't wait until he's gone. I hated the trade when it happened, was vocal about it. Yes, he played well on Eichel's wing. Who wouldn't? He's garbage otherwise. What year will we be able to get him off of the team? Nobody will ever trade for him, so it's buyout or minors. Anyone have a breakdown of those numbers by year?
Assuming CapFriendly is correct, see below if buyout is in June next year. I'm sure someone can put it in year by year to see how it tracks.

upload_2021-10-29_18-52-42.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad